Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Old 09-17-21, 03:55 PM
dougpgreen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
Did your rims come with rim tape applied? Mine did not, only the nylon rim strap which will need to be replaced with tape. Annoying...
Believe it or not, I tried it with the rim strap and no tape and it seems to be working. It looked tight enough to work. I'll probably swap it out for tape the next time I have the tires off.
Old 09-17-21, 04:00 PM
dougpgreen

I finally got enough posts to allow me to show pictures. These are our bikes on NBD. I outlined the changes I made above. The biggest difference in my wifes' was to change her tires to Rhombus Pros running tubeless. She has had a few crashes and wanted to get more control on the rough gravel roads that make up 90% of our riding. I'm not ready to give up my pathfinder pros yet, although I wish they were 42s and not 38s.

Last edited by dougpgreen; 09-18-21 at 11:57 AM. Reason: fix typos
Likes For dougpgreen:
Old 09-18-21, 04:12 AM
Lady82

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
The last couple of bike shops from whom I've bought new bikes had a folder in a file catalog system for each bike. When you bought a bike from the floor, they'd go to their folder system, pull out the folder for that bike, and all the stuff that came with the bike was there (owner's manual, any hex wrenches, etc.). They'd either just give me the whole folder or they'd give me the stuff in the folder and they'd peel off the ID label and use that folder for the next new bike they built. I think that's a great way to build customer confidence in the shop (attention to detail, organization, etc.).
very civilized!
Old 09-18-21, 04:13 AM
Lady82

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dougpgreen
I finally got enough posts to allow me to show pictures. These are our bike on NBD. I outlined the changes I made above. THe biggest difference in my Wifes was to change her tires to Rhombus Pros running tubeles. She has had a few crashes and wanted to get more control on the rough gravel roads that make up 90% of our riding. I'm not ready to give up my pathfinder pros yet, although I wish they were 42s and not 38s.
these are so nice!
Are they even the same size?
Old 09-18-21, 07:03 AM
bmwpowere36m3

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Believe it or not, I tried it with the rim strap and no tape and it seems to be working. It looked tight enough to work. I'll probably swap it out for tape the next time I have the tires off.
I ended up removing the rim straps and put down 2 wraps of WTB 24mm tape. While the front may have held, after opening the rear, I noted the strap was folded and pushed over to the side. Now to see if the supplied valves hold... I did trim the washer a bit to better fit the profile of the drop.

Old 09-18-21, 11:01 AM
dougpgreen

Originally Posted by Lady82
these are so nice!
Are they even the same size?
mine is large, hers medium.
Old 09-18-21, 11:56 AM
dougpgreen

I ended up removing the rim straps and put down 2 wraps of WTB 24mm tape. While the front may have held, after opening the rear, I noted the strap was folded and pushed over to the side. Now to see if the supplied valves hold... I did trim the washer a bit to better fit the profile of the drop.
Maybe it's just dumb luck, but I inspected the rim straps and they looked pristine and tight to the rims. I've only had problems with a very slow leakage on one of the 4 wheels and I think I chased that down to a valve core. At this point I really want to undo all of it and put on tape and replace the valves with ones that fit the rims better, but at present it ain't broke. I'm probably going to just buy the materials for at least one bike and have them handy if I run into issues. I don't know which is more un-nerving, when something is supposed to work and doesn't or when something is working for you and you find out it shouldn't.
Old 09-20-21, 07:37 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
I'm not ready to give up my pathfinder pros yet, although I wish they were 42s and not 38s.
Measure your tires. You may be pleasantly surprised that they are larger than 40. My girlfriend has a SirrusX and the tires measure 41+
Old 09-20-21, 08:13 AM
RH64

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Does anyone know the weight of the wheelset on the Sirrus X? They look pretty nice for stock aluminum wheels.
Old 09-20-21, 08:44 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by RH64
Does anyone know the weight of the wheelset on the Sirrus X? They look pretty nice for stock aluminum wheels.
Which Sirrus X? The stock wheelset on the 5.0 looks nice enough, and is strong, but boat-anchor heavy. I haven't bothered to weigh mine, but probably around 2000 - 2100 grams. Pretty typical for 'stock' wheels at that pricepoint.
Old 09-20-21, 04:42 PM
dougpgreen

Originally Posted by prj71
Measure your tires. You may be pleasantly surprised that they are larger than 40. My girlfriend has a SirrusX and the tires measure 41+
Does she have a Sirrus X 5.0? The 4.0 and below come with 42mm pathfinder sports.
Old 09-20-21, 05:31 PM
RH64

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I meant the X 5.0 as pictured above. Are they sold separately?
Old 09-21-21, 07:58 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Does she have a Sirrus X 5.0? The 4.0 and below come with 42mm pathfinder sports.
Yes it's a 5.0.

Tires say 700 x 38 on them but they measure much larger.
Old 09-22-21, 04:08 AM
Lady82

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Pathfinders 700X42 in reality measure closer to 45-46 for me.
Old 09-24-21, 08:16 PM
bmwpowere36m3

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Maybe it's just dumb luck, but I inspected the rim straps and they looked pristine and tight to the rims. I've only had problems with a very slow leakage on one of the 4 wheels and I think I chased that down to a valve core. At this point I really want to undo all of it and put on tape and replace the valves with ones that fit the rims better, but at present it ain't broke. I'm probably going to just buy the materials for at least one bike and have them handy if I run into issues. I don't know which is more un-nerving, when something is supposed to work and doesn't or when something is working for you and you find out it shouldn't.
Picked up another puncture, rear this time, on our trip Provincetown... it must be related to the high TPI/thin/supple tires with minimal thread depth. I don't recall having so many flats in such a short period of time. Good thing I brought my tubeless conversion supplies on the trip and started with the freshly punctured rear.

Ordered a set of OrangeSeal 48mm valve stems off Amazon, which come with two styles of gasket (cone and round wedge) and o-ring seal for stem nut. I used the wedge gasket and put in ~75 mL of OrangeSeal endurance. So far, the wheel is holding pressure and I've had no issues on a few rides.
Old 09-30-21, 07:48 PM
bmwpowere36m3

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
A little bit of weight-savings from the tubeless conversion, but the biggest difference I found is the increase in suppleness (at the same psi) and less rolling resistance or effort to move. So overall I'm very happy with the switch to tubeless.

As far as weights:
- 147g tube (28-38C)
+ 5g tubeless valve stem (48mm)
+ 90g OS endurance (90mL)

I didn't weigh the factory rim strap vs. WTB tape, I'll call it a wash. I also installed a CG-R "cobble gobbler" 350 mm carbon seat post... but, tire pressure and tubeless made a bigger difference to comfort. I would put in order: tire pressure > tubeless > carbon seat post

Exceptions might be sprung seat post like the Redshift, Kinekt or Canyon VCLS 2.0.
Old 10-01-21, 07:11 AM
dougpgreen

A little bit of weight-savings from the tubeless conversion, but the biggest difference I found is the increase in suppleness (at the same psi) and less rolling resistance or effort to move. So overall I'm very happy with the switch to tubeless.

As far as weights:
- 147g tube (28-38C)
+ 5g tubeless valve stem (48mm)
+ 90g OS endurance (90mL)

I didn't weigh the factory rim strap vs. WTB tape, I'll call it a wash. I also installed a CG-R "cobble gobbler" 350 mm carbon seat post... but, tire pressure and tubeless made a bigger difference to comfort. I would put in order: tire pressure > tubeless > carbon seat post

Exceptions might be sprung seat post like the Redshift, Kinekt or Canyon VCLS 2.0.
My experience is similar. I have a redshift shockstop seatpost. It made a substantial difference when I was running 50PSI+ in 42mm tires with tubes. I could see how it would be a game changer to someone running higher pressure 32mm tires on gravel or roads. Now that I am running tubeless at pressures in the 30s, even with slightly smaller 38mm tires, there is no real difference in general comfort using the Redshift, but it does give me the ability to stay seated over larger bumps. To anyone considering a suspension post, I would definitely redommend larger tubeless tires and lower pressure as a better investment for a first step, and the shockstop post if you still feel the need after that.
Old 10-01-21, 06:49 PM
iwantabike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First post

In May I found the Sirrus 6.0 black/rainbow and knew this was the bike. And since May I haven't been able to find it. A Specialized website person told me they've ended production. What's next? When's 2022? Will the bikes have the same awesome color?
Old 10-01-21, 09:25 PM
bmwpowere36m3

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Those x 4.0 and 5.0 riders, FYI, the future shock as delivered may not have a spring pre-installed. Mine came without from the LBS and I had to ask for any parts/manuals prior to leaving.

Threw up a poll on ******:

I put in the medium spring and it made a difference on todays ride. You'd think adding a spring would make it stiffer, but it actually increased front-end compliance. The FS uses a # of springs internally (booster/tuning spring, progressive main and top-out), from what I've seen in a Specialized Deep Dive video. Usually springs in series reduce spring rate, but without knowing the specifics of the FS... it just guessing. Alternatively, the booster spring is keeping the FS up higher in its travel where the progressive main spring is softer.

Last edited by bmwpowere36m3; 10-01-21 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-04-21, 02:43 PM
dougpgreen

Those x 4.0 and 5.0 riders, FYI, the future shock as delivered may not have a spring pre-installed. Mine came without from the LBS and I had to ask for any parts/manuals prior to leaving.

Threw up a poll on ******:

I put in the medium spring and it made a difference on todays ride. You'd think adding a spring would make it stiffer, but it actually increased front-end compliance. The FS uses a # of springs internally (booster/tuning spring, progressive main and top-out), from what I've seen in a Specialized Deep Dive video. Usually springs in series reduce spring rate, but without knowing the specifics of the FS... it just guessing. Alternatively, the booster spring is keeping the FS up higher in its travel where the progressive main spring is softer.
From what I understrand, the default mode is now no spring installed. My guess is that this is fine for most road riders. I spend most of my time on gravel and dirt and installed the light spring first, then the medium.
Old 10-04-21, 02:45 PM
dougpgreen

Your LBS sucks, by the way.
Old 10-04-21, 10:33 PM
bmwpowere36m3

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Your LBS sucks, by the way.
I’ll use the term “my” loosely… just happened to have the bike in stock. I get most stuff online.
Old 10-05-21, 04:16 PM
dougpgreen

I’ll use the term “my” loosely… just happened to have the bike in stock. I get most stuff online.
They are not giving you much reason to buy in person. I suppose that in the current environment if one person doesn't buy another will come along in an hour or two.
Old 10-11-21, 05:00 AM
dougpgreen

Sirrus 5.0 Rear Rack

Anyone installed a rear rack on a Sirrus X 5.0? If so, what has been your experience? Did you use the dropout and fender mounts, or attach to the seatpost? Looking at options.
Old 10-11-21, 01:33 PM
RH64

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a question for someone smarter than me! I recently contacted Specialized about 650B wheels on the Sirrus x 5.0 and they suggested not to because of the risk of pedal strikes.

Can someone tell me the difference in bottom bracket height on a 700c w/ 38mm tires vs a 650b with 47mm tires?

Thanks,
Robert

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.