Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hit and run kills cyclist

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Hit and run kills cyclist

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 08:18 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by mcours2006
Victim did appear to have an older style 10-speed road bike, so perhaps not the most ideal tires for riding on gravel.
Oh for <diety's> sake. He was riding an 1980s Nishiki with 27x1 1/4 tires.

-mr. bill
Old 04-28-19, 11:46 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I don't ride on roads, as i deem it too dangerous to do so. And i don't have to, as my town was built from scratch with a separate pedestrian/cycleway system. It is no accident that i live here.

But i still wouldn't call it victim-blaming. I only victim-blame when the victim was a clear subject of Darwinism. Here however, is a common incident which just highlights how use of the motorcar has completely taken over our world.

Everyone has the right to use the roads. As a pedestrian, on a horse or horse-drawn cart, on a skate board, bicycle, steam engine.. it doesn't matter how you choose to get around, you should be able to travel on a road. That we can't do so safely, almost entirely due to the modern automobile and many of their mentally deranged ''i pay road tax'' drivers, is a sad state of modern times.
Old 04-29-19, 07:38 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
So long as the Car has headlights, there is no excuse to hit anything in front of the car.

At least, not on a straight, flat road.
........a lot to ask from a number of motorists, especially the ones that will over drive their headlights or road conditions. I like to throw a considerable amount of lighting and reflectivity into the mix, both static and dynamic for added insurance purposes.
Old 04-29-19, 07:59 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
So long as the Car has headlights, there is no excuse to hit anything in front of the car.

Originally Posted by dynodonn
........a lot to ask from a number of motorists, especially the ones that will over drive their headlights or road conditions. I like to throw a considerable amount of lighting and reflectivity into the mix, both static and dynamic for added insurance purposes.
Ummmm .... Not over-driving their own headlights on a flat, straight road is too much to ask from a driver? I would say, it would be the minimum.

Yes, I run a taillight (at least one) visible from half a mile away. And at least twice, due to rain or battery drain, the light has failed while I was riding and I didn't know it. So .... that makes me fair game?

If a driver cannot see something in the road ahead, said driver is not fit to drive. End of that story.

Actually, there is more ... I am gong to assume that you meant, Not that we should not hold drivers to a minimum driving standard, but that we should not depend upon them to always uphold it. I agree we are each responsible for our own safety on the road ... I was addressing specifically comments about dim, low-quality tail lights.

Even if a bike has No rear reflective surfaces, there is never an excuse for a driver not to see it. Cars' headlights show what's there---if the driver bothers to look.

Last edited by Maelochs; 04-29-19 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 08:13 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Ummmm .... Not over-driving their own headlights on a flat, straight road is too much to ask from a driver? I would say, it would be the minimum.

Yes, I run a taillight (at least one) visible from half a mile away. And at least twice, due to rain or battery drain, the light has failed while I was riding and I didn't know it. So .... that makes me fair game?

If a driver cannot see something in the road ahead, said driver is not fit to drive. End of that story.
From personal experience, motorist do and will over drive their headlights, plus thanks to a bright tail light and mirror, I usually spot rather quickly when my tail light has failed. In instances when I'm unable to regain a tail light, I have considerable amount of SOLAS reflective material on the static and dynamics parts of myself and my bike for backup. These efforts help make me more visible and noticeable to a motorist at a further distance in case of tail light failure,
Old 04-29-19, 05:44 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,017 Times in 571 Posts
At 55 mph, seeing an unlit object on a dark road is tough. One can quibble about exact distances, but stopping distance and headlight range are at best pretty close at 55 mph. No margin at all for error. "Over driving" headlights is a routine factor on rural roads. There was a guy around here who used to ride his bike without lights down to the convenience store on the main highway and I'm not sure I'd have seen him at times were if not for the reflectors on his pedals.
Old 04-29-19, 07:38 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
At 55 mph, seeing an unlit object on a dark road is tough. One can quibble about exact distances, but stopping distance and headlight range are at best pretty close at 55 mph. No margin at all for error. "Over driving" headlights is a routine factor on rural roads.
On any road, from my observation; and more fatalities occur at a lot lower speed than that.
There was a guy around here who used to ride his bike without lights down to the convenience store on the main highway and I'm not sure I'd have seen him at times were if not for the reflectors on his pedals.
One of the reason they're required: the constant motion. But its not hard to overdrive a cyclist with only his reflector since its significant more difficult to track his speed and determine distance. You'd have to continuously focus on him, which would distract you from other potential driving hazards.
Old 04-29-19, 08:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by KraneXL
But its not hard to overdrive a cyclist with only his reflector since its significant more difficult to track his speed and determine distance. You'd have to continuously focus on him, which would distract you from other potential driving hazards.
Yeah ... the driver would have to ... like ... Slow Down when he realized there was some other human being on the edge of the road. Or ... just keep driving at undiminished speed and eithe r ginre him and hit him, or focus on his and drive off the road. yeah .... no reason to slow down, and the reflectors just make it more dangerous for the car. The cyclist should just accept getting hit.

Really?

I don't find either cycling or driving to be all that difficult.

I use lights at night .... but hey, at night cameras wouldn't work, eh?
Old 04-29-19, 08:59 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Yeah ... the driver would have to ... like ... Slow Down when he realized there was some other human being on the edge of the road. Or ... just keep driving at undiminished speed and eithe r ginre him and hit him, or focus on his and drive off the road. yeah .... no reason to slow down, and the reflectors just make it more dangerous for the car. The cyclist should just accept getting hit.

Really?
You're preaching to the choir bub. I've been hit while riding my bike 3 times by distracted drivers (cell phones I suspect). Twice at night and each claimed they "didn't see" me. I'm simply being realistic, not offering an excuse for them.

I don't find either cycling or driving to be all that difficult.

I use lights at night .... but hey, at night cameras wouldn't work, eh?
I used to be a night rider and commute to work at night. I road all 7 days...nights. I know the realities and dangers of cycling at night.
Old 04-29-19, 09:48 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by KraneXL
You're preaching to the choir bub. I've been hit while riding my bike 3 times by distracted drivers (cell phones I suspect). Twice at night and each claimed they "didn't see" me. I'm simply being realistic, not offering an excuse for them.I used to be a night rider and commute to work at night. I road all 7 days...nights. I know the realities and dangers of cycling at night.
Yeah, in this one instance we are in agreement.
Old 04-30-19, 05:34 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Lots of data on pedestrian survival rate at different speeds: >90% at 20 mph, ~55% at 30 mph, and <20% at 40 mph.

If the vehicle in OP was travelling at the limit of 50 mph and cyclist was at, say 15 mph, that gives a relative impact speed of 35 mph. So, he didn't stand much of a chance. But I'm probably underestimating the vehicle speed and overestimating the cyclist's.
Old 04-30-19, 08:23 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Happened recently over the Easter weekend not too far from me:

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/suspect-i...lice-1.4388874

Here's the stretch of highway where it happened:
https://www.google.com/maps/@44.0031...7i16384!8i8192

Posted speed limit here is 80 km/h, but traffic routinely moves at close to 100 km/h. Cyclist was found at around 10 pm, so it appears that the incident took place after sun down.

Sad story, really. A road like this with virtually no shoulder, high speed limit, partial darkness is no place to ride your bike. Don't accuse me of victim blaming. I've just learned over the years that there are some roads that you should never ride on. Condolences to his family.
Agreed, that doesn't look like a safe place to ride. Sucks.
Old 05-01-19, 04:29 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts

On any road in my opinion. Never outdrive your line of sight. I am a motorcyclist. It's easy to look at that 25 MPH swarning sign on a sharp curve and see doubling that number as a challenge. You have to ask yourself what if? A downed tree, stopped postal carrier, accident, blind driveway entrance etc. lies around the corner.
Old 05-01-19, 07:27 AM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
On any road in my opinion. Never outdrive your line of sight. I am a motorcyclist. It's easy to look at that 25 MPH swarning sign on a sharp curve and see doubling that number as a challenge. You have to ask yourself what if? A downed tree, stopped postal carrier, accident, blind driveway entrance etc. lies around the corner.
Add to that water on the pavement, left by somebody's mis-aimed lawn sprinkler or even just a slight depression holding a little leftover rain. I hit a slick patch crossing some train tracks on my little Honda a couple decade back, and was highly impressed both that I had the reflexes to control the tank-slapper and also to not stain my clothing while it was happening. Shortly after I was trying the same stunt in my 40-wheeled Honda, hit a puddle on a blind, off-camber, downhill corner and did a 360 right in front of another car. Luckily I had the time and presence of mind to jam it in gear and blast out of the way ... but that really woke me up because I was half a second from hitting the other car.
Old 05-01-19, 08:05 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts

Posted speed limit here is 80 km/h, but traffic routinely moves at close to 100 km/h. Cyclist was found at around 10 pm, so it appears that the incident took place after sun down.

Sad story, really. A road like this with virtually no shoulder, high speed limit, partial darkness is no place to ride your bike. Don't accuse me of victim blaming. I've just learned over the years that there are some roads that you should never ride on. Condolences to his family.
I finally took a little time to piddle around on Google maps at that location. The satellite view shows a good bit of traffic on that road, but very little on a nearby parallel paved street.
Old 05-02-19, 07:11 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
On any road in my opinion. Never outdrive your line of sight. I am a motorcyclist. It's easy to look at that 25 MPH swarning sign on a sharp curve and see doubling that number as a challenge.

You have to ask yourself what if? A downed tree, stopped postal carrier, accident, blind driveway entrance etc. lies around the corner.
As a bicyclist, I have posted my warning about approaching sharp curves:"Head-on collision between group cyclists and car (video)"
Originally Posted by FBinNY
In all fairness, I don't think there's anyone who's been riding for a long time, who hasn't at some time (or many times) ridden in that zone where the only thing separating us from disaster is favorable alignment of the stars. (Note the "us" rather than "him")

We all take chances and make mistakes, but fortunately life is"organized" with plenty of forgiveness. In my experience the difference between disaster and "whew, that was close" is millimeters and microseconds, and not anything we can take credit for.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I try to keep safe with certain aphorisms in my head that come to mind to alert me when I encounter a situation where unseen dangers may lurk, such as Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side.” or“Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surface.”

After seeing this video, I’m addingWhen approaching a curve with no forward sight lines, hug the curb…’tight to the right’ .“
Originally Posted by phoebeisis
Tight to the Right
not bad-sorta rhymes

Of course the motorist is at fault-
but the riders would be "dead right"-great for their heirs-not so good for them
Cars routinely cut curves and corners-
it should never be a surprise for an adult-riding or driving

Probably not so good for heirs-5 dead riders-$ 50,000 policy -dead young person worth $2,000,000 or so

Like Jim said
Tight to the Right- love that-I will steal it-forever
BTW, when coming out of a sharp curve behind you, I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones. I got the idea from a cycling companion who used only a right hand mirror.

The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful [including]:

• On a curved road to the right
My main argument for a mirror, particularly in the urban environment is summarized by Jim’s Law of the Road: “No matter how well paved or lightly-traveled the Road, a vehicle is likely to pass you on the left as you encounter an obstacle on the right.”

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-02-19 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-07-19, 03:37 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Ditto!!!