Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Anyone riding their Gravel Bikes in Salida, Colorado?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-19, 08:58 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts

We are looking at purchasing a place in Salida, Colorado. Appears to be a lot of single track paths in the area. Curious to see if some of those trails can be ridden with a gravel bike. Would love to get My Trek Checkpoint out on some doable single track trails.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-19-19, 11:09 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6935 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by CodyDog
We are looking at purchasing a place in Salida, Colorado. Appears to be a lot of single track paths in the area. Curious to see if some of those trails can be ridden with a gravel bike. Would love to get My Trek Checkpoint out on some doable single track trails.

Thanks,

Mike
I can't answer your question...But this does seem like a great reason to buy a MTB.
Old 07-19-19, 07:03 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by CodyDog

Thanks,

Mike
Might need to get a 650x2.1 kinda gravel bike. or just do an N+1 x2 .... new gravel bike, & a MTB also as mentioned above.
Old 07-20-19, 07:18 PM
CodyDog

Originally Posted by Koyote
I can't answer your question...But this does seem like a great reason to buy a MTB.
I like your way of thinking. I do need a MTB.
Old 07-20-19, 10:09 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
My local TX gravel ride organizer, Spinistry, is making a trip just up the road from there in Alma to host a 100 mile gravel ride; so there must be some decent gravel biking around there somewhere.
Old 07-21-19, 02:38 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 858 Times in 487 Posts
Salida and further up by Monarch Pass are really better suited fot mountain biking.

I'm sure you could ride mist of the trails on and around the hill with a gravel bike. I can with 38mm tires. For more legit gravel, there is a road just north of town, heads southwest. I don't know how far it goes but the first 5 miles are great.

Over near Canon City, you can ride either Shelf Road, Phantom Canyon, or Oak Creek Grade. It will also put you on a paved set of switchbacks that climb 3000 ft in 13 miles. Up greenhorn hwy, you can head into the gravel and I'm pretty sure you can summit greenhorn mountain itself or head down into Westcliffe from there.

I assume you like rafting? You'll probably forget you have a bike.

I'd have to look at a map but i think you're relatively close to the northern access point to the San Luis valley. Lots of long flat gravel there, I'm not sure that would be fun or not.
Old 07-21-19, 06:21 PM
Cyclist03516
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts
There are great Forest Service Fire Roads all over the place. Some are suitable for gravel bikes, some MTB, some you wouldn't take with a mule. Speaking as a native we all have multiple bikes for just that reason. Wait til you get here then decide. But if you want it you can find it!

Your black lab and Subaru will be available on Thursday.
Old 07-22-19, 07:54 PM
CodyDog

Originally Posted by jeffreythree
My local TX gravel ride organizer, Spinistry, is making a trip just up the road from there in Alma to host a 100 mile gravel ride; so there must be some decent gravel biking around there somewhere.
Jeffery: Thanks for the response and info.
Old 07-22-19, 07:59 PM
CodyDog

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Salida and further up by Monarch Pass are really better suited fot mountain biking.

I'm sure you could ride mist of the trails on and around the hill with a gravel bike. I can with 38mm tires. For more legit gravel, there is a road just north of town, heads southwest. I don't know how far it goes but the first 5 miles are great.

Over near Canon City, you can ride either Shelf Road, Phantom Canyon, or Oak Creek Grade. It will also put you on a paved set of switchbacks that climb 3000 ft in 13 miles. Up greenhorn hwy, you can head into the gravel and I'm pretty sure you can summit greenhorn mountain itself or head down into Westcliffe from there.

I assume you like rafting? You'll probably forget you have a bike.

I'd have to look at a map but i think you're relatively close to the northern access point to the San Luis valley. Lots of long flat gravel there, I'm not sure that would be fun or not.
Great info, Thanks! As far as rafting, I think there's a kayak in the near future.
Old 07-22-19, 08:18 PM
CodyDog

Originally Posted by ev780
There are great Forest Service Fire Roads all over the place. Some are suitable for gravel bikes, some MTB, some you wouldn't take with a mule. Speaking as a native we all have multiple bikes for just that reason. Wait til you get here then decide. But if you want it you can find it!

Your black lab and Subaru will be available on Thursday.
ev780: Thanks for the response. I can see where there will be a need for multiple bikes.