Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The price of C&V membership

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The price of C&V membership

Old 07-16-20, 04:31 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
non-fixie love the thread and the bike. Just wanted to add some info for reference.

I have the same color and same size MK II with Stronglight 93, jubilee rear mech (original owner replaced front) challenger or jubilee front mech would have been from factory, and forged rear dropouts with hanger. I have also read some came with nervar star crank. The forged dropouts apparently was a 25.5" only thing (from what I have researched, so take with a grain of salt).

Keep us posted with the progress. If you repaint are you going factory color scheme?
Thank you for the additional info. Much appreciated!

I won't be repainting it in the original color scheme. One reason being that a truly correct reproduction is beyond my capabilities, the other that - to be honest - I don't really like these graphics. Also, a darker color sets off the chrome and aluminum much better.

Old 07-16-20, 05:37 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Are you going to keep the white headtube and seat tub at least, a Raleigh standard!
Old 07-16-20, 06:10 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Had a good think and decided to take the easy route, with the littlest chance of breaking important stuff or twisting the fork blades all out of alignment.
Never assume a 1970's Raleigh fork (or frame) are aligned.
Likes For branko_76:
Old 07-16-20, 06:43 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by branko_76
Never assume a 1970's Raleigh fork (or frame) are aligned.
...and never assume, once you have it aligned, that everything will line up

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 07-17-20, 07:15 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

While the steerer is happily bubbling away in its lye bath ....

... I am getting ready for the next challenge. What do do with this dropout adjuster screw?

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 07-17-20, 07:24 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
The bike that keeps on giving.

Cut it flush, easy out, or drill out, or other. Unfortunately the very small m3 screw and threads are prone to damage when drilling. I dont have any recommendations as to how to get it out. Can you cut the plastic crescent moon piece away and grab the screw from the inside of the dropout?
Likes For Narhay:
Old 07-17-20, 08:52 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Doh!

While I was looking at the dropout adjuster it began to dawn on me that the dropout can't be threaded, or the adjuster wouldn't work. And indeed, the screw almost fell out by itself.

What remains of this challenge is finding a couple of replacement screws.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 07-17-20, 09:57 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Turns out I have a couple of adjuster screws that fit. Slightly shorter than the original (left), but close enough, I think.

Old 07-17-20, 12:16 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

I ended up using cheap gin, instead of the aforementioned Mojitos, but it worked equally well.

How clean is that steerer?

Old 08-31-20, 05:33 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Any update on this build? Was really enjoying how this one was coming together - or rather, apart

-Kurt

Old 09-01-20, 09:57 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by cudak888
Any update on this build? Was really enjoying how this one was coming together - or rather, apart

-Kurt
Well ....

Since my previous post I cleaned the frame, re-painted it, wasn't at all happy with the result, de-painted it. So, a lot of work? Yes. Any progress? No.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 09-01-20, 06:44 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Since my previous post I cleaned the frame, re-painted it, wasn't at all happy with the result, de-painted it. So, a lot of work? Yes. Any progress? No.
Hey, at least it couldn't get any worse than it was.

Any ideas for the new repaint?

-Kurt

Old 09-01-20, 08:53 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
Well ....

Not happy with the color, or not happy with the quality?

(I *HATE* spray painting)
Old 09-01-20, 09:54 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Price of c&v membership
I paid my monthly dues today: $200 for a dusty Japanese bicycle made some 35 years ago that's maybe two sizes too small. The 4 hours of roundtrip city transit -- not riding my bike -- is the worst part of it. But it's all downhill from here, starting with full disassembly.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-03-20, 12:54 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by cudak888
Hey, at least it couldn't get any worse than it was.

Any ideas for the new repaint?

-Kurt
Originally Posted by RandolphCarter
Not happy with the color, or not happy with the quality?

(I *HATE* spray painting)
What I did was paint it black, with a brush. I have used a brush before, and liked the results. It had that "hand-painted, smooth but slightly less than perfect" finish that jibes nicely with a vintage bike.

However, in this case the results looked less than pleasing.

It looked like crap, to be exact.

Whether it was a matter of below-par preparation, my brushing technique or the fact that gloss black paint shows imperfections more than any other color, I don't know.

But it looked like crap.

For now, Plan B is to sand the frame again, with an even finer grit, and use a spray paint. I have got the idea that this frame needs to be black, with chrome socks and gold lug lining, firmly planted into my head.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 09-03-20, 06:59 PM
RandolphCarter
PeopleCode delaminator

Bikes: 1986 Trek 310 Elance, 1997 Schwinn HydraGlide, 1987 Trek Antelope 800, 2003 Haro F4, 198? Allsop Offroad Climber

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
What I did was paint it black, with a brush. I have used a brush before, and liked the results. It had that "hand-painted, smooth but slightly less than perfect" finish that jibes nicely with a vintage bike.

However, in this case the results looked less than pleasing.

It looked like crap, to be exact.

Whether it was a matter of below-par preparation, my brushing technique or the fact that gloss black paint shows imperfections more than any other color, I don't know.

But it looked like crap.

For now, Plan B is to sand the frame again, with an even finer grit, and use a spray paint. I have got the idea that this frame needs to be black, with chrome socks and gold lug lining, firmly planted into my head.
Rustoleum appliance enamel in glossy black is exactly what you need then. Of the various spray paints I've used, that was the one that I got the best results from. Easier to work with and also very durable, especially if you give it a few layers of clear coat.
Old 01-30-21, 10:58 AM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Senrab62
non-fixie love the thread and the bike. Just wanted to add some info for reference.

I have the same color and same size MK II with Stronglight 93, jubilee rear mech (original owner replaced front) challenger or jubilee front mech would have been from factory, and forged rear dropouts with hanger. I have also read some came with nervar star crank. The forged dropouts apparently was a 25.5" only thing (from what I have researched, so take with a grain of salt).

Keep us posted with the progress. If you repaint are you going factory color scheme?
Just brought home another 25.5" Mark II with Huret dropouts, Jubilee derailleurs and a Stronglight 93 crankset.

Shift levers and BB cable guide are Huret, which might suggest they are original rather than an upgrade. Luxe Competition hubs, Atom 700 pedals.
Unfortunately, the FD clamp is broken, which explains why it is so close to the chainwheel..

non-fixie I think black and gold Raleighs look great. Here is a Gran Tour I need to clean up:

Likes For Schreck83:
Old 01-30-21, 11:47 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by Schreck83
Just brought home another 25.5" Mark II with Huret dropouts, Jubilee derailleurs and a Stronglight 93 crankset.

Shift levers and BB cable guide are Huret, which might suggest they are original rather than an upgrade. Luxe Competition hubs, Atom 700 pedals.
Unfortunately, the FD clamp is broken, which explains why it is so close to the chainwheel..

non-fixie I think black and gold Raleighs look great. Here is a Gran Tour I need to clean up:

Nice find! Pity about the FD clamp.

My SC is currently hibernating, as am I. Come spring work will resume.

Old 01-30-21, 12:53 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 195 Posts
Wow! Your Mk II came with all the upgrades. Seems to me that the Stronglight 93 could be converted to a triple just by adding a chainring in place of that guard, not that the Jubilee in the rear would be happy about wrapping more chain. Too bad about the broken clamp on the front mech, but those FDs really are too delicate - you can see clearly in the photo how little metal there actually is where they break.
Old 01-30-21, 01:47 PM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 159 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
Wow! Your Mk II came with all the upgrades. Seems to me that the Stronglight 93 could be converted to a triple just by adding a chainring in place of that guard, not that the Jubilee in the rear would be happy about wrapping more chain. Too bad about the broken clamp on the front mech, but those FDs really are too delicate - you can see clearly in the photo how little metal there actually is where they break.
Yes, that's why you see so many with the Jubilee rear and something else up front.
Not sure if they are upgrades so much as specification creep or using what was on hand. The Super Tourer had Jubilee mechs, Luxe Competition hubs and Stronglight 93 cranks, along with the Gran Sport. Both of these models probably sold in lower numbers than the SuperCourse, so parts could be raided as needed.

Old 01-30-21, 02:07 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 195 Posts
I didn't mean to suggest that the "upgrades" occurred later in the life of the bike. I saw all of those items on new Super Course MkIIs when I worked at a Raleigh dealer in the '70s, but never all on the same bike. My personal suspicion is that neither Huret or Nervar could keep up with their commitments to Raleigh during the boom years and were sometimes forced to substitute up-market (lower demand) items of which they had inventory.
Likes For daka:
Old 03-02-22, 06:37 AM
swampyankee2 

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 95 Posts
There is the price, as in the quite reasonable yearly fee one pays for the stylish yellow jersey next to one's screen name, and there is the real price, as in the consequences of one's regular visits to this forum and becoming assimilated into the C&V Collective.

This is about the latter, of course.

Until today I had never seen a Raleigh Super Course in real life. I don't believe they were ever sold here. Yet, ever since I joined this forum I felt that not having one meant I had a void in my life. I mean, this thread spans 89 pages, and after ten years I am still not in it!

So, when this dilapidated 1976 Mk II turned up in the local classifieds in my size, I could not resist.

Lots of clues point to it being a personal import from the US: the reflectors, the spoke protector, the Pletscher rack:

The Avocet Touring saddle:

The real give-away are of course the schrader valves:

Apparently the bike has been left outside for quite some time. The chrome on the frame looks like it might clean up reasonably well, and there is still some life in the Huret Jubilee déreailleur:

Other parts look to be beyond salvation:

I need to think about what to do with it: keep it original (which it seems to be), restore it, or restomod it. Whatever the outcome, another lock-down might actually come in handy, as this will be a time-consuming project.
That looks to be in the same shape as my Raleigh Sports resto project is, except mine was entombed in a dank cellar for 30+ years. There is an early Super Course (cottered crank, line-thru "Super Course" script) for sale locally for a price commensurate to its condition. Would've loved to have it but I was looking for a cheap project so I picked up a much cheaper Dawes Galaxy instead. I haven't done much with the Galaxy yet, but as I get into it, I'm sure the project will pay my membership dues...

Last edited by swampyankee2; 03-02-22 at 07:15 AM.
Old 03-02-22, 12:11 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Originally Posted by swampyankee2
That looks to be in the same shape as my Raleigh Sports resto project is, except mine was entombed in a dank cellar for 30+ years. There is an early Super Course (cottered crank, line-thru "Super Course" script) for sale locally for a price commensurate to its condition. Would've loved to have it but I was looking for a cheap project so I picked up a much cheaper Dawes Galaxy instead. I haven't done much with the Galaxy yet, but as I get into it, I'm sure the project will pay my membership dues...
This one wasn't particularly cheap, but as these Super Courses were never sold here in Holland finding one - and in my size to boot - was a pleasant surprise. As you can see it has Schrader valves, indicating a personal import from the US.

Old 03-02-22, 06:46 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
Price of C&V membership?

As seen above,
It always involves refurbishment/maintenance.
Sometimes a bit of frustration.
I'm behind on my dues and need to wrap up many projects.
By-and-large all the stuff is in-house.
Except the human effort.
Old 03-03-22, 02:24 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3783 Post(s)
Liked 3,287 Times in 2,147 Posts
-----

​​​​​​
​​​​​​

---

this submodel of Verot's 93 with the chainguard has two unique features

because the guard seats where the outer chainwheel is normally mounted it is necessary to employ three-plateau chainwheel bolts for the two-plateau chainset

because the inner chainwheel is mounted inboard of its normal seat a bottom bracket spindle intended for a three-plateau chainset must be employed to yield a good chainline with adequate clearance (model 125)

---

whilst all others who have chosen to abide within the very limited confines of the known universe have selected a thread of 3.0mm X .5 for this application the folk at Freres Huret, in their infinite wisdom, decided upon a thread of 3.0mm X .6 for this

---

wrt variations in kitting on the Super Course Mk.II -

enjoyed seeing them for their several upgrade combinations at me local Sir Wally dealerships back when they were current

some were kitted as shown in the catalogue

some received an upgrade from the Challenger to the Jubile gear ensemble

some received an upgrade from the NERVAR Sport chainset to the NERVAR Star

and some received both upgrades

---

occurs to me that we are now at about one hundred posts for this thread

wondering if this may make it the longest Super Course thread on the forum - and it doesn't even have "Super Course" in the header!

-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-03-22 at 03:35 PM. Reason: addition

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.