Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Dahon fork replacement - headset assembly help

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-21, 06:59 PM
mellavellum

Bikes: Dahon Speed 9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, I have a Dahon Speed 9 (first folder, bought last year based on advice here) and am in the process of replacing the fork (got hit by a car).
I neglected to take photos as I was removing the damaged fork (instant regret!) and despite rigorous research on google, youtube, dahon manuals and old forum threads, still have an odd part that won't fit properly. Thanks in advance for reading.

Does anyone have experience with quirky Dahon parts? It's a Fusion 2 integrated headset that seems to be standard on newer Dahon bikes.

The headtube has an internal cup & sealed bearing on both the top and bottom. When I removed the fork I was left with an upper cover, spacer/compression ring, base spacer (sits on crown race seat), and a removable **headset bearing & cup** (I think that's what it's called?). When reassembling, I cannot figure out where this removable headset-bearing/cup piece goes without creating a strange gap (based on old photos of my bike and dealer photos, no gap should exist on either end of the fork). I thought it should sit in the top of the headtube... weird thing is the fork seems to turn ok if assembled without it, but it seems like an important piece. Any ideas?

parts album here -- imgur.com/a/hTtob3J

Notes--
- I tried reassembling the old fork & headset to see if it jogged my memory, nope, same problem. Removal of the damaged fork was simple and did not require any special tools, no force involved.
- new fork was purchased from dahon dealer, including new headset just in case of compatibility issue

Last edited by mellavellum; 07-05-21 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-15-21, 12:00 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Did you ever get this sorted out? I would have to take mine apart to be able to answer your question about it. I'll do that if you still need the confirmation.
Old 07-15-21, 11:57 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 90 Posts
I'm not sure if I understand your description and photos correctly, but it sounded like you said that you have 3 sets of cups, compression rings (cones, crowns), and bearings, plus a cap. You should have only 2 sets.

It looks like this third party headset.

I don't understand the gap that you're having. If you're using original parts for the headset that came with the bike, then I don't know why you would get a bigger gap, if the crown is flush when the new fork tube or whatever the name is.

Does it function?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001070354277.html