Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Front derailleur on a trike - anyone remove theirs?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 10-06-22, 02:53 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts

A few days ago I was crawling the net for ideas about modifying my ICE Sprint. Specifically I am considering installing a TSDZ2 mid-drive motor. Typically this setup uses only one chainring, but I read an account of a person who opted for a double chainring setup. The intent was to have a granny gear that would not be used often but available just in case. The poster of this account removed the front derailleur and shifts by grabbing the chain tube and moving it laterally into the preferred ring. The shift cable routing does interfere with the motor mounting so abandoning the FD does make sense.

So has anyone done this? I tried moving the chaintube while riding my trike and I think it would work (I still have my FD installed which inhibits my experiment). The downside of this strategy is limit control. Unshipping a chain seems to be a real probability. OTOH if the granny ring is rarely used is chain drop a big deal. Also, is it possible to have reliable shifting success with 2 narrow-wide chainrings.

Interesting idea but I'm skeptical.
Old 10-07-22, 09:44 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I used to shift like that on a 2 wheeler I had. Lift with the heel of my shoe to go up. I waxed the chain though so no mess. Can also do it with a right angle hex key and keep clean.
Likes For linberl: