Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

mystery frame worth saving?

Old 11-08-22, 03:46 PM
NDL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 13 Posts
mystery frame worth saving?

I went to pick up some Dura ace parts for my steel track bike yesterday and found this frame from this guy's shed. It was very light when I pick it up and the lugs are quite nice, I was hopping to ID this frame see if it's worth saving.
The rear drop out spacing is 120mm, there are some letters on one of the rear drop out but it's hardly visible, I've put it on a piece of paper and attached below. It came with some broken bits from the shimano 600 arabesque groupset probably from the late 70s or early 80s. No serial number under BB or seattube, I can get more measurement later like bb width etc..

Old 11-08-22, 06:37 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,128 Posts
Dropout made by Gipiemme. Available to any frame builder but used predominately by Italian companies.
Brent
Old 11-08-22, 08:54 PM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1072 Post(s)
Liked 1,780 Times in 650 Posts
we really wanted to see the bottom of the bottom
Old 11-08-22, 09:04 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 629 Posts
Nice frame likely worth saving if it's strait the seat post clamp does look a bit out of round in the pics which can likely be corrected.. As said it does look to have mostly Gipiemme frame bits nicely done so likely and no shifter or bottle braze on's with over the BB cable guides would indicate late 700's which would match with the early 600 bits. It does look a lot like some late 70's Mexican Benntto's or Windsor Ace-Mex stuff I have seen.
Old 11-09-22, 07:20 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Definitely worth saving in my opinion. As far as what it is, I'd lean towards Italian, possibly a small builder. How it ended up where it did, looking like it does is the real mystery to me!
Old 11-21-22, 07:25 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

see no combination of clues to suggest an origin in France, Italy, or any anglophone land

suspect a low countries origin

one simple check which has yet to be made is to determine steerer and bottom bracket thread as well as tubing diameters

do not be surprised to discover frame constructed of Ishiwata 022

look forward to reading the observations of our low countries experts:

Munny non-fixie JaccoW LucasHartong

-----
Old 11-22-22, 07:57 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Is it a GIPIEMME frameset? That's what the writing in the image looks like to me.

Cheers
Old 11-22-22, 08:06 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Is it a GIPIEMME frameset? That's what the writing in the image looks like to me.

Cheers
-----

GIPIEMME is a brand name for fittings, not cycles.

In this case they are the manufacturer of the frame's ends set.

​​​​​​Gipiemme / GPM

-----
Old 11-22-22, 03:50 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,571 Times in 1,758 Posts
That is a nice-looking frame. Certainly worth saving in my book. The way the top eyes are finished makes me think it's better than average. What seat post size does it take?

Agree with @juvela that it could well be Belgian. This style was certainly popular around 1980 with Belgian manufacturers.

I'd be tempted to get out my credit card. And use it to carefully scrape off some of that paint and see what clues it might be hiding.

Old 11-23-22, 03:28 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 628 Posts
IMO, the question is not whether it is worth saving, its whether it is worth saving by you? Do you have the time/tools/aptitude/work space/pile of parts? If so, by all means go for it! If not, buying parts one at a time, or paying a shop to do the work, can make this project uneconomical cost wise.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 11-23-22 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-24-22, 10:04 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
IMO, the question is not whether it is worth saving, its whether it is worth saving by you? Do you have the time/tools/aptitude/work space/pile of parts? If so, by all means go for it! If not, buying parts one at a time, or paying a shop to do the work, can make this project uneconomical cost wise.
+1 a frame up rebuild including cleaning off the rattle can paint and repainting by hand can be done with nice results. But if your not experienced and don't have a tone of parts and tools in your stock pile it can get very expensive and time consuming figure several hundred for a first time build maybe a bit more with paint work.