Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Old 05-01-20, 07:43 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Seriously, that's what we thought. The closest that we got to scenery was the short diversion past the Black Hawk Statue. I live within a couple miles of the Illinois River bluffs so I can get steep hills and scenery and do almost daily this time of year just to stay off the windswept prairie.
I'm routinely amazed by the (lack of) elevation on some of your rides. My corner of MN is pretty flat, but I get the impression that you ride on a billiards table. edit: bampilot06, too.
Old 05-01-20, 07:54 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'm routinely amazed by the (lack of) elevation on some of your rides. My corner of MN is pretty flat, but I get the impression that you ride on a billiards table. edit: bampilot06, too.
Second flattest state, next to Florida. I have a lot of steep (12-20%) but short hills along the Illinois River but within a mile of the bluffs, it becomes pretty flat. When the settlers headed west, they actually bypassed this part of the country because they couldn't break the prairie grass sod with wooden plows. Also, because a lot of parts of Illinois are so flat, it tended to be somewhat swampy in places. After the steel plow came into being, the grass was destroyed and the soil was drained.

Old 05-01-20, 08:02 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28433 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
If you like water, come on over to MN for a ride or three.
There's water here too. Drink responsibly.

DougRNS
Old 05-01-20, 08:05 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3330 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,228 Posts
Seriously, that's what we thought. The closest that we got to scenery was the short diversion past the Black Hawk Statue. I live within a couple miles of the Illinois River bluffs so I can get steep hills and scenery and do almost daily this time of year just to stay off the windswept prairie.
Old 05-01-20, 08:07 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Two or three.

And you could purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka. (You'll prolly have to google that, ya whippersnapper).
I've heard the reference before, but you're correct that I had to google it for context.
Old 05-01-20, 08:10 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

wut is a river road?
Old 05-01-20, 08:16 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
wut is a river road?
wut is a holiday road?
Old 05-01-20, 08:17 AM
WhyFi

wut is a holiday road?
Old 05-01-20, 08:24 AM
abshipp 

Second flattest state, next to Florida. I have a lot of steep (12-20%) but short hills along the Illinois River but within a mile of the bluffs, it becomes pretty flat. When the settlers headed west, they actually bypassed this part of the country because they couldn't break the prairie grass sod with wooden plows. Also, because a lot of parts of Illinois are so flat, it tended to be somewhat swampy in places. After the steel plow came into being, the grass was destroyed and the soil was drained.
Thanks, glaciers!

I think bampilot06 beats everyone on overall flatness.

I looked on Strava for my longest ride that didn't break 1000' of (reported) elevation, I got in 43.15 miles at 916'
Old 05-01-20, 08:25 AM
abshipp 

Originally Posted by Velo Vol
wut is a river road?
Here's one:

Old 05-01-20, 08:36 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Since the weather for Saturday is looking good, I am considering riding an imperial century.

That said, it may be biting off more than I can chew. Might aim for just a metric.
Old 05-01-20, 08:47 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Since the weather for Saturday is looking good, I am considering riding an imperial century.

That said, it may be biting off more than I can chew. Might aim for just a metric.
Aim for the imperial; settle for the metric, if need be.

I'm pretty sure I can ride an imperial without 1000' elevation gain
IF I can ride an imperial.
Old 05-01-20, 08:49 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10062 Post(s)
Liked 5,047 Times in 2,155 Posts

I gained like 150 feet last ride!
hashtag the earth is flat.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 05-01-20, 08:50 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10062 Post(s)
Liked 5,047 Times in 2,155 Posts
I lived nearby in Hershey awhile ago, we used to love to see the minor league baseball games at the ballpark there, and the city line park is quite nice for walking, but I imagine the current situation prevents you from doing much. Sad.

I will check this out and see if it’s open. The scenery is beautiful, one of my favorite airports to fly into, the runway is right next to the river.
Old 05-01-20, 08:52 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Aim for the imperial; settle for the metric, if need be.

I'm pretty sure I can ride an imperial without 1000' elevation gain
IF I can ride an imperial.
I could do that too.

Where I live, an imperial would have 7000-10000 feet of elevation. Lotsa hills.
Old 05-01-20, 08:55 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Good luck.

It wasn't that bad in the building I had to go to. My appointment was a little later than normal so their were fewer people in the lobby and elevators than usual. The office itself was pretty dead. It's one of those appointment tests, so I don't have to wait with the masses. The nurse who does it lives not too far away from me. I sometimes see her and her husband in Whole Foods. She rides to work and causally for exercise. And I got a free mask.
Old 05-01-20, 09:10 AM
abshipp 

I could do that too.

Where I live, an imperial would have 7000-10000 feet of elevation. Lotsa hills.
I can't even imagine.

Are they fairly gentle or steep and punchy?

To get any elevation around here you need to head northwest into the driftless region of Wisconsin/NW IL. Absolutely punishing to ride out there because all the hills are super steep and unrelenting. You have to bust your ass to get up a 8-12% grade, but then the backside is so short there's no time to recover before the next one.

There's a local 200K gravel ride called "Ten Thousand" which heads West towards the Mississippi, with, you guessed it, 10k of climbing. From what I hear the attrition rate is high.
Old 05-01-20, 09:18 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11891 Post(s)
Liked 6,486 Times in 3,415 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Someone has to do it, the current mods don't. I don't really give a rat's a$$ what is said in this thread as long as other people outside of this thread get to talk about, and trash other people and other threads like Mo and datlas are doing with the cramps thread. Billy D and his crew will not allow that to happen plain and simple. They protect their little flock and let them say whatever they want. Anyone that tries to respond, even if they do it within the Addition thread gets the boot. If you want me to quit monitoring this thread, then let everyone on the boards have equal say. Easy enough.
Well since you saw fit to complain in public instead of in a private communication I likewise see fit to respond to you in public.

It always amazes me how people who are usually butthurt about something always assume we mods are constantly monitoring every single thread on Bike Forums, and thereby should be in position to instantly detect and punish, to their satisfaction, any inappropriate behavior. Think about it . . . how many mods do you think we have, anyway, to be able to monitor every post in every thread in this entire forum in real time? Yeah, you never gave it any thought but yet you barge in here whining anyway.

So it should be no surprise to you that, speaking for myself, I had no knowledge there was another cramps discussion anywhere on the entirety of Bike Forums. Pardon me for having a private life of my own, and oh guess what, the other mods have private lives too wherein they might not be glued to the forums 24/7 looking for misbehavior. OMG, imagine that!!!

I’m still mystified that you were able to detect the extremely subtle reference to the cramps thread in the few posts on the topic in Addiction. Maybe you can explain to me some day how you just happened to be in position to notice that. Never mind, don’t bother explaining, I get tired of hearing excuses. Just seems strange that a guy who clearly despises a thread would spend his leisure time lurking through the thread, is all I’m saying. Inexplicable, really.

Next, no individual was mentioned here in reference to the cramps thread whatsoever, so your remark “and trash other people and other threads like Mo and datlas are doing with the cramps thread” is completely unfounded. Where did they do that, where did they mention a specific person or thread? Nowhere, that's where! Seypat just made that up to have something to gripe about.

As for this - “Why aren't you guys sharing this wisdom in the actual thread? “ - I can’t answer that for you, but I’m sure they would have answered you if you had approached them decently instead of with insults and guns blazing.

Other than that I won’t bother repeating the ground LAJ covered, but next time I would ask you to please reach out to the mod staff in private to avoid unnecessary disruption of the thread(s). Or file a complaint with Siu Blue Wind if you think BillyD is such a monster.

Also, as far as I’m concerned this response ends this public complaint . . . we are NOT having this public back-and-forth all day. You took your shot, I responded . . . anything further you have to say I must politely insist you use private messaging. Please do not further disrupt this or any other thread. Thanks!

Last edited by BillyD; 05-01-20 at 09:23 AM.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 05-01-20, 09:21 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Originally Posted by abshipp
I can't even imagine.

To get any elevation around here you need to head northwest into the driftless region of Wisconsin/NW IL. Absolutely punishing to ride out there because all the hills are super steep and unrelenting. You have to bust your ass to get up a 8-12% grade, but then the backside is so short there's no time to recover before the next one.

There's a local 200K gravel ride called "Ten Thousand" which heads West towards the Mississippi, with, you guessed it, 10k of climbing. From what I hear the attrition rate is high.
Mostly rolling and typically are in the 5% range. There are some climbs that are longer (up to say 1 mile) and/or nasty like 15%, but you have to seek them out.

If I do a typical 50 mile ride and don't seek hills, it's typically 3000 feet of climbing. But I seek out the hills so can easily be double that.

If you want to do a really flat route here, you are stuck with the trails which are unsafe in several ways these days.
Likes For datlas:
Old 05-01-20, 09:31 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

But I seek out the hills so can easily be double that.
Show off.
Old 05-01-20, 09:32 AM
WhyFi

I can't even imagine.

I was going to say that I really like the Driftless region but that I'd never ridden there... Then I looked it up and it technically begins about 5 miles away from me. Who knew?

Anyway, I consider it to be Driftless Lite once you get to Hastings, MN/Prescott, WI. One of the rides that I'd like to do this year would be to ride to Prescott, down the WI side and cross back over to MN at Red Wing. Starting from home, that'd prolly be a good 120 miles.

If I were to drive out for a ride, I'd be able to get further down the river, and it'd be a beautiful loop, but the crossings are few and far between, so I'd need to take a close look at it before committing.
Old 05-01-20, 09:38 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Two or three.

And you could purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka. (You'll prolly have to google that, ya whippersnapper).
The last of the ice should have melted off by now.
Old 05-01-20, 09:45 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Here's one:

This is the one I've ridden most. I should go hit the local one today, I think I can incorporate it into a 25 miler.

Old 05-01-20, 09:53 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,559 Times in 2,089 Posts
Mostly rolling and typically are in the 5% range. There are some climbs that are longer (up to say 1 mile) and/or nasty like 15%, but you have to seek them out.

If I do a typical 50 mile ride and don't seek hills, it's typically 3000 feet of climbing. But I seek out the hills so can easily be double that.

If you want to do a really flat route here, you are stuck with the trails which are unsafe in several ways these days.
When tandem touring in Europe, we would have a gps route given to us every morning by the tour coordinator with several options of distance and ascent. We’ve found that 1,000’ for every 10 miles was our limit, so a 60 mile day would have 6,000’ or so. In Croatia, we had a few days that we had no choice but to do more and it was brutal for us. The scenery was always worth it, though.

Old 05-01-20, 09:54 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

We don't have a River Road.

We do have a River Drive. Not much of a cycling destination, TBH.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.