Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Not much draft from a hawk

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Not much draft from a hawk

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 04:15 PM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Weather here in Rhode Island has become so warm, especially in coastal areas, Canadian Geese no longer bother migrating south. The East Bay Bike Path has nicely groomed grass. Especially by one particular pond, they like to spend time swimming or grazing on grass. They are so accustomed to people, even with a family of goslings they are so unafraid to not even look up when cyclists ride by within a few feet. I stop at this pond frequently for a bite to eat. Several years ago, a pair of geese would swim over so I would toss bits of my snack at them. One day, as they swam over, I walked down to the waters edge and they came right to me and I was able to hand feed them. It seems geese easily become domesticated.
The same is not true of Swans which have bad attitudes.
Old 07-01-20, 09:20 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Neat geese video. A few years ago a local old guy shotgunned a hawk to protect the squirrels in his yard. Esp crazy considering it was a dense suburban area & he lived a couple of blocks from the police station.
Old 07-02-20, 08:09 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Rode gravel last night and had a cotton tail rabbit burst out just infront of me, then proceeded to pace me a quarter mile at 10 feet infront of me. Awesome to watch the dry, powdery gravel burst up with every kick of his legs.
Old 07-02-20, 05:22 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Today a sparrow decided to front follow me. Granted not a hawk but pretty cool nonetheless.