Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

My first wipeout

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

My first wipeout

Old 02-22-21, 09:26 PM
ellburrito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My first wipeout

Had my first big wipeout last week going 30 around a slippery curve. No broken bones, and the road rash has nearly healed, but my hip feels off. Walking or otherwise using the muscle is fine and no road rash there, but it burns to the touch. Anyone experienced something similar?

- A sad side sleeper
Old 02-22-21, 09:46 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
Yes. You may well have damaged the bursa, basically a sack of lubricating fluid for you hip joint. (I've never taken a biology course so don't quote me here. I have however hit mine enough times that I've gotten to know them rather well.)

A trick if you sleep on your side - cut a 8" diameter 1" foam sheet. Cut a 2" diameter hole in the center. Place it under your hip, hole at the joint. Here in Oregon, Fred Meyer has those sheets fur a couple of bucks.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-23-21, 04:21 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
I recently had my first wipe out after 10 years (if you don’t count car hits that I’d argue caused those crashes). I found out that Ice looks nearly identical to salted/brined dry pavement through Oakley Prizm Road lenses.
Likes For Greatestalltime:
Old 02-23-21, 04:38 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
I recently had my first wipe out after 10 years (if you don’t count car hits that I’d argue caused those crashes). I found out that Ice looks nearly identical to salted/brined dry pavement through Oakley Prizm Road lenses.
Sort on that vein, I won't wear polarized lenses because they tended to hide the real nature of the surface. Those slick oil spots would disappear. Hated that.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 02-23-21, 07:51 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,827 Times in 4,621 Posts
Originally Posted by ellburrito
Had my first big wipeout last week going 30 around a slippery curve. No broken bones, and the road rash has nearly healed, but my hip feels off. Walking or otherwise using the muscle is fine and no road rash there, but it burns to the touch. Anyone experienced something similar?

- A sad side sleeper
If you went down at 30 mph and you didn't need the ER, you were lucky. But if that hip doesn't start feeling better, you need to see a doctor. Strangers on the internet are not a good source of medical advice.

Originally Posted by dmanthree
Sort on that vein, I won't wear polarized lenses because they tended to hide the real nature of the surface. Those slick oil spots would disappear. Hated that.
Those Oakley Road Prizm lenses suck. I've got a pair somewhere but don't use them. They dull the contrast, so that it is actually harder to read a road surface.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-23-21, 08:03 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
I'm wearing polarized lenses now. They have their good and bad. The trick is to be aware. Now when I raced sailboats on San Francisco Bay I learned very fast they simply did not work. Reading the water surface was critical to reading the tide and current underneath. With polarized glasses, I could tell you the species of fish and their weights but the water surface? There was a surface? Could a fooled me.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 02-24-21, 03:07 AM
lanpa8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had similar fall and got all bruised up luckily no broken bones just blood vessel damage which healed on its own after 2-3 weeks but right thigh was all black and purple. Doctor just gave me some ointment cream for 2 weeks. I highly recommend getting xray to check for blood vessel damage or broken bones. I didnt see doctor until 2 weeks after accident but should of gone earlier so that I would heal faster and not worry so much
Old 02-25-21, 05:31 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts

- A sad side sleeper
Slick, i still carry the wounds of my multiple mtb crashes going back to 80's...full rigid pre suspension flying down fire roads hitting whoodeedoos and hitting the ground or trees.
It happens.....be safe.
Old 02-25-21, 06:05 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 498 Posts
Had my first big wipeout last week going 30 around a slippery curve No broken bones, and the road rash has nearly healed, but my hip feels off. Walking or otherwise using the muscle is fine and no road rash there, but it burns to the touch. Anyone experienced something similar?

- A sad side sleeper
Was that 30mph or 30kph and WHAT HEAVY DUTY PADDING were you wearing that the road rash has nearly healed???

HOW'S the BIKE??? Glad you are doing good.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 02-25-21, 11:55 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

Those Oakley Road Prizm lenses suck. I've got a pair somewhere but don't use them. They dull the contrast, so that it is actually harder to read a road surface.
Incorrect, but believe whatever you want.
Old 02-25-21, 06:05 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
If you went down at 30 mph and you didn't need the ER, you were lucky. But if that hip doesn't start feeling better, you need to see a doctor. Strangers on the internet are not a good source of medical advice.

I have Oakleys, but not sure if they're the prizm. They are sharp, though (prescription lenses).
Old 02-26-21, 03:32 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 2,192 Times in 1,234 Posts
30 miles an hour on a slippery road and that’s all you got? Lucky! I went over the handlebars at 12 mph and spent a day in the hospital. Broke my face in five places , orbital bone and cheek bones. Also my left hand metacarpal broke. I was wearing a helmet or it may have been much worse. I hope you feel better soon.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-27-21, 04:33 PM
ellburrito

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Okay... but strangers on the internet sure are a hoot
Likes For ellburrito:
Old 02-27-21, 04:37 PM
ellburrito

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
HOW'S the BIKE??? Glad you are doing good.
Strava says 30mph... The bike lost a bit of paint and cracked the plastic cover on a shifter, but aside from that it's in pretty good shape! That was my first question when I got up...
Likes For ellburrito:
Old 02-28-21, 03:49 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 769 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
...................HOW'S the BIKE??? ...............
Strava says 30mph... The bike lost a bit of paint and cracked the plastic cover on a shifter, but aside from that it's in pretty good shape! That was my first question when I got up...
r.e. bold >>> 100% a Bicyclist
Old 03-04-21, 01:35 PM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
As they say it's not a matter of if but when. Good luck on the recovery.
Old 03-04-21, 10:35 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I'm nowhwere near 30 mph in slippery turns. No more wipeouts for me, unless I'm getting paid for it!
What has slowed me down on descents is old age and carbon bars and stem. When your cockpit gets expensive to replace, it makes you think.
Old 03-05-21, 08:09 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 413 Posts
Glad you're ok! And the bike too!

Had a similar crash, about 30mph (prob less by the time I hit the pavement, I was able to scrub off a lil speed before the bike slid out), sharp right hand curve, wet road. Tore up my leg pretty bad, took about two months to fully heal, but the bike was ok! Still had about 20 miles left in the race, so I found all of my stuff that went flying into the bushes and finished the race. lol

The gps track still cracks me up, thankfully there wasn't a car coming the other way, because I slid across the road and off the other side.