Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bottom Bracket Retrofit

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bottom Bracket Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-21, 08:46 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Bottom Bracket Retrofit

I’ve currently installed a Campy 70mm Italian) BB with a 111mm spindle, coupled w/ a mid-90’s Chorus Crank in the bike. Works & shifts as it should.
I’d like to install an Omas Italian Ti BB (70mm) that has a 114mm spindle. It’s a moveable (sliding) BB w/ 2 adjustable cups.
Will this fit/work w/o issue?
Old 02-26-21, 09:16 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
Apparently Omas uses an ISO taper, but it's going to depend on being able to insert the drive side cup 3 mm deeper into the shell of the frame and still have enough threads showing to put the lock ring on it. Because if you leave the excess spindle on the drive side, you'll just screw up the chain line.

Here's a guy selling one with a 109 mm spindle. https://www.ebay.com/itm/27393195603...f7cbf56bf689d5

But personally, if there's nothing wrong with the Campagnolo unit, I wouldn't change it.
Old 02-26-21, 09:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I personally wouldn't change it. If your Campy unit works stick with it. Changing your spindle length will require other adjusting of the front derailleur to accommodate for the new position of the cranks. Yes you could adjust it out and have your NDS crank be farther out and such but why?

I love Ti but replacing a working unit with something that isn't the same dimension wise just because it is made of a cool material is kind of silly.
Old 02-26-21, 09:31 PM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Here's a guy selling one with a 109 mm spindle. https://www.ebay.com/itm/27393195603...f7cbf56bf689d5

But personally, if there's nothing wrong with the Campagnolo unit, I wouldn't change it.
Yup, I hear you...‘If it works, leave it alone’ ! Usually not my style though. More like; ‘fix it till it’s broke...lol
I’m Trying to knock-off some weight on this one.

I’m familiar w/ the seller of that Omas 109 BB.
We don’t exactly meet eye to eye . . . 👀
But, Thx for the suggestion

Last edited by 1 Lugnut; 02-26-21 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-26-21, 09:42 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Within what each of calls their "reason" BB weight is pretty much a non factor in real life. Besides the small scale reading difference is the stiffness of the spindle factor. For the same OD the Ti will be about 2/3 the stiffness of the steel one. Some riders are smooth enough pedallers so this is no big deal. But if you're a large guy and/or pedal squares perhaps not what with the chain rub increases to be expected. That said I do agree with oldbobcat is regard to the cup/lock ring aspect.
Old 02-27-21, 08:14 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Your 111mm Campagnolo bottom bracket is a symmetrical spindle for C-Record and newer cranks. The 114mm OMAS bottom bracket is probably intended for a preC-Record asymmetrical (Record/Super Record or equivalent) road crank. That both sides of the OMAS unit are adjustable means it's possible it could work, but you may find there is no exposed thread for the drive side lockring.
Likes For JohnDThompson: