Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You might want to try this tire

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

You might want to try this tire

Old 02-22-21, 12:56 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Maybe it is my luck with Schwalbe, but they have been the worst effing tires I have used of late. In the past 2 years, I have had 1 flat on my Turbo Cottons, 1 flat on my GP5ks, 0 flats on my Gravelking slicks, 2 tubeless flats on my RapidAirs (both sealed). In the meantime, I have had to toss 2 Pro Ones due to side wall cuts, and a third Pro One due to the casing getting damaged - all within less than 1000km of riding. So i decided to try the regular Ones (a little more puncture protection and tan side walls): 3 flats in 500km and they feel noticeably sluggish on the ride. They sealed each time, but this experience has put me off Schwalbe for a while now..

Back to the original post - the Gravelking SKs most definitely do NOT ride too well on the road. I got a pair and sold them after 2 rides, as they were noticeably slower on tarmac. The Gravelking slicks, on the other hand, are a fantastic all-road tire. After I use up the above-mentioned POS Schwalbe Ones, i am going to use them as my training tire.
The previous gen Pro Ones had a reputation for being on the delicate side of things, but I haven't heard the same about the new Pro One Evo Addix etc etc. I've got about 5k miles on the new version and they've been good - one did take a 6-7mm cut that re-opened twice when banged just right (once on a bridge joint, once on a pothole edge), but it also sealed all three times without any intervention. They ride and roll very nicely, though, and are currently my favorite tire.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-23-21, 01:30 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The previous gen Pro Ones had a reputation for being on the delicate side of things, but I haven't heard the same about the new Pro One Evo Addix etc etc. I've got about 5k miles on the new version and they've been good - one did take a 6-7mm cut that re-opened twice when banged just right (once on a bridge joint, once on a pothole edge), but it also sealed all three times without any intervention. They ride and roll very nicely, though, and are currently my favorite tire.
Yeah, I read about the previous generation Pro Ones being susceptible to side wall cuts - which is why I was willing to try a different line of Schwalbes (the Ones, not the Pro Ones - which supposedly have more puncture protection). But after 3 flats on their supposedly more puncture-resistant tires, I think i am done with Schwalbes for a few years now. Corsas and Pirellis are on my list to try next.
Old 02-23-21, 06:35 AM
spilot101

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Love the P Zero Velo 4S. Very frisky
Likes For spilot101:
Old 02-23-21, 07:08 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by guadzilla
Yeah, I read about the previous generation Pro Ones being susceptible to side wall cuts - which is why I was willing to try a different line of Schwalbes (the Ones, not the Pro Ones - which supposedly have more puncture protection). But after 3 flats on their supposedly more puncture-resistant tires, I think i am done with Schwalbes for a few years now. Corsas and Pirellis are on my list to try next.
My understanding was that the current Ones are the old Pro Ones, at least that's what I'd read when the new Pro Ones were introduced.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Corsas and Pirelli (P Zero Velo Race, I assume?), though. Both are on my short list, too, though durability concerns with the Corsas had me take a pass on them for this year.
Old 02-23-21, 10:28 AM
czero8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Uh, okay. The non-tubeless, regular clinchers are supposed to be pretty good, so I would simply suspect that their first effort in a high performance tubeless tire fell a short.
We cant tell what the future brings to goodyear road tires hope it is a "goodyear", a bit more r&d into it might take them a level higher and probably see a pro team using one in the future.
Old 02-23-21, 11:34 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by spilot101
Love the P Zero Velo 4S. Very frisky
As do I. One of the only tires I have stocked religiously since they were introduced. Most of our riders are on Pirelli, Donnelly/Clement (if we could ever get any more LGGs), or Conti GP 5k. I only stock the 4S and the 4S TLR variants in 25 and 26 respectively.

My understanding was that the current Ones are the old Pro Ones, at least that's what I'd read when the new Pro Ones were introduced.

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the Corsas and Pirelli (P Zero Velo Race, I assume?), though. Both are on my short list, too, though durability concerns with the Corsas had me take a pass on them for this year.
We have extensive time on the Pirelli lineup...err...P Zero Velo that is. Both Velo and 4S variants as well as the TLR. Really a total tire. The 4S is slightly more durable and therefore slightly harder than the straight Velo. As such you can get the tiniest bit of chatter at high speed unweighted off camber stuff as an example but I have only ever had myself and one other rider ever notice that. Something you could reasonable push a bike to do and then notice - which is why I mention it - but nothing the vast majority of people here would ever notice.

It's sure as crap not like riding a dead Conti. I feel like some sort of computer nerd who mocks everyone running windows machines whenever I take shots at conti. i get it...they're ubiquitous and the only tire anyone on the internet seems to know about so I just try and accept that they will be on everything. WhyFi if you want to try the Pirelli I would highly recommend it. If you need to score a set to try then drop me a line through the site. I almost always have them on hand....in 4S and TLR in 25/26.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-23-21, 11:52 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
As do I. One of the only tires I have stocked religiously since they were introduced. Most of our riders are on Pirelli, Donnelly/Clement (if we could ever get any more LGGs), or Conti GP 5k. I only stock the 4S and the 4S TLR variants in 25 and 26 respectively.

We have extensive time on the Pirelli lineup...err...P Zero Velo that is. Both Velo and 4S variants as well as the TLR. Really a total tire. The 4S is slightly more durable and therefore slightly harder than the straight Velo. As such you can get the tiniest bit of chatter at high speed unweighted off camber stuff as an example but I have only ever had myself and one other rider ever notice that. Something you could reasonable push a bike to do and then notice - which is why I mention it - but nothing the vast majority of people here would ever notice.

It's sure as crap not like riding a dead Conti. I feel like some sort of computer nerd who mocks everyone running windows machines whenever I take shots at conti. i get it...they're ubiquitous and the only tire anyone on the internet seems to know about so I just try and accept that they will be on everything. WhyFi if you want to try the Pirelli I would highly recommend it. If you need to score a set to try then drop me a line through the site. I almost always have them on hand....in 4S and TLR in 25/26.
That's good to hear and yours is certainly a testimonial that I'll give some weight. They are on my short list and might have just moved top of the list for next year. I'm going to be limited to the Race TLR, though - I'm running Zipp 303S, so I need hookless-compatible tubeless.

And yeah, I never got the Conti GP4kII hype, so the fact that the 5ks aren't hookless compatible was no loss when I considered and decided upon on the 303S.

Currently have high hopes for my tire-o'-the-year for 2021 - Michelin Power Road TLRs, which just arrived yesterday.
Old 02-23-21, 01:14 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,644 Times in 6,053 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Hi

This is the road forum.

Our bikes might get dirty if we venture onto gravel.

Nope.
Gravel roads are roads.
Old 02-24-21, 08:18 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts

Well hell, i got fooled in that case. Didnt realize that was the case - and weirdly, the Ones *feel* a lot slower/sluggish than the older Pro Ones. Could be placebo, could be 25c vs 28c....
Old 02-26-21, 07:24 AM
WhyFi

Damn it. I see that LordGun has 28mm Pirelli P Zero Race TLRs in stock at a pretty good price. I already have all of the tires that I'll need for the year, but damn Psimet2001 and his glowing testimonials has me thinking, "why not both?"
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-26-21, 07:51 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3211 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 964 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
It is, but one with a puncture protection layer. Generally race tires without a puncture protection layer are marked or marketed as timetrial tires (examples; Continental Supersonic, Vittoria Corsa Speed, Schwalbe Pro One TT, Michelin Power TT), while road race tires (such as the GP5000, Schwalbe Pro One, Vittoria Corsa, etc) do have a puncture protection layer underneath the thread; this makes them a slight bit heavier and often the rolling resistance is slightly higher, but not by much while the puncture protection is much improved.

If you take one of those in tubeless, it's exceedingly unlikely to flat.
I have close to 4K miles on a set of GP5000 TL with wear indicator still showing and zero flats. It’s a pretty good tire IMO
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 02-27-21, 02:36 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by phrantic09
I have close to 4K miles on a set of GP5000 TL with wear indicator still showing and zero flats. It’s a pretty good tire IMO
Ooooh, I finished a 300k last week, canvas showing all the way around on my ageing GP4000 which I hadn't ridden for 6 months.
Wear dots still OK. I guess there might be a few more km in it but I'm not game to find out.

Old 02-27-21, 10:01 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Damn it. I see that LordGun has 28mm Pirelli P Zero Race TLRs in stock at a pretty good price. I already have all of the tires that I'll need for the year, but damn Psimet2001 and his glowing testimonials has me thinking, "why not both?"
if you get another bike, you'll be able to try more tires every season.
Old 02-27-21, 10:15 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by noodle soup
if you get another bike, you'll be able to try more tires every season.
A thinkin' man!
Old 03-16-21, 01:05 PM
BakinaRakija

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Any decent alternatives to the Gravelking slicks? 35-40c, no side knobs, skinwalls and and slick is what I'm after. GK's are actualy quite expensive in Europe, and I'm not ready to pay that much for a tire that wears out that quickly. Road touring and urban riding is what I need from them.
Old 03-17-21, 07:24 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3071 Post(s)
Liked 1,624 Times in 999 Posts
Originally Posted by BakinaRakija
Any decent alternatives to the Gravelking slicks? 35-40c, no side knobs, skinwalls and and slick is what I'm after. GK's are actualy quite expensive in Europe, and I'm not ready to pay that much for a tire that wears out that quickly. Road touring and urban riding is what I need from them.
The Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass is a tire you’ll want to check out.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...-bon-jon-pass/

The Extralight casing can be a hassle to set up tubeless, so the hottest ticket is probably to run Aerothan tubes in those. The Standard casing does tubeless easily.

P.S. I had a lot of fun drinking rakija in Croatia!

Last edited by chaadster; 03-17-21 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-17-21, 07:40 AM
BakinaRakija

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
The Rene Herse Bon Jon Pass is a tire you’ll want to check out.

https://www.renehersecycles.com/shop...-bon-jon-pass/

The Extralight casing can be a hassle to set up tubeless, so the hottest ticket is probably to run Aerothan tubes in those. The Standard casing does tubeless easily.

P.S. I had a lot of fun drinking rakija in Croatia!
Thanks for the info, looks really nice, and even the standard casing weight is light by my standards. The thing is, it's probably even harder to get in Europe than panaracer, and the price is close or even higher. But it definetly fits the "profile( ) " I'm looking for, both functionally and esthetically. And if it's more durable thank GK's, I might consider this.

I might just go with panaracer pisela protite wire beads, if I can get them.

My nick actually means granny's rakija. I'm from Slovenia, next to Croatia, the rakija is just as good, while we can't really compete with their seaside. A lot of great roads for cycling in both countries though.

Last edited by BakinaRakija; 03-17-21 at 08:00 AM.