Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chinarello build (dhgate)

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chinarello build (dhgate)

Old 03-04-20, 05:44 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by tagaproject6
Because they can. It's a sticker, not proof of authenticity. Some people's feelings get hurt about it, some people don't care. Which one are you?
Are those the only two choices?
Old 03-04-20, 05:47 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
I’ve seen some of these counterfeit bikes with decals that actually said “Chinarello”.
A Chinarello sticker would be much more appealing.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-04-20, 05:51 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Are those the only two choices?
+1. Why can’t we just not GAF?

I’m not gonna buy/ride a counterfeit Pinarello, but I don’t care what anyone else does.
Old 03-05-20, 09:14 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I just think it's funny to fake something like that. If you do it, to me there's no question you're trying to impress someone that you have something you don't have. Pure vanity.

If our when I buy a generic frame, I'd have some nice personal custom stickers, not something that is fake.

Jmho of course. I hope that answers your question.
It won't affect those that don't care. The vain ones usually care about others' vanity themselves.
Old 03-05-20, 09:44 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 7618 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,813 Posts
yeah .... there is a local homeless guy with a Mercedes star on the front of his shopping cart ... I am planning to sue him on behalf of Mercedes owners everywhere. This stuff matters, dammit.

Having a pretty bike which you love to ride means Nothing! The labels on the hubs Must be properly oriented.
Old 04-11-21, 08:41 AM
espi-JG
I see you over there

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 8 Posts
She went on a diet:
1x Sram Red cranks w/ Wolf Tooth 50t chainring
6800 brake calipers
knockoff carbon Power saddle
11-25 Sroad cassette
PYC SP1101 chain
16.8 lbs in a size 58
5 years old, fake af and STILL going strong
s://i.imgur.com/e795AHV.jpg

Last edited by espi-JG; 04-11-21 at 09:05 AM.
Likes For espi-JG:
Old 04-11-21, 10:46 AM
digibud

Bikes: Spec Roubaix, three Fisher Montare, two Pugs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm happy for anyone with a great bike at a good price. Here's why I would never personally buy one: https://www.hambini.com/ More to the point would be the videos Hambini posts on YouTube. If you haven't seen his channel I can promise some real bike geek entertainment. He is an engineer that makes bottom brackets and other (?) parts. Folks regularly send their bikes to him with BB problems and occasionally he has the bikes scanned and can "see" where there are voids in the layup. He points out the very real problems with many frames from current manufacturers and has on more than one occasion had to shake his head and pronounce how he would not feel safe riding a bike due to manufacturing defects. The precision needed to align the bottom bracket holes that receive the BB is really quite high and difficult to replicate from bike to bike. No doubt some Chinese frames are decent and no doubt the quality control and engineering tolerances on much less expensive bikes can't be as high as they are with bikes costing $10,000. Or so I assume. It's for that reason I would rather ride a $2500 medium spec'd Trek or Specialized than a $1500 Chinese frame with a better group. No criticism for those that choose otherwise but I think it is a bit more of a risk and choose not to go that way. I would love to see somebody (not me!) buy ten Chinese frames and ten frames straight from the manufacturer and cut them up and look them over with a fine tooth comb. I am sure they would show differences but I wonder if they would be such that the safety of the Chinese bikes would come into question, which is my basic concern.
Old 04-11-21, 05:54 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by digibud
I'm happy for anyone with a great bike at a good price. Here's why I would never personally buy one: https://www.hambini.com/ More to the point would be the videos Hambini posts on YouTube. If you haven't seen his channel I can promise some real bike geek entertainment. He is an engineer that makes bottom brackets and other (?) parts. Folks regularly send their bikes to him with BB problems and occasionally he has the bikes scanned and can "see" where there are voids in the layup. He points out the very real problems with many frames from current manufacturers and has on more than one occasion had to shake his head and pronounce how he would not feel safe riding a bike due to manufacturing defects. The precision needed to align the bottom bracket holes that receive the BB is really quite high and difficult to replicate from bike to bike. No doubt some Chinese frames are decent and no doubt the quality control and engineering tolerances on much less expensive bikes can't be as high as they are with bikes costing $10,000. Or so I assume. It's for that reason I would rather ride a $2500 medium spec'd Trek or Specialized than a $1500 Chinese frame with a better group. No criticism for those that choose otherwise but I think it is a bit more of a risk and choose not to go that way. I would love to see somebody (not me!) buy ten Chinese frames and ten frames straight from the manufacturer and cut them up and look them over with a fine tooth comb. I am sure they would show differences but I wonder if they would be such that the safety of the Chinese bikes would come into question, which is my basic concern.

Hambini is a quack.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 04-11-21, 05:57 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by espi-JG
She went on a diet:
1x Sram Red cranks w/ Wolf Tooth 50t chainring
6800 brake calipers
knockoff carbon Power saddle
11-25 Sroad cassette
PYC SP1101 chain
16.8 lbs in a size 58
5 years old, fake af and STILL going strong
s://i.imgur.com/e795AHV.jpg
It's a shame they didn't have a 61cm frameset.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 04-11-21, 07:11 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
If someone wants to buy a generic frame go for it...whatever it is your choice but why in the hell would you put fake stickers on it to portray It as something it is not? If you really want to put stickers put these on there: https://www.usflags.com/china-flag-decal-sticker.html and make it authentic!
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-11-21, 08:49 PM
digibud

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Please explain

Originally Posted by noodle soup

Hambini is a quack.
I'm not an engineer so maybe you can explain your accusation?
Old 04-12-21, 06:20 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 448 Posts
It's great to see someone who can build their own bike from cheap frame purchases & make the complete bike last for over 5 years.
Regardless of where the frame came from, bike looks nice, seems to be a good purchase for whatever type of riding that you do; those naysayers are just jealous.

I've built over a dozen complete bikes from cheap Chinese carbon frames in the last 4-5 years, most of them for customers or friends.
I've kept three of them for myself to ride, I don't expect these Chinese frames to perform as carbon frames that cost 5 or 10 times more.
I'm not racing anymore, I'm not cranking out 700w output sprints like I used to and I know how to stay within the performance parameters when I ride these frames.
None of the bikes with Chinese carbon frames I built have suffered any catastrophic failure.
For casual group, club type riding, these frames perform just fine for me, just not for everyone.

Last edited by cat0020; 04-12-21 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-12-21, 10:35 AM
digibud

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hambini (who has been called a quack here for as yet no apparent reason) discusses the engineering of a Chinese brand frame, a Trifox X10 and found it to be of very high quality, better in many respects that some much more expensive famous brands. Here's the link.
Old 04-13-21, 05:19 AM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by digibud
You do realize he makes money from views. He gets views a lot more easily by trash talking than sweet talking. No one in the industry takes him seriously. His BB may be good quality, but his comments on e.g. voids are ridiculous. As are the bikes he gets, of course he only receives the ones with problems, not the ones that work.
Old 12-31-23, 01:51 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
You do realize he makes money from views. He gets views a lot more easily by trash talking than sweet talking. No one in the industry takes him seriously. His BB may be good quality, but his comments on e.g. voids are ridiculous. As are the bikes he gets, of course he only receives the ones with problems, not the ones that work.
Same could be said for those that experience problems with cheap Chinese carbon frame, you mostly hear from those with problems, but not from the ones that work.
Old 01-01-24, 12:02 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,364 Times in 2,796 Posts
Originally Posted by jwalther
Fake bikes for fake people.
and when you and all of us are dead, will any of this really matter? Will anyone care? And if it won’t matter then, why should it matter now? As long as he isn’t hurting anyone, because he certainly isn’t hurting Pinarello, what difference does it really make? What’s the saying about casting the first stone?

Old 01-01-24, 12:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10873 Post(s)
Liked 7,354 Times in 4,125 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Same could be said for those that experience problems with cheap Chinese carbon frame, you mostly hear from those with problems, but not from the ones that work.
Good thing you corrected this post after...over 2.5 years of the thread being dead.**
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-01-24, 12:58 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
Liked 1,187 Times in 750 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
and when you and all of us are dead, will any of this really matter? Will anyone care? And if it won’t matter then, why should it matter now? As long as he isn’t hurting anyone, because he certainly isn’t hurting Pinarello, what difference does it really make? What’s the saying about casting the first stone?
You're absolutely right. It's probably not really hurting anyone any more than any other counterfeit / fake item. Whether its a fake Rolex or Gucci or these fake bike frames, they certainly can be just for the owner's tongue in cheek fun (my dad once had a "Bolex" watch he liked to wear among his country club friends), they can be harmful if intended to dupe some unsuspecting sap. Regardless of "harm" or not, they are simply fake and no other way to describe them. I think with these bikes, it's a silly and lazy affectation where a much more fun and creative custom labeling could be done. No respect from me.
Old 01-01-24, 06:30 AM
jwalther

Bikes: Litespeed T3, Felt Breed 30, Co-Motion Supremo Tandem

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Goodness. Quoting my post from nearly eight years ago. My opinion apparently matters to you.

The OP certainly is hurting Pinarello, as he specifically requested the manufacturer of his bike to engage in trademark infringement.
Old 01-01-24, 06:35 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
I guess some people like to shovel dirt. It must make them feel like Indiana Jones.
Old 01-01-24, 11:19 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 5,364 Times in 2,796 Posts
Goodness. Quoting my post from nearly eight years ago. My opinion apparently matters to you.

The OP certainly is hurting Pinarello, as he specifically requested the manufacturer of his bike to engage in trademark infringement.
Yes your opinion does matter. Happy New Year to you

Old 01-02-24, 07:17 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by cat0020
Lots of people who ride Chinabombs report how well they work, and no one listens ....
Old 01-02-24, 07:36 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Here's a YT channel that reports on riding experiences on lots of Chinese cycling products.

Over 100K subscribers, I wouldn't consider that "no one listens".

https://www.youtube.com/@TraceVelo/videos
Old 01-02-24, 07:40 AM
Maelochs

Actually .... in order to prove this you would need to show loss of revenue to Pinarello because of this branding. Obviously it is trademark infringement, but is it costing Pinarello sales? Are people buying Chinarellos for ridiculously low (compared to Pinarello) prices and thinking they are real? I cannot imagine anyone who is really looking at real Pinarellos (not brands carried widely or advertised widely) is likely to have heard about Chinarello, and will not be fooled by an Aliexpress frame at one-fifth the price of the real thing.
Old 01-02-24, 08:11 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 421 Posts
Just like everywhere else in the world, there are good and cheap brands in China. For instance, Yoeleo is a Chinese bicycle manufacturer that has a great notoriety and offers quality products according to the reviews I've read.

Wouldn't trust a brand called Chinarello though. I don't even like the real thing so
Likes For eduskator:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.