Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best internal routing tool

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 04-16-21, 09:12 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts

Which is it? Park, Icetoolz, Jagwire or some other?

Jagwire has no long cables. Is that good or bad?

Thanks

Last edited by Greatestalltime; 04-16-21 at 12:52 PM.
Old 04-16-21, 09:23 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I've been using the Park since it came out. Works well enough most of the time, really well sometimes. Haven't tried any others.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-16-21, 11:01 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
the Icetoolz one doesn't include the cable used to route cables w/o housings, but otherwise should work as well as the Park kit.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 04-16-21, 11:21 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 3,832 Times in 2,492 Posts
Great headline! I just had a colonoscopy yesterday. Sadly, I didn't ask what brand routing equipment they used. Edit: It incorporated a good light and camera.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 04-16-21, 12:51 PM
Greatestalltime

Originally Posted by noodle soup
the Icetoolz one doesn't include the cable used to route cables w/o housings, but otherwise should work as well as the Park kit.
Which as a roadie I need, right? Don’t most people not use the housing in the frame?
Old 04-16-21, 01:15 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 1,257 Times in 643 Posts
Aliexpress has them super cheap and works great.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 04-16-21, 01:28 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Aliexpress has them super cheap and works great.
If you have time to wait for the tool to arrive, Aliexpress is great for tools like this, that won't see heavy use.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 04-16-21, 01:31 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
How many frames do you need to route? If you're doing this for a living, cool, buy the best tools that you can justify. If you're just routing one frame, try some dental floss, a tiny washer and a strong magnet, first.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-16-21, 05:55 PM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by WhyFi
How many frames do you need to route? If you're doing this for a living, cool, buy the best tools that you can justify. If you're just routing one frame, try some dental floss, a tiny washer and a strong magnet, first.
+1

If you only need the tool once, I'd try the different tricks that occasionally work.
Old 04-16-21, 09:56 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 334 Posts
Running replacement cables
Many years ago, I posted how to pull a replacement brake cable by sliding thin tubing over the existing cable before removing it. That becomes a guide for the new cable. It's cheap and easy.
It should be good for shifter cables too. This wouldn't work with Di2 cables that have permanent connectors.

From 2014! replacing internal cables
And the linked video is still working.

Last edited by rm -rf; 04-16-21 at 10:00 PM.
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 04-16-21, 10:06 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Shop vac and dental floss. Use mint-flavored ribbon.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 04-16-21, 11:38 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Running replacement cables
Many years ago, I posted how to pull a replacement brake cable by sliding thin tubing over the existing cable before removing it. That becomes a guide for the new cable. It's cheap and easy.
It should be good for shifter cables too. This wouldn't work with Di2 cables that have permanent connectors.

From 2014! replacing internal cables
And the linked video is still working.
Yeah, this. For Di2 and EPS cables, you can get a gear cable and put a bit of heatshrink on the end and make it fit tightly on the plug.
Old 04-17-21, 04:29 AM
Greatestalltime

Normally I’m often making do with less than perfect tools, but now I’m older (47) and I’d like the perfect tool for each job as I no longer want to go to any bike shop.

I bought a wheels bearing press and park tool BB remover. I will likely use them two or three times ever? Maybe a few more. Who knows. I have 3 bikes plus my wife’s so maybe 5 times.

I think I’ve settled on the icetoolz over the Jagwire and cheaper Chinese versions of the ice and park version.

Yeah. I’ll likely not need it much, but I don’t need anymore frustrating and I’m pretty sure I like “wasting” a little money on my bikes and tools.
Likes For Greatestalltime:
Old 04-17-21, 05:33 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
"Best internal routing tool"

Sram eTap HRD... no cabled
Old 04-17-21, 06:03 AM
Greatestalltime

Originally Posted by GlennR
"Best internal routing tool"

Sram eTap HRD... no cabled
Brakes too??

I need them!
Old 04-17-21, 06:51 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
Normally I’m often making do with less than perfect tools, but now I’m older (47) and I’d like the perfect tool for each job as I no longer want to go to any bike shop.

I bought a wheels bearing press and park tool BB remover. I will likely use them two or three times ever? Maybe a few more. Who knows. I have 3 bikes plus my wife’s so maybe 5 times.

I think I’ve settled on the icetoolz over the Jagwire and cheaper Chinese versions of the ice and park version.

Yeah. I’ll likely not need it much, but I don’t need anymore frustrating and I’m pretty sure I like “wasting” a little money on my bikes and tools.
Cool - nice tools are awesome, as long as they're not taking food off of your table a power meter out of your shopping cart or something like that.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 04-17-21, 07:09 AM
Greatestalltime

Cool - nice tools are awesome, as long as they're not taking food off of your table a power meter out of your shopping cart or something like that.
Quote of the day!!
Old 04-17-21, 07:55 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Greatestalltime
Brakes too??

I need them!
Brakes are hydraulic.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 04-17-21, 11:20 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
I have a piece of tubing I run through the frame with the current cable. Then I pull the cable out and the tubing remains and I thread the new cable in the tubing. Then run the housing it is easy and I don't need anything they offer as a tool to do this job. My favorite though is my regular Ti bike that has exposed cables and I just change them in a flash and much to be said for the old way. Once you have the system down for what your bike requires it is at least doable and no need for anything special you cannot make yourself, and no need to see the LBS.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 04-17-21, 11:29 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by deacon mark
I have a piece of tubing I run through the frame with the current cable. Then I pull the cable out and the tubing remains and I thread the new cable in the tubing. Then run the housing it is easy and I don't need anything they offer as a tool to do this job. My favorite though is my regular Ti bike that has exposed cables and I just change them in a flash and much to be said for the old way. Once you have the system down for what your bike requires it is at least doable and no need for anything special you cannot make yourself, and no need to see the LBS.
Yeah, once something is routed, it's easy to fish subsequent wire/cables/hoses/guides through - just don't be a dummy and yank something out without thinking ahead - but I assume that were were coving the starting-from-scratch scenario, which requires tools and/or ingenuity to avoid frustration.
Old 04-17-21, 11:37 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 120 Posts
Yeah, once something is routed, it's easy to fish subsequent wire/cables/hoses/guides through - just don't be a dummy and yank something out without thinking ahead - but I assume that were were coving the starting-from-scratch scenario, which requires tools and/or ingenuity to avoid frustration.
\
Actually for me that is not all the difficult either but I assume that can be bike specific. In my case I repair guitars for a living and they are 100 times more difficult to work on that bikes, so I have guitar strings I use to thread a bare frame. A guitar string of .22 gauge wire will poke in a straight line and generally go through the frame. Once I have that in I am good to go since it now is like any other cable. The guitar string even bigger gauges work well as they don't deform and bend like cables, or as much. Really it is bike specific to get a plan but the tool I assume is useful and depending on your needs buy one. I made my dish tool also but if you do a lot of wheels the park is nice.
Likes For deacon mark:
Old 04-17-21, 01:17 PM
RandomDesign

Bikes: 2021 BMC Teammachine SLR Three

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 20 Posts
I got the Park tool cable puller for my Di2 rebuild and a bike build I'm doing for my wife. It made the cable pulling super fast and easy so I was satisfied with spending the money on it. I'm sure there were cheaper or diy options out there but I've been happy with my other Park tools and it was readily available on Amazon with next day delivery for me along with a few other things I needed for my build.
Likes For RandomDesign:
Old 04-17-21, 05:49 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
If you think about it, starting from scratch shouldn't happen. Even on a brand new frameset, you should be getting it with sleeves in there, and if somebody's stripped it, they'd either be a dingbat or a scumbag to not at least run string or something when removing the cables.

If I'm buying an internally routed frame, I'd be checking that and negotiating accordingly. It's not the quarter hour's labour, but the cost of the damn tool you shouldn't need.

Not that I'd buy it rather than spend half an hour without it, but you know, it's the principle.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 04-17-21, 09:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 3,841 Times in 2,563 Posts
I have the original park IR.1 kit and it works just fine, the new one is a bit nicer with the Di2 routing stuff but my Di2 bike is already routed and if we had something at the shop I would probably leave it to one of the mechanics or just use one of their tools if I had to do the wrenching.

The Jagwire tool looks fine but I think the Park one is the best and probably the most useful out of all the ones I have seen.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-18-21, 03:27 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I bend the tip of the cable at an angle, about the last inch. Then I slide it through the frame and twist the cable when the tip is near the hole. It finds the opening pretty quickly on my bikes. But I personally do not like internal routing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.