Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

What is the use of this brace/cross bar?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-21, 04:23 PM
TooLegit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts

What is the use of this brace/cross bar? It clamps down on each side of the bar with hex bolts. I bought this bike on CL and the previous owner didn’t say why he installed it. This is on an early 90’s Specialized Rockhopper.
Old 04-21-21, 05:05 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Probably an accessory bar -- lights, computer, phone, etc. Pretty common with mountain bikes converted to commuter use. It's hard to clamp anything on those stock handlebars because the difference in diameter caused most clamp-on accessories fit askew.

Some 1980s rigid mountain bikes had a double cross bar for reinforcement, that often was padded with purpose designed foam rubber, or makeshift stuff like pipe wrap from the plumbing department. Presumably to reduce injuries from cracking ones face on the bar. I rarely see that anymore.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 04-21-21, 05:58 PM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
I have seen after market bolt on braces, but it's generally something that came with the bar originally.

It's just an attempt to emulate moto stuff that looks similar, and probably does stiffen the bar to some degree.
Likes For wesmamyke:
Old 04-21-21, 06:53 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
The diameter looks too small for an accessory bar, but I can't think of another reason why one would attach extra weight.
Maybe someplace to put ones hand for a downhill "more aero" position?
Old 04-21-21, 07:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
Wow people missed out on the 90s. It is a bar to stiffen up the front end. Back when we rode on 25.4 bars they tended to be a bit flexy and so it was a way to make things stiffer and maybe a touch stronger. They are certainly more common on motocross bikes but that is where a lot of the early MTB stuff came from before it fully branched out into its own stuff though a lot of those companies are still doing MX stuff as well.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-21-21, 08:02 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
Saw these a lot with BMX. Not sure why they would use there.
Old 04-21-21, 09:55 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Probably an accessory bar -- lights, computer, phone, etc. Pretty common with mountain bikes converted to commuter use. It's hard to clamp anything on those stock handlebars because the difference in diameter caused most clamp-on accessories fit askew.

Some 1980s rigid mountain bikes had a double cross bar for reinforcement, that often was padded with purpose designed foam rubber, or makeshift stuff like pipe wrap from the plumbing department. Presumably to reduce injuries from cracking ones face on the bar. I rarely see that anymore.
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
The diameter looks too small for an accessory bar, but I can't think of another reason why one would attach extra weight.
Maybe someplace to put ones hand for a downhill "more aero" position?
It surprises me that you 2 actually thought about the OP's question, then posted these answers. The item in question is a bolt-on cross bar added for strength. Lots of downhilly guys used them in the early-mid-late 90's before handlebar companies started making light and strong rise bars for enduro/downhill. It is most definitely not an 'accessory mount bar' or an 'aero handhold'. Please.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-22-21, 02:28 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
It is most definitely not an 'accessory mount bar' or an 'aero handhold'. Please.
BUT... since it is no longer the 90s, it looks retro cool and perfect to mount your phone.

On other things, it needs something like a reflector mounted on that hole in the forks where a caliper brake would go, to act as a brake cable catcher - so that it looks even more retro
Old 04-22-21, 07:41 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
On other things, it needs something like a reflector mounted on that hole in the forks where a caliper brake would go, to act as a brake cable catcher - so that it looks even more retro
Or, more importantly, to act as a stop to keep the straddle cable from falling onto the front tire if the main brake cable breaks.
Old 04-22-21, 08:21 AM
tommymc

Bikes: Many, mostly old & low tech

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts

Styles peak, decline and eventually return as retro (like Bermuda shorts). Cross-braced BMX bars made it onto early mountain bikes I think Nitto did a variation called a Bullmoose integrated with a quill stem. Now Nitto is back with another one on a threadless stem. It costs almost as much as a whole BMX bike did back then but the nostalgia effect is cool. This is on my fixed bike. I had to trim the saddle nose up a bit from the previous drop bar setting to sit a little up right.
Old 04-22-21, 08:37 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Accessory mount? Aero Bar?
I've said it many times, for BF, there are only two kinds of MTB's FS 29'ers and '85 Schwinn High Sierras.

"Moto" cross-bar. Keeps this from happening:

From the time when before they made bars like this:

Old 04-22-21, 09:39 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
It's bolt-on because stems at the time were one-bolt, with the handlebar being slid into the clamp.
Likes For woodcraft: