Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Recommended Dry Lubes

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Recommended Dry Lubes

Old 05-12-21, 06:33 PM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Recommended Dry Lubes

Hi All,

What are the most popular / recommended Dry Lubes these days? Finally running out of my Prolink Gold.

My bike has SRAM Force AXS if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Old 05-12-21, 07:34 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 549 Posts
rock and roll has been good I never have to clean the chain. just apply and wipe it off. I only get a tiny bit of buildup on the jockey wheels and chainring. it lasts around 100 or so miles. the blue does better in rain I like it because it is easy to apply you don't have too go link by link. I wish it lasted longer though.
Old 05-12-21, 07:47 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 1,661 Times in 978 Posts
Squirt

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 05-12-21, 08:15 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I switched to Dumonde Tech Lite from Prolink Gold. Can't remember why I made the switch but I keep buying it so I guess its ok LOL Seriously though I think with the Dumonde Tech Lite an application lasts a little longer and runs a little quieter (splitting hairs), but it can get a messy and attract grit if I don't periodically wipe down with a rag beyond normal full on chain cleanings. If I couldn't find Dumonde tech anywhere though, I wouldn't hesitate to buy Prolink or Rock N Roll Gold instead - all are good products.
Likes For MagicHour:
Old 05-13-21, 07:11 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
I've been using White Lightning for years. It's clean and doesn't give that black residue that gets all over everything. It doesn't last real long, but it is good stuff.
Old 05-13-21, 07:14 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 549 Posts
mainly for me it is to keep from having to clean the chain. you pay the price of having to apply it more often. a few I wanted to try but they want the chain to sit overnight to dry but that does not work for me I usually ride within a few hours at most after applying it. rock and roll will even work if your chain is wet.
Old 05-13-21, 07:20 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked 1,226 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
What are the most popular / recommended Dry Lubes these days? Finally running out of my Prolink Gold.
Wait, I'm confused: Is Prolink Gold really considered a "dry lube"? Or are you just looking to make a change?

For my dry lube needs I've long been a fan of Finish Line Dry with Teflon.
Old 05-13-21, 07:39 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Wait, I'm confused: Is Prolink Gold really considered a "dry lube"? Or are you just looking to make a change?

For my dry lube needs I've long been a fan of Finish Line Dry with Teflon.
Looking for a change
Likes For WorldIRC:
Old 05-13-21, 09:37 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3182 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
If you want to step out of the "bicycle use" category, the various hardware stores have lots of options.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blaster-Har...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 05-13-21, 03:10 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1220 Post(s)
Liked 1,226 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by WorldIRC
Looking for a change
Ah...well then, at the risk of encouraging option anxiety: While I do indeed use Finish Line Dry with Teflon for all my dry lube needs, I don't actually use it as my regular chain lube. After having used Prolink Gold as my regular chain lube for a decade or so, I switched to NFS and that's now my go-to for most bike lubing requirements. The Finish Line Dry mostly just gets used for lubing cleats.
Old 05-13-21, 03:53 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Snotrub
I've been using White Lightning for years. It's clean and doesn't give that black residue that gets all over everything. It doesn't last real long, but it is good stuff.
Contrasting opinion:
I like pretty much anything besides White Lightning or actual wax. Literally anything. I think that WL is the worst thing you can put on your chain...besides wax.
Old 05-13-21, 04:15 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4193 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,852 Posts
I've recently switched from Squirt to Silca Super Secret. I have to say the Silca makes my drivetrain run completely silent and super clean. It repels dirt amazingly well. I had pretty good results with Squirt too, but the Silca seems to penetrate the chain links much better and the chain runs cleaner. Squirt tends to get a bit sticky after a few applications. Overall I'm pretty sold on the wax based lubes.
Old 05-13-21, 04:28 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4696 Post(s)
Liked 1,512 Times in 987 Posts
I decided to dump using the drip wax stuff.. For whatever reason, a week goes by and you have this sticky gunk on your chain.
Went back for now to RnR "Holy Cow".
Old 05-13-21, 04:44 PM
MagicHour

How is the mileage between applications with the Silca Super Secret (under normal conditions)?

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I've recently switched from Squirt to Silca Super Secret. I have to say the Silca makes my drivetrain run completely silent and super clean. It repels dirt amazingly well. I had pretty good results with Squirt too, but the Silca seems to penetrate the chain links much better and the chain runs cleaner. Squirt tends to get a bit sticky after a few applications. Overall I'm pretty sold on the wax based lubes.
Old 05-13-21, 04:49 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I decided to dump using the drip wax stuff.. For whatever reason, a week goes by and you have this sticky gunk on your chain.
Went back for now to RnR "Holy Cow".
Squirt used to generate the sticky gunk you describe, but I don't get that at all with the Silca. It just stays really slick and clean.
Old 05-13-21, 05:03 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by MagicHour
How is the mileage between applications with the Silca Super Secret (under normal conditions)?
I've only been running it for a couple of months, so still figuring it out. I did a 150 km dry race a few weeks ago and it was fine for that distance and I didn't re-apply any more lube for at least another 100 km afterward. I would say after about 200 km the drivetrain starts to make a little more noise, so that's when I have been re-applying it so far. The chain and cassette still look very clean after about half a dozen applications. Just a quick wipe over with a micro-cloth and re-apply one drop per link. So far I'm liking it more than Squirt, which I used for many years. The Silca seems to penetrate right down into the chain links when you apply it and doesn't create any sticky residue after a ride.

I got the idea of trying Silca from reading the lab tests on zerofrictioncycling.com.au
Old 05-13-21, 05:11 PM
MagicHour

Thanks, I'm getting similar mileage with Dumonde Tech Lite I mentioned above, but it does go sticky and attract grit pretty easily which is good to hear about the Silca not doing that. May give it a try.

Originally Posted by PeteHski
I've only been running it for a couple of months, so still figuring it out. I did a 150 km dry race a few weeks ago and it was fine for that distance and I didn't re-apply any more lube for at least another 100 km afterward. I would say after about 200 km the drivetrain starts to make a little more noise, so that's when I have been re-applying it so far. The chain and cassette still look very clean after about half a dozen applications. Just a quick wipe over with a micro-cloth and re-apply one drop per link. So far I'm liking it more than Squirt, which I used for many years. The Silca seems to penetrate right down into the chain links when you apply it and doesn't create any sticky residue after a ride.

I got the idea of trying Silca from reading the lab tests on zerofrictioncycling.com.au
Old 05-13-21, 05:23 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by MagicHour
Thanks, I'm getting similar mileage with Dumonde Tech Lite I mentioned above, but it does go sticky and attract grit pretty easily which is good to hear about the Silca not doing that. May give it a try.
Yes, I've been really impressed how clean my drivetrain has remained with Silca. It runs very quiet too, especially after a fresh application. Only unknown for me now is actual chain wear, but it performed extremely well in the lab tests I read. I think it's only weakness was wet weather wear, but that was partly due to them not leaving it to harden for a full 24 hours, which is now recommended for best performance in wet conditions. For use in dry conditions it's good to go after a few hours, but I try to remember to lube it the day before I next ride so it can harden overnight.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 05-14-21, 06:34 AM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Contrasting opinion:
I like pretty much anything besides White Lightning or actual wax. Literally anything. I think that WL is the worst thing you can put on your chain...besides wax.
Yep, differing opinions. I've used just about everything over the years, Rock and Roll, Pro Link (my team was sponsored by Pro Link and I HAD to use it), Tri Flow, and many others. I always gravitated back to the White Lightning. I guess I just like having a clean chain so I don't mind applying it more often that others. All of the others were good, but messy and left than nasty black chain tattoo on my left calf every other ride.
Likes For Snotrub:
Old 05-14-21, 08:32 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-14-21, 12:36 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
After having used Prolink Gold as my regular chain lube for a decade or so, I switched to NFS and that's now my go-to for most bike lubing requirements.
I made the same transition when I ran out of Prolink Gold. I like the NFS and logged more than 4k miles on my last chain. But I'm not a zealot about it; lotsa lubes are just fine.

Good luck!
Old 05-15-21, 10:19 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I've used Finish Line Dry for decades. It's easy to apply: you can just sort of slop it on your chain, let it dry a bit and wipe off the excess. It's almost entirely solvent so it almost acts as a cleaner/degreaser. It does not attract dirt in my experience, it does well in dusty conditions. It's cheap and easy to get. The major downside is it doesn't last very long and is 100% worthless in wet conditions, but both of those traits are true of most dry lubes.
Old 05-15-21, 12:44 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
I tried just about every lube, except NFS which I just ordered.
I've been using the Oz Cycle recipe for chain wax and have 2 chains. One on the bike and one in the wax container. This way there is no hassle and quick to change.
The recipe:
Here is the complete recipe and all items can be purchased on Amazon:
* 1lb of household paraffin wax (454g)
* 5g of pure PTFE (Teflon) powder
* 1g of pure molybdenum disulfide (MoS2).
Old 05-16-21, 04:57 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
rock and roll has been good I never have to clean the chain. just apply and wipe it off. I only get a tiny bit of buildup on the jockey wheels and chainring. it lasts around 100 or so miles. the blue does better in rain I like it because it is easy to apply you don't have too go link by link. I wish it lasted longer though.
I use Rock & Roll Blue even though I never ride in the rain, but I always apply 2 drops per roller, link-by-link, to minimize any mess.
Old 05-16-21, 05:04 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1867 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 975 Posts
Originally Posted by Snotrub
All of the others were good, but messy and left than nasty black chain tattoo on my left calf every other ride.
Left calf? My chain is hardly spotless but both my calves manage to avoid it. But I have skinny calves.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.