Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless Tires on Road bike. Yuck!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless Tires on Road bike. Yuck!

Old 06-14-21, 11:32 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233
I got the whole “rolling” the tire thing from a GCN YouTube video. He actually had the wheel on a table and rolled and squished the tire to spread sealant all over the inside of the tire.
Yeah not sure about squishing the tire and such....but you'll get it figured out. It really is simple once you get it. If I lived near you I would help you out.
Old 06-14-21, 02:03 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
As I said, Giant products are crap. Try other TL tires, you'll see! I can mount my Schwalbe Pro Ones on my OEM SLR rims even without an air compressor.
I've never used a compressor. A regular floor pump does the job just fine for me.

Why someone wants to disassemble their bike to swap tubes on the side of a road every time they run over a staple is beyond me. But to each their own.
"This 7:48 cycling session burned 5933 calories. Speed up recovery by replacing them with a healthy snack." - Whoop

Likes For sfrider:
Old 06-14-21, 02:50 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
I've never used a compressor. A regular floor pump does the job just fine for me.

Why someone wants to disassemble their bike to swap tubes on the side of a road every time they run over a staple is beyond me. But to each their own.
Then you haven't done much tubeless then. As a shop owner I have run into piles of combinations that took some finesse even with a compressor that were absolutely impossible with a regular floor pump. One of the tubeless ones with a chamber can usually get the job done.

On the "why would anyone" bit... For the number of flats I have had with a tube (1 in the last 5 years or so) I have absolutely had to do way more for the tubeless systems I have ran than for any tube.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-14-21, 03:22 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider

You don't have to. Just throw a little sealant in the tube.
Old 06-14-21, 03:23 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Then you haven't done much tubeless then. As a shop owner I have run into piles of combinations that took some finesse even with a compressor that were absolutely impossible with a regular floor pump. One of the tubeless ones with a chamber can usually get the job done.

On the "why would anyone" bit... For the number of flats I have had with a tube (1 in the last 5 years or so) I have absolutely had to do way more for the tubeless systems I have ran than for any tube.
And *that* is why I prefer tubes. Just so damned easy to work with.
Old 06-14-21, 07:24 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
And *that* is why I prefer tubes. Just so damned easy to work with.
I see it both ways now. Tubeless def has its advantages. If I do get a flat on the road….I’ll simply throw a tube in and inflate and be on my way. It’ll obv be not different than if I get a flat with a tubes setup. I bought a CO2 inflator head and CO2 cartridges, so roadside repair should be easy peasy. I also have a mini pump.

The extra “hassle” will be at home…getting the tire re-seated after repairing the tire. I’ll either just bring the wheel to work and use the compressor…or maybe I’ll pickup a pancake compressor. Would probably come in handy for other inflation needs at home.

im loving the 32mm tires. I ran 28mm Conti 4-seasons on my Felt, but they barely cleared the frame….so I went down to 25mm.

The 28mm tires aren’t being used, so I can always mount them (w/tubes for course) on my Defy should I have some catastrophic failure with the Fondas.
Likes For GBK233:
Old 06-15-21, 09:32 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by branko d
i just don't see myself ever using tubes anymore
fify
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 06-15-21, 09:37 AM
jadocs

The extra “hassle” will be at home…getting the tire re-seated after repairing the tire. I’ll either just bring the wheel to work and use the compressor…or maybe I’ll pickup a pancake compressor. Would probably come in handy for other inflation needs at home.
Leyzene Pressure Overdrive Floor Pump hasn't failed me yet.
Old 06-15-21, 09:43 AM
GBK233

Originally Posted by jadocs
Leyzene Pressure Overdrive Floor Pump hasn't failed me yet.
Airshot failed me, so I’m guessing a Lezyne would fail me(with this tire/wheel combo) also. $150 for a bike pump doesn’t make sense to me…when I can get a pancake compressor and all accessories for $100.
Old 06-15-21, 10:07 AM
jadocs

Airshot failed me, so I’m guessing a Lezyne would fail me(with this tire/wheel combo) also. $150 for a bike pump doesn’t make sense to me…when I can get a pancake compressor and all accessories for $100.
The thing you have to consider with compressors is it needs a high pressure blast with some tires vs. just having a constant flow at lower pressure or a slow build up of pressure. Removing the core helps but can be problematic replacing it in time for tires that come unseated easily. I know the compressor at my bike shop could not seat a tire that my Leyzene could. I can get the Leyzene up to 200psi before I release it. Anyway just some random thoughts.
Old 06-15-21, 11:16 AM
GBK233

Originally Posted by jadocs
The thing you have to consider with compressors is it needs a high pressure blast with some tires vs. just having a constant flow at lower pressure or a slow build up of pressure. Removing the core helps but can be problematic replacing it in time for tires that come unseated easily. I know the compressor at my bike shop could not seat a tire that my Leyzene could. I can get the Leyzene up to 200psi before I release it. Anyway just some random thoughts.
Agreed. Using a high pressure nozzle with the compressor will/would give the blast needed. Compressors don’t just air up things slowly obviously…it all depends on what nozzle you use.

The big diff between the 2 is that I don’t have to manually pump up pressure between blasts when using a compressor. Took me multiple attempts even using the compressor at work. After pumping the AirShot for a few attempts….I tired of the hassle in a hurry.
Old 06-15-21, 11:22 AM
jadocs

Agreed. Using a high pressure nozzle with the compressor will/would give the blast needed. Compressors don’t just air up things slowly obviously…it all depends on what nozzle you use.

The big diff between the 2 is that I don’t have to manually pump up pressure between blasts when using a compressor. Took me multiple attempts even using the compressor at work. After pumping the AirShot for a few attempts….I tired of the hassle in a hurry.
Another thing that can help with problem tires is double wrapping the tape. Start at one side of the valve hole, go around twice and end on the other side of the hole. This keeps it single ply around the valve hole and double everywhere else. Obviously when you start do not immediately wrap over the hole.
Old 06-15-21, 01:06 PM
dmanthree

I see it both ways now. Tubeless def has its advantages. If I do get a flat on the road….I’ll simply throw a tube in and inflate and be on my way. It’ll obv be not different than if I get a flat with a tubes setup. I bought a CO2 inflator head and CO2 cartridges, so roadside repair should be easy peasy. I also have a mini pump.

im loving the 32mm tires. I ran 28mm Conti 4-seasons on my Felt, but they barely cleared the frame….so I went down to 25mm.

The 28mm tires aren’t being used, so I can always mount them (w/tubes for course) on my Defy should I have some catastrophic failure with the Fondas.
I made that very repair a couple of years ago, but by the time I got home the tube and former tubeless tire were permanently welded together. I tossed both of them.
Old 06-15-21, 01:42 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
... but by the time I got home the tube and former tubeless tire were permanently welded together. I tossed both of them.
That's... odd. What sealant was this? I've only ever used Orange Seal (no reason to change), but it'll peel off of the inside of any tire that I've ever used. so I can't imagine that kind of bonding.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-15-21, 01:59 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's... odd. What sealant was this? I've only ever used Orange Seal (no reason to change), but it'll peel off of the inside of any tire that I've ever used. so I can't imagine that kind of bonding.
It was Stan's. Stuff is pure evil if spilled.
Old 06-15-21, 02:32 PM
WhyFi

It was Stan's. Stuff is pure evil if spilled.
Ah, another feather in its cap - its performance (or lack thereof) also has a reputation for turning road cyclists off of tubeless altogether. Ish.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-15-21, 03:12 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10872 Post(s)
Liked 4,529 Times in 2,076 Posts
That reminds me, I need to order more orange seal.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 06-16-21, 08:59 AM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ah, another feather in its cap - its performance (or lack thereof) also has a reputation for turning road cyclists off of tubeless altogether. Ish.
Some remnants of it still remain on my garage floor. Never again. Ironic that a company dedicated to tubeless turned me away from it.
Likes For dmanthree:
Old 06-16-21, 09:51 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Yeah Stans has no place in road. I get so many customers that love it for mtb and I can't tell how much of that is just nostalgia or if it somehow actually performs in those applications but for road it just has never really worked. Yet at the distributors they blow through pallets of it as soon as it hits their warehouse.

Old 06-16-21, 10:12 AM
Dancing Skeleton

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
I gotta agree.
I tried Schwalbe Pro One's, and although I really liked the smoothness of the ride, I grew tired of cleaning sealant off my frame after most rides.
The tires got small holes on almost every ride, but sealed up right away. They just made a mess of my bike.
I hate to think of how difficult it would be if I had to put in a tube on the road.
I went back to tubes.
Next I'll try the Aerothan lightweight tubes.
No more road tubeless for me.
Likes For Dancing Skeleton:
Old 06-16-21, 10:22 AM
GBK233

Originally Posted by Dancing Skeleton
I gotta agree.
I tried Schwalbe Pro One's, and although I really liked the smoothness of the ride, I grew tired of cleaning sealant off my frame after most rides.
The tires got small holes on almost every ride, but sealed up right away. They just made a mess of my bike.
I hate to think of how difficult it would be if I had to put in a tube on the road.
I went back to tubes.

do you ride in crappy areas or did you find that the Schwalbes aren’t really that puncture resistant? The Aerothan tubes have piqued my interest as well
Old 06-16-21, 10:42 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

do you ride in crappy areas or did you find that the Schwalbes aren’t really that puncture resistant? The Aerothan tubes have piqued my interest as well
Inconsistencies with Schwalbe quality over the years has led me to never stocking, using or selling any of their tires. Ever. Everyone has problems with product...but I have only ever seen Schwalbe have the gross structural integrity problems I have seen from them.

Some people here love their tubeless product. I have always chalked that up to them being one of the first and having the longest amount of time for refinement. The other side of that coin though is that the higher quality tire companies stayed out of tubeless because they knew all of the problems that existed. They are now coming into the tubeless game and have much better product stemming from their long experience producing better quality tires.

In other words I see Schwalbe getting credit for being willing to be the kid who throws the cooking pot on their head and storms across the trenches into the face of overwhelming opposition while the rest of them stood back and watched and took notes.

YMMV - quite literally.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-16-21, 10:48 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3298 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 1,714 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Yeah Stans has no place in road. I get so many customers that love it for mtb and I can't tell how much of that is just nostalgia or if it somehow actually performs in those applications but for road it just has never really worked. Yet at the distributors they blow through pallets of it as soon as it hits their warehouse.
If not Stan's, what's a decent sealant for road use then?

My personal use would be inside a latex tube, something to keep me rolling on my more remote rides.

Old 06-16-21, 10:49 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by terrymorse
If not Stan's, what's a decent sealant for road use then?

My personal use would be inside a latex tube, something to keep me rolling on my more remote rides.
Orange Seal Endurance formula. We use it exclusively.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-16-21, 11:33 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Dancing Skeleton
I gotta agree.
I went back to tubes.
The original Pro One was notoriously fragile - your problem wasn't tubeless, so much as it was your tires.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.