Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Light Bicycle Wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Light Bicycle Wheels

Old 09-20-18, 11:24 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Light Bicycle Wheels

Decided I'd give another set of generic carbon rims a shot. I had the Yoeleo 38's last time around. They were nice but not spectacular, sold them for the same price I paid essentially. The hubs just never loosened up and seemed uber stiff. The wheels came true and nice, finishing was good not fantastic, but the appearance (silly I know), I wasn't a fan of.

Fast forward to Light Bicycle Wheels which along with Farsports seem to have a pretty good reputation. I opted to go through their North American resellers who bring in the rims and then lace them out of Abbotsford Canada, similar operation to how the guys at November got their start (FYI, every wheel set I've owned the last 5 years other than these and the Yoeleo's have been bought and built by November, I feel tremendous guilt for not using them!).

The appeal to me was that they use the Industry 9 hubs which I absolutely love. The shape is modern and to my liking, Matt UD finish other than the 3k brake track and no ghastly graphics. 45mm depth and tubeless compatible which is a must for me. The wheels came with Sapim spokes, tubeless tape, and valve installed. No brake pads or Skewers. Received within a week of order. Price was not as cheap as the yoeleo's or some of the other Chinese carbon set ups bought through a Chinese broker, but still a good price for the hub, rim, spoke combo. Came out to just a titch over $1k

Packaging was awesome, I mean perfect. Wheels spin beautifully and seem to be built well. I hope to install some tires and cassette today and ride on Saturday, will report back for anyone with interest.

Old 09-20-18, 11:28 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I've been looking a a similar set from LB, but mine will be disc brake compatible.

Please review these wheels after 3k miles.
Old 09-20-18, 11:36 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by noodle soup
I've been looking a a similar set from LB, but mine will be disc brake compatible.

Please review these wheels after 3k miles.
Lol, I will but 3k miles will take me 6 months!
Old 09-20-18, 11:42 AM
noodle soup

Originally Posted by robbyville
Lol, I will but 3k miles will take me 6 months!
That's fine.

I just hate when people review a wheelset after few hundred miles, and say they are "trouble free". Those reviews aren't worth the time it takes to left-click.

Last edited by noodle soup; 09-20-18 at 11:51 AM.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 09-20-18, 11:49 AM
robbyville

That's fine.

I just hate when people review a wheelset after few hundred miles, and say the are "trouble free". Those reviews aren't worth the time it takes to left-click.
Agreed!
Old 09-20-18, 11:57 AM
noodle soup

That's fine.

I just hate when people review a wheelset after few hundred miles, and say they are "trouble free". Those reviews aren't worth the time it takes to left-click.

Agreed!
Obviously if an issue occurs, please post about it ASAP.
Old 09-20-18, 12:25 PM
robbyville

Will you be going tubeless as well or regular clincher?
Old 09-20-18, 12:28 PM
noodle soup

Will you be going tubeless as well or regular clincher?
I would want the ability to run them either way, so I wouldn't be ordering hookless versions.

maybe these hoops

https://us.lightbicycle.com/shop/700...yclocross-rim/

or these

https://us.lightbicycle.com/shop/700...ss-carbon-rim/

Last edited by noodle soup; 09-21-18 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-20-18, 04:58 PM
robbyville

Both of those look great, what size tires do you run?

got mine all set up, stayed with my current Schwalbe One’s with new sealant. Tires went on easily and seated right away with a quick compressor hit.

I’m running 25mm and they seem to have a nice profile on the rim. Wheels came in at 1550 g including tubeless tape and valves

Last edited by robbyville; 09-21-18 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 10:29 AM
noodle soup

Both of those look great, what size tires do you run?

I usually run 25mm tires, but with these hoops I'll be able to use much larger ones if I want to do a little gravel riding.
Old 09-21-18, 10:34 AM
robbyville

I usually run 25mm tires, but with these hoops I'll be able to use much larger ones if I want to do a little gravel riding.
Nice!

When I was living in VA I would do a ton of gravel riding including Jeremiah Bishop's Alpine Loop Gran Fondo. That was the ride that sold me on tubeless since I could run lower pressures on the gravel climbs and worry less about traction loss (there were some areas where if you stopped you would have to walk the bike until finding a suitable place to remount due to steepness and gravel). Plus flat resistance of course, some areas of the ride were basically like rock gardens. I never went beyond 25mm though. Are the larger widths simply more comfortable or is it traction related as well?
Old 09-21-18, 10:53 AM
noodle soup

Are the larger widths simply more comfortable or is it traction related as well?
A little bit of both.
Old 09-21-18, 11:38 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
I guess that I could have scanned down the page a few more threads and I wouldn't have had to ask about the wheels in Hot or Not.
Old 09-21-18, 01:08 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I guess that I could have scanned down the page a few more threads and I wouldn't have had to ask about the wheels in Hot or Not.
Ha!...And I could have scanned down a few to see this before answering you on Hot r Not
Old 09-21-18, 04:53 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
As others have asked, feedback on those LB wheels as you continue to put mileage on them. You got my attention when you said the tires went on easily.
The Reynolds SLGs, even though they were clincher-tubeless ready was a headache when it came down to installing either clincher or tubeless tires. Even with the used Schwalbe One Evo clincher tires I had on the Archetypes, it was a mission getting those on. I decided to go tubeless, got the Schwalbe Pro One tires and they were just as difficult mounting the tires on. I almost wanted to sell the wheelset and go back to riding tubulars.
Old 09-21-18, 07:00 PM
robbyville

Originally Posted by primov8
As others have asked, feedback on those LB wheels as you continue to put mileage on them. You got my attention when you said the tires went on easily.
The Reynolds SLGs, even though they were clincher-tubeless ready was a headache when it came down to installing either clincher or tubeless tires. Even with the used Schwalbe One Evo clincher tires I had on the Archetypes, it was a mission getting those on. I decided to go tubeless, got the Schwalbe Pro One tires and they were just as difficult mounting the tires on. I almost wanted to sell the wheelset and go back to riding tubulars.
I hear you, have had the same challenges with multiple wheel sets and tire combos. I will say though that these new Schwalbe’s are really different and they went on my other wheels just as easily (although as mentioned no chance in heck of getting them seated without a compressor). Will let you know as well when I put my next set of tires on these as the current ones are probably half way through their lives!
Old 09-21-18, 07:18 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
It gets easier. I have Assault SLG Discs and I struggled with the first couple installs (REALLY struggled with removing a couple of sets of tires early on - damn near got to the point where I was going to cut them off in frustration). The last couple installs have been easy, though... like, so easy that I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Old 09-22-18, 10:24 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,644 Times in 6,053 Posts
I would want the ability to run them either way, so I wouldn't be ordering hookless versions.

maybe these hoops

https://us.lightbicycle.com/shop/700...yclocross-rim/

or these

https://us.lightbicycle.com/shop/700...ss-carbon-rim/
I've been wanting a wheelset like that. I have mid depth Enves, I'd like to have shallow carbon rims too. Honestly I'm not sure why, I guess it's really just aesthetics. It would be convenient to keep the widest tires I can clear on them. Have to say I like the logo.
Old 09-22-18, 10:43 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Yup. Couldn't agree more with you. The wife has Assaults and it was BRUTAL getting the tyres on. I don't know how many times I had take five and walk away. I eventually managed to the tyres on but how I did it (besides brute force) I'm not entire certain. I'm dreading the day when she flats and I need to change the tube.
Old 09-22-18, 11:01 AM
robbyville

Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Yup. Couldn't agree more with you. The wife has Assaults and it was BRUTAL getting the tyres on. I don't know how many times I had take five and walk away. I eventually managed to the tyres on but how I did it (besides brute force) I'm not entire certain. I'm dreading the day when she flats and I need to change the tube.
Have you tried any of the Schwalbe TL Easy newer tires yet? To be fair, I've read a ton of reviews on the Assault's and both your and Primov's comments come through in all of them, so it must be an issue, still I've had my share of challenges with other tubeless wheels and tire combo's but not since these new Schwalbe's, as easy as a regular tire.

Update, rode this morning, got a solid 30 miles in. Didn't break any new land speed records but hit some decent potholes in the morning darkness with no issues lol. The biggest surprise for me was that I didn't lose any air whatsoever since inflating on Thursday morning. With my current Easton's and pretty much all my prior tubeless wheels including the carbon Yoeleo's I'd lose about 5lbs per day. When I put my pump to them this morning they were still sitting at a tad over 80lbs which is exactly how I left them. Must be the combo of their rim tape and carbon sidewalls perhaps? Will see tomorrow and the next if any difference.

The hubs are fantastic, even though I've had them before I had forgotten how nice they sound (similar to Chris King's) and how smooth they seem to be. I know this is probably just mental and that basically hubs are hubs but when pedalling they certainly felt smoother than my White Industry's, who knows. The last 5 miles I rode solo since I had to boogey home to get ready for work, some pretty stiff head and cross winds. Took a couple for me to realize that I could feel when the gusts would move my front wheel a bit. No big deal, maybe a little more noticeable than my 28mm depth wheels but barely. As far as any noticeable road feel compliance wise, stiffness, etc. I couldn't say, even though I seem to go through a ton of wheelsets they all basically have the same "feel" to me when using same tires

Overall and so far I'll say they feel just wonderful and look darn cool. Braking is just fine, but remember I live in flat lands with no rain... On Wednesday I'll have some climbing and descending under my bibs. Will update the thread here and there should anything happen or once I get some real miles on them.
Old 02-18-19, 09:46 AM
noodle soup

Overall and so far I'll say they feel just wonderful and look darn cool. Braking is just fine, but remember I live in flat lands with no rain... On Wednesday I'll have some climbing and descending under my bibs. Will update the thread here and there should anything happen or once I get some real miles on them.
Any update since you've had time to put on some real miles?
Old 02-18-19, 05:48 PM
robbyville

Any update since you've had time to put on some real miles?
Probably nothing of real consequence. I always like the I9 hubs, they're beautiful, smooth and loud. The wheels have taken a couple good whacks including a mis-timed bunny hop onto a speed bump. Still nice and round/true. I ran the Schwalbe's down and put on some 24c Specialized Turbo's tubeless. They were nice but I wanted the wider ones just not in stock. I had about 1000 miles on them and was feeling guilty that my primary lbs in town was sitting on some Continental 5000 TLR's that he ordered on my behalf so I picked those up and swapped out the Specialized tires. They feel like they spin up and hold a bit faster than my Easton Alloy's but I imagine that's mostly weight related and mental disposition lol!

The 5000's were a bear to get on this rim but once I consigned myself to using tire levers I was fine. They seated beautifully though and seem to have a nice profile on these rims.

I don't have any regrets with these wheels, but part of me wish that the internal width was a little wider (I think they're 19mm) just so I could see what that would be like with tubeless tires. I think some wheels like Enve are way wider internally I just don't want to pay the price!

Short story long... These wheels are a-ok!
Old 02-18-19, 08:39 PM
noodle soup

I don't have any regrets with these wheels, but part of me wish that the internal width was a little wider (I think they're 19mm) just so I could see what that would be like with tubeless tires. I think some wheels like Enve are way wider internally I just don't want to pay the price!

Good to hear.

I think I'm going to order a set of the 46mm hoops, and build them up with DT240 hubs

https://www.lightbicycle.com/Road-bi...available.html

They'll be a couple of grams heavier than what you have, but a little bit wider as well(21mm internal vs 17.9mm)

Last edited by noodle soup; 02-18-19 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 12:45 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
anyone got experience with their "Grooved Graphene Surface"? looks like the Zipp Showstopper copy
Old 02-19-19, 08:07 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 413 Posts

LB has 46x28mm and 56x30mm if you'd like to get a wider set, 21mm and 23mm internal respectively. I have a set of 46's on order that should ship out next week.

Originally Posted by Chi_Z
anyone got experience with their "Grooved Graphene Surface"? looks like the Zipp Showstopper copy
A couple of other people have had positive reviews of the grooved graphene surface, I ordered it on my 46's. Plan to run them with swissstop black prince pads, and I do a fair amount of climbing around here (13-15k/week), so we'll see how they fair.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.