Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You might want to try this tire

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-21-21, 12:19 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I bought a set of Panaracer Gravelking SKs on my fixie/single speed to convert it to a psuedo gravel/road beater bike. I didn't know what to expect but these are fantastic tires on gravel and road. I cannot speak to longevity or puncture resistance as I haven't put many miles (maybe 50) but the grip of the compound is fantastic. Also the tread is made in such a way that I don't notice a slowdown on tarmac (and they are quiet). The SK has tread and I think it would be a great touring tire.

The Gravelking also comes in a slick version and from what I'm reading of the reviews online it may be a rival to my Continental Gatorskins.

Check them out, I'm quite impressed with the quality of these tires, and Panaracer as a brand.

Nobody paid me to write this, but Panaracer if you are listening...
Likes For Symox:
Old 02-21-21, 05:03 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 719 Times in 363 Posts
Hi

This is the road forum.

Our bikes might get dirty if we venture onto gravel.

Nope.
Old 02-21-21, 07:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,435 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
The Gravelking also comes in a slick version and from what I'm reading of the reviews online it may be a rival to my Continental Gatorskins.
Whoa, whoa, whoa - let's pump the brakes with this lofty praise.
Old 02-21-21, 08:24 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
Actually, the slick and compound tread GravelKings are one of the best tires for urban road riding if you want both puncture resistant and fast rolling tires.
There's GP5000s for that, all around tire which has a puncture protection layer which works well, rolls well and grip is good in all sorts of conditions.

If it's not good enough, I'd try that in tubeless, and if that wasn't good enough, either, I would try to move out of Mogadishu.
​​​​​​
I'm currently trying out Vittoria Corsa Speed tubeless tires which are slightly more on the "fast but impractical" side of the spectrum (still planning to use them for IM Barcelona if it happens and a few ultraendurance rides I have planned, but a bit fragile and wet grip isn't up to the task of all around all weather use - I got a bit of road rash today pushing them on the wet) , but Gatorskins and Gravelkings are excessive for road use.
​​​​​​
A puncture isn't the end of the world anyway, but I would be highly surprised that you would get them with any regularity at all using one of the top shelf "all around" road tires, especially if ran tubeless.
Likes For Branko D:
Old 02-21-21, 10:26 AM
WhyFi

I get way more flats from wires and small shards of glass that is virtually invisible when riding on the bike.
So, exactly the sort of thing that tubeless excels at preventing? Got it.
Old 02-21-21, 10:40 AM
czero8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Anybody tried the Goodyear Eagle?, How is it?, they say that its quite slippery.
Old 02-21-21, 10:53 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by czero8
Anybody tried the Goodyear Eagle?, How is it?, they say that its quite slippery.
The tubeless Eagle F1 hasn't fared very well in terms of rolling resistance (both real-world and drum testing) vs direct competition, so I took them off of my short list of tires to try. Too bad - I dig the brand/labeling and the tan sidewalls.
Old 02-21-21, 11:14 AM
WhyFi

I haven't got any punctures with puncture resistant tubed tires either.
Well, if a performance-oriented guy like yourself couldn't appreciate the difference between a top-tier tubeless and a puncture-resistant tire, no one would.

With the mixed opinions of our own members that have used tubeless especially those in a similar situation as I am, I'm not convinced it's worth the upgrade to tubeless yet.
There's mixed opinion among actual tubeless users that want high performance tires and who regularly got flats caused by small punctures? That's news to me.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-21-21, 12:15 PM
Walkerportis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
looks interesting
Old 02-21-21, 12:44 PM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 1,911 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Whoa, whoa, whoa - let's pump the brakes with this lofty praise.
He did say gator skinsso.....🤷
Old 02-21-21, 12:55 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 246 Posts
Nope, sorry. I've used both and they couldn't be more different. Panaracer GK slicks do ride wonderfully, but wear out very quickly. I was getting about 1000-1200 mile a tire (on 700 x 38's) until they were worn through. That's rotating front to back over 4 tires. That is with tubes, BTW.
I have a set of Gatorskin 700 x 28's that have been on a couple different wheelsets on a couple different bikes and they must have at least 4000 miles on them.
Also, the ride feel is night and day.
I would not buy the Gravel King slicks expecting them to be a long-wearing road tire. And do not expect them to have adequate puncture protection for roads with a lot od debris.
My 2 cents.
Likes For bargo68:
Old 02-21-21, 01:38 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 1,661 Times in 978 Posts
you could use concrete tires and get a more comfortable ride than Gatorskins

Old 02-21-21, 07:39 PM
WhyFi

Their main complaint concerns periodic sealant work
HTFU - if you're high-mileage, you're still spending less than 10 minutes on it every 4-6 weeks.

and fixing punctures out in the road that the sealant was unable to seal.

Some have converted back to tubed because of it.
Dollars to doughnuts, 50% of those people were using Stan's and 40% never tried tubeless themselves. But hey, if you want listen to people that don't know what they're doing rather than those that a) understand the cases in which it would be beneficial and b) how to properly get it done, have fun and enjoy riding horrible armored tires.
Old 02-21-21, 07:49 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Originally Posted by bargo68
Nope, sorry. I've used both and they couldn't be more different. Panaracer GK slicks do ride wonderfully, but wear out very quickly. I was getting about 1000-1200 mile a tire (on 700 x 38's) until they were worn through. That's rotating front to back over 4 tires. That is with tubes, BTW.
I have a set of Gatorskin 700 x 28's that have been on a couple different wheelsets on a couple different bikes and they must have at least 4000 miles on them.
Also, the ride feel is night and day.
I would not buy the Gravel King slicks expecting them to be a long-wearing road tire. And do not expect them to have adequate puncture protection for roads with a lot od debris.
My 2 cents.
Great insight, thanks! I've been amazed at the longevity of Gatorskins but had no idea they could last 4000 miles!

Too bad about the Panaracer's not lasting. I'll take that under consideration when it comes time to replace the Gatorskins - in a few years

BTW, Panaracer keeps releasing new versions of the GravelKing. I think some are specifically for more flat protection.
Old 02-21-21, 07:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6866 Post(s)
Liked 10,828 Times in 4,621 Posts
HTFU - if you're high-mileage, you're still spending less than 10 minutes on it every 4-6 weeks.

Dollars to doughnuts, 50% of those people were using Stan's and 40% never tried tubeless themselves. But hey, if you want listen to people that don't know what they're doing rather than those that a) understand the cases in which it would be beneficial and b) how to properly get it done, have fun and enjoy riding horrible armored tires.
This.

A lot of posters who've had bad experiences with tubeless (or who have refused to even try it) seem to not understand how to do it...Which is amazing, given the million webpages and blogs and videos with titles like "Tubeless Tire Tutorial."
Old 02-21-21, 07:52 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by Branko D
There's GP5000s for that, all around tire which has a puncture protection layer which works well, rolls well and grip is good in all sorts of conditions.

If it's not good enough, I'd try that in tubeless, and if that wasn't good enough, either, I would try to move out of Mogadishu.
​​​​​​
I'm currently trying out Vittoria Corsa Speed tubeless tires which are slightly more on the "fast but impractical" side of the spectrum (still planning to use them for IM Barcelona if it happens and a few ultraendurance rides I have planned, but a bit fragile and wet grip isn't up to the task of all around all weather use - I got a bit of road rash today pushing them on the wet) , but Gatorskins and Gravelkings are excessive for road use.
​​​​​​
A puncture isn't the end of the world anyway, but I would be highly surprised that you would get them with any regularity at all using one of the top shelf "all around" road tires, especially if ran tubeless.
I was under the impression that the GP5000 was a race tire. I do NOT race but can appreciate performance
If the price is right I may look into this
Old 02-21-21, 07:59 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by ls01
He did say gator skinsso.....🤷
Not picking on you but I don't understand the hate for Gatorskins on this board. I wonder if people have tried them at reduced pressures as it made a HUGE difference for the better in terms of ride quality for me.

I am not a racer but for weekend warrior riding I'm quite happy with 700x28 Gatorskins at about 70psi (I'm 150lbs). I'm sure there are better tires out there, but for training and just enjoying the weekend on non pristine roads I am very impressed with them for the money.

Flats aren't the end of the world, but given a choice I will pick puncture protection in a tire every time.
Old 02-21-21, 08:22 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
This.

A lot of posters who've had bad experiences with tubeless (or who have refused to even try it) seem to not understand how to do it...Which is amazing, given the million webpages and blogs and videos with titles like "Tubeless Tire Tutorial."
I blame Stans sealant for the majority of road tubeless issues...Everyone I know that has tried it in that application has had issues...I am primarily an MTBer so when I converted my road bike to tubeless, I went with Stans cause it is what I used on my MTB. It was absolute garbage at road pressures...I switched to Orange Seal and have had great luck since...In fact, I just built up a new set of tubeless wheels today with Orange Seal and GP5000TLs. It was as easy as setting up a MTB...
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 02-22-21, 01:47 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I was under the impression that the GP5000 was a race tire.
It is, but one with a puncture protection layer. Generally race tires without a puncture protection layer are marked or marketed as timetrial tires (examples; Continental Supersonic, Vittoria Corsa Speed, Schwalbe Pro One TT, Michelin Power TT), while road race tires (such as the GP5000, Schwalbe Pro One, Vittoria Corsa, etc) do have a puncture protection layer underneath the thread; this makes them a slight bit heavier and often the rolling resistance is slightly higher, but not by much while the puncture protection is much improved.

If you take one of those in tubeless, it's exceedingly unlikely to flat.
Old 02-22-21, 10:47 AM
czero8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The tubeless Eagle F1 hasn't fared very well in terms of rolling resistance (both real-world and drum testing) vs direct competition, so I took them off of my short list of tires to try. Too bad - I dig the brand/labeling and the tan sidewalls.
Goodyear probably baited car racing fans with this tire, shouldve stayed as a car racing tire I guess.
Old 02-22-21, 10:53 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by czero8
Goodyear probably baited car racing fans with this tire, shouldve stayed as a car racing tire I guess.
Uh, okay. The non-tubeless, regular clinchers are supposed to be pretty good, so I would simply suspect that their first effort in a high performance tubeless tire fell a short.
Old 02-22-21, 10:58 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 559 Posts
Panaracer Gravel King SK is a tire I bother stocking in house.
  • Great tire for mixed use. It is the most popular tire in this area.
  • Fabulous price to performance. Few can approach it on that level... for gravel.
  • The slick version is almost even better. Is used around here for road use and light mixed use on gravel bikes.
  • As a road use tire - no.
  • Longevity sucks. If you're putting on a lot of miles they don't last. Good thing they don't cost that much at all so no worries. This is also part of why they feel so good riding them. They're soft.
GP-5000
  • Still like a normal Continental - a bit like taking an SUV on to a race track.
  • Regardless of feel - it's still a top tier performance tire designed for road use.
  • It's a conti..... *shrug*
  • Have I mentioned it's a conti?
Goodyear
  • GTFO

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-22-21, 11:03 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 413 Posts
I was under the impression that the GP5000 was a race tire. I do NOT race but can appreciate performance
If the price is right I may look into this
I use them as my everyday tire, they wear well, handle and ride great, and I haven't had a puncture in almost two years (and my last flat was from a hole that didn't get called out on a fast group ride). I run clinchers with latex tubes tho, not tubeless. I run tubeless on the gravel bike so I can run low pressure offroad, love it. But for me personally, don't see the need for it on the road, if I had more punctures then definitely.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 02-22-21, 12:32 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Branko D
It is, but one with a puncture protection layer. Generally race tires without a puncture protection layer are marked or marketed as timetrial tires (examples; Continental Supersonic, Vittoria Corsa Speed, Schwalbe Pro One TT, Michelin Power TT), while road race tires (such as the GP5000, Schwalbe Pro One, Vittoria Corsa, etc) do have a puncture protection layer underneath the thread; this makes them a slight bit heavier and often the rolling resistance is slightly higher, but not by much while the puncture protection is much improved.

If you take one of those in tubeless, it's exceedingly unlikely to flat.
Maybe it is my luck with Schwalbe, but they have been the worst effing tires I have used of late. In the past 2 years, I have had 1 flat on my Turbo Cottons, 1 flat on my GP5ks, 0 flats on my Gravelking slicks, 2 tubeless flats on my RapidAirs (both sealed). In the meantime, I have had to toss 2 Pro Ones due to side wall cuts, and a third Pro One due to the casing getting damaged - all within less than 1000km of riding. So i decided to try the regular Ones (a little more puncture protection and tan side walls): 3 flats in 500km and they feel noticeably sluggish on the ride. They sealed each time, but this experience has put me off Schwalbe for a while now..

Back to the original post - the Gravelking SKs most definitely do NOT ride too well on the road. I got a pair and sold them after 2 rides, as they were noticeably slower on tarmac. The Gravelking slicks, on the other hand, are a fantastic all-road tire. After I use up the above-mentioned POS Schwalbe Ones, i am going to use them [icksEdit - Gravelking Slicks] as my training tire.

Last edited by guadzilla; 02-23-21 at 01:31 AM.
Likes For guadzilla:
Old 02-22-21, 12:43 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 1,304 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
Maybe it is my luck with Schwalbe, but they have been the worst effing tires I have used of late. In the past 2 years, I have had 1 flat on my Turbo Cottons, 1 flat on my GP5ks, 0 flats on my Gravelking slicks, 2 tubeless flats on my RapidAirs (both sealed). In the meantime, I have had to toss 2 Pro Ones due to side wall cuts, and a third Pro One due to the casing getting damaged - all within less than 1000km of riding. So i decided to try the regular Ones (a little more puncture protection and tan side walls): 3 flats in 500km and they feel noticeably sluggish on the ride. They sealed each time, but this experience has put me off Schwalbe for a while now..

Back to the original post - the Gravelking SKs most definitely do NOT ride too well on the road. I got a pair and sold them after 2 rides, as they were noticeably slower on tarmac. The Gravelking slicks, on the other hand, are a fantastic all-road tire. After I use up the above-mentioned POS Schwalbe Ones, i am going to use them as my training tire.
Schwalbe has worked its way into the "never" column for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.