Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used one of those cheap e-bay saddles?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-25-21, 12:04 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts

I'm wanting to try a different saddle, one with a full relief channel and a bit wider than I have now. Cruising through E-Bay I found a this cheap saddle and thought I would give it a try. I figured if I like it I could either keep it until it wears out or upgrade to a more reputable company that has a saddle with similar dimensions and design. For less than $30 I don't think I have anything to lose but has anyone tried one and had it assplode on them?
Old 03-25-21, 01:23 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I have one- bought used, that turned out to be a China copy.

Been riding it for years even 'tho my one-bolt seatpost requires major clamping torque on the carbon rails and the saddle is pushed way back. No problems.
Old 03-25-21, 02:55 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 413 Posts
Slightly different style, but $30 on Amazon, weighs 130g and fits me perfectly, I've done over 8 hours straight on it. I run the same saddle on both my gravel and road bikes with no issues, and a ton of hard miles.

I wouldn't trust knock off bars/stem, but if a seat breaks, it's not likely to cause me to lose teeth. lol

Old 03-25-21, 04:25 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Yes. I have three, one just like the above that weighs 149 grams. I also have two superlight, carbon only/no padding saddles that weight 98 and 107 grams respectively.. The one with padding is bearable, but all three are very, very stiff. The two without padding I had to stop riding after a couple of months because the lack of flexibility actually left me with built-up tissue/a callous on one sitbone. No issues with breaking or anything, though.

Contrast that to a 400 dollar Berk saddle I have that is the epitome of sublime cushiness and flexibility yet weighs only 91 grams.

So as a one-off/superlight build or something, I think they're fine. Trying to ride 10+ hours a week on them was a no-go for me. The lack of flexibility and the hard padding was tough to bear.
Old 03-25-21, 05:03 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Yes. I have three, one just like the above that weighs 149 grams. I also have two superlight, carbon only/no padding saddles that weight 98 and 107 grams respectively.. The one with padding is bearable, but all three are very, very stiff. The two without padding I had to stop riding after a couple of months because the lack of flexibility actually left me with built-up tissue/a callous on one sitbone. No issues with breaking or anything, though.

Contrast that to a 400 dollar Berk saddle I have that is the epitome of sublime cushiness and flexibility yet weighs only 91 grams.

So as a one-off/superlight build or something, I think they're fine. Trying to ride 10+ hours a week on them was a no-go for me. The lack of flexibility and the hard padding was tough to bear.
I love the unpadded versions for mountain biking, but they were a "no go" for road riding.
Old 03-25-21, 07:42 PM
MidTNBrad

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 & 1999 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Slightly different style, but $30 on Amazon, weighs 130g and fits me perfectly, I've done over 8 hours straight on it. I run the same saddle on both my gravel and road bikes with no issues, and a ton of hard miles.

I wouldn't trust knock off bars/stem, but if a seat breaks, it's not likely to cause me to lose teeth. lol

That's the form factor I'm looking for. Do you have a manufacturer / model number or anything else you could pass on to me?
Old 03-25-21, 07:47 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
But you might need to see a proctologist
Likes For GlennR:
Old 03-25-21, 07:49 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 732 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
That's the form factor I'm looking for. Do you have a manufacturer / model number or anything else you could pass on to me?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They raised the price to $45. Still better than $400.
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 03-26-21, 08:26 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by MidTNBrad
I'm wanting to try a different saddle, one with a full relief channel and a bit wider than I have now. Cruising through E-Bay I found a this cheap saddle and thought I would give it a try. I figured if I like it I could either keep it until it wears out or upgrade to a more reputable company that has a saddle with similar dimensions and design. For less than $30 I don't think I have anything to lose but has anyone tried one and had it assplode on them?
Your health if you end up crashing because of a cheap part.
Old 03-26-21, 08:39 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 205 Posts
I bought one of these in 2014, it's been on my main bike ever since;
https://www.amazon.com/Professional-...6769389&sr=8-5

I haven't pulled the trigger on getting it for all my bikes because I'm just worried that I got the good one in the batch. But the one I have fits me perfectly.
Likes For Leinster: