Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Best Rear Light for $25?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Best Rear Light for $25?

Old 06-04-14, 02:41 PM
blacksapphire08

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Electra Cruiser Custom 3i

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best Rear Light for $25?

I didnt see a "Best tail light thread for under..." so I figured id start a new thread to ask. Im interested in getting a tail light for my Trek for the purpose of riding on the road and trail. I know Cateye is a well regarded brand the Rapid 3 seems like a solid light for $25. Would you guys recommend this light or something better at this price point?
Old 06-04-14, 03:10 PM
Cazzzidy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My girlfriend has the Cateye Rapid 3 and it is a solid bright light at that price point.
Old 06-04-14, 03:13 PM
pavemen

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Flare 3 is super bright and was $22 or $25 at the LBS, if IIRC.
Old 06-04-14, 03:19 PM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Princeton Tec Swerve is very bright. The mounting system has worked very well for me. Swerve
Old 06-04-14, 03:28 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Rapid 3 is my fav. One on each seatstay. Only gripe is the short runtime on steady (be better if it was half as bright for twice as long).
Old 06-04-14, 05:12 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm sure there was exactly this thread recently. Anyway, what a lot of people said is that there is a HUGE jump in rear light performance from $25 to $35. There are a ton of very good lights in the $25 to $35 range. Unless you absolutely can't afford it, it's well worth spending another few bucks and get something like the Cygolite Hotshot, the PDW Danger Zone or Radbot, and several others, all < $35.
Old 06-04-14, 05:58 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1. Here's the last thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/electronic...-opinions.html
Old 06-04-14, 06:04 PM
golphinn

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Allegro Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Planet Bike Superflash Turbo. Bright day or night. $22 shipped from Ebay, very pleased so far. If you order, just make sure you get the updated version with the rubber button instead of the hard to press plastic button.
Old 06-05-14, 01:26 AM
NurseWizzle

Bikes: Electra Townie 21D - silver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A few bucks more, but I got this: Cygolite Hotshot

Last edited by NurseWizzle; 06-05-14 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Changed link
Old 06-05-14, 04:55 AM
blacksapphire08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NurseWizzle
A few bucks more, but I got this: Cygolite Hotshot
I like how that one can charged via USB but there are quite a few reviews on Amazon questioning its longevity. The only complaints ive seen about the Cateyes is that they're not very weather resistant? Not a huge deal to me since I ride in dry conditions (no fenders). There are almost too many choices lol.

If you had to pick between the PDW Dangerzone, Radbot 1000, Planet Bike Superflash, or a Cateye whats the best one? Or are they all equally good?
Old 06-05-14, 06:00 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've got a Hotshot, and it's definitely nice and durable, but I don't particularly like its extremely focussed beam. I'm thinking about getting a Danger Zone instead.

In the winter when I'm riding at night a lot, I use a Magicshine which is way brighter than any of these and runs off my headlight pack, for $30, but if you have to buy it with the battery pack it's not only huge but way outside the budget.
Old 06-05-14, 09:23 AM
Looigi

Rechargeable is good, but I like using AAAs. In flash mode on the Swerve I get 1000-1500 miles out of a set of AAAs before the light starts dimming. The light employs two so-called 1/2 Watt LEDs with lenses that produce a fairly narrow beam which is what makes it so bright. It needs to be aimed properly for max effectiveness which is the case with many of these taillights. Hanging off a loop on a backpack or seat bag won't usually cut it.
Old 06-05-14, 11:56 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If you get that much time out of a pair of AAAs, either the light isn't very bright, or you're running the thing until the LEDs are barely glowing.

There's no free lunch. Long run time comes at the expense of brightness. Period. I ride on 50 MPH 2 lane roads with no shoulders in all weather. I'm not willing to ride with a wimpy light in the dark in a heavy fog with people approaching me from behind at 55 MPH.
Old 06-05-14, 12:51 PM
Looigi

Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
If you get that much time out of a pair of AAAs, either the light isn't very bright, or you're running the thing until the LEDs are barely glowing...
I gave miles, not time. Time would depend on how fast I ride. Honestly, there is some percentage of that that is group rides where I didn't have it on....and I use Energizer Lithium Advance or Ultimate batteries...

Low duty cycle flashes can be just as bright as high duty flashes but consume proportionately less power. Also the beam width/pattern will trade off width for brightness. Anyway, IMO, the Swerve isn't the brightest, but it's better than the Planet Bike Superflash, and much better than the NiteRider Cherrybomb. I use it in daylight.

Last edited by Looigi; 06-05-14 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-05-14, 03:42 PM
blacksapphire08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stopped by my LBS after work and picked up a Cateye Rapid 3. They had others including the cygolight hotshot which was quite bright but it was very directional and hard to see from the side. If they come out with a version with side lights that would be awesome.
Old 06-05-14, 04:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,361 Times in 1,380 Posts
I also say get the Cygolite Hotshot, even though it's more. If you are riding with other rides who will be close behind you, you will want to put it on steady, because the flashing modes are too bright for eyes that are close.

In fact, I've decided not to put my lights on flash at all. It's weird for an American, but that's what I like.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-06-14, 08:07 AM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know you already bought a light, but for others reading along I recommend the Radbot 1000 in this price range.
Old 06-06-14, 09:07 AM
syncro87

Bikes: Raleigh Willard 2, Spec Sequoia Elite, State 4130 AllRoad, Catrike Expedition, Mercier Nano mini velo

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have a Planet Bike Superflash that I'm pretty happy with. Batteries seem to last a long time. I know this because I've accidentally left the thing on when I got back home from a ride more than once.

Oh, sorry, you already bought one. My bad.
Old 06-06-14, 01:13 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

For what it's worth, I've been using rechargeable batteries in my SuperFlash. They work well. I've stopped buying disposable AA's and AAA's. Whenever my disposable batteries run down, I replace them with rechargeables. I've gone through far too many disposable batteries in my life. It's time to stop using them. I still use disposable 9V batteries in my smoke detectors.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 06-06-14, 05:58 PM
mstraus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blacksapphire08
I like how that one can charged via USB but there are quite a few reviews on Amazon questioning its longevity. The only complaints ive seen about the Cateyes is that they're not very weather resistant? Not a huge deal to me since I ride in dry conditions (no fenders). There are almost too many choices lol.

If you had to pick between the PDW Dangerzone, Radbot 1000, Planet Bike Superflash, or a Cateye whats the best one? Or are they all equally good?
They are all good with their own pluses and minuses. In the end you will be fine with any of them. If you want to upgrade in the future there are some more expensive models with USB charging, better side visibility, etc. You can also use two lights, one with a focused beam and one with good side visibility. In this case consider running one on steady.
Old 06-07-14, 09:50 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Occasionally, I mount my Cygolite and my Planet Bike side by side. They blink differently, which might be an even better attention grabber than one flashing light. Sometimes I run the Cygolite on steady and the Planet Bike on flash. That's another unusual sight to see.

But usually, I just use the Cygolite on steady, all by itself.

Old 06-08-14, 07:51 AM
blacksapphire08

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright so I guess it's back to the drawing board since the strap already broke on my Cateye. The part that allows you to rotate it vertical or horizontally depending in how you mount it doesnt work and now the light just flops downword. Brilliant design by Cateye and I wont be buying anymore of their products.

So I need something that has a better mounting system, preferably one that you can mount to a rear rack. I cant find pictures of the mounts for most of these lights.
Old 06-08-14, 07:09 PM
Spld cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Planet Bike has a good rear rack mount: Taillight Rack Bracket They don't give you the metal part that typically connects the rack deck to the light/reflector, but the rack typically comes with one, you can buy one from them separately, get one off an old reflector, etc. Please note that the Portland Design Works mounts are identical to the PB ones, so you can mix and match.
Old 06-09-14, 11:24 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
For what it's worth, I've been using rechargeable batteries in my SuperFlash. They work well. I've stopped buying disposable AA's and AAA's. Whenever my disposable batteries run down, I replace them with rechargeables. I've gone through far too many disposable batteries in my life. It's time to stop using them. I still use disposable 9V batteries in my smoke detectors.
I think using rechargables is a good plan. When you're using disposables, there's a temptation to get all the life you can out of them and you may run until the light is dimmer than it really should be. With rechargables you just swap out every weekend and recharge the ones you took out, so the light should always be at maximum brightness.
Old 06-09-14, 02:20 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by golphinn
Planet Bike Superflash Turbo. Bright day or night. $22 shipped from Ebay, very pleased so far. If you order, just make sure you get the updated version with the rubber button instead of the hard to press plastic button.
They're good lights, but I prefer the Radbot 1000 for about the same price. I like its pattern better, and it doesn't need tape or a rubber band to keep from falling off the mount like the PBSF (and clones) do.

That said, I generally just get the PBSF clones for $5, and I run two of them so I have some redundancy.

The only reason I might want something even better would be to be even more obvious during the day -- but at night these things are more than enough for my needs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.