Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Blinkers

Old 07-23-21, 07:15 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 74 Posts
Blinkers

Blinkers

Likes For hotbike:
Old 07-23-21, 08:14 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Interesting. The only question is whether or not motorists pay attention to them.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 07-23-21, 08:16 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Interesting. The only question is whether or not motorists pay attention to them.
More lights may be needed. I have more lights on my helmet...
Old 07-23-21, 09:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If you have 10 feet of spacing horizontally they might be useful. However by the time a motorist at night gets close enough to you to differentiate and recognize what you are trying to tell them, the collision is either already in progress or they will miss you.

Perhaps in the cities where traffic is going somewhat slower, maybe.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-23-21, 09:45 AM
hotbike

Originally Posted by Iride01
If you have 10 feet of spacing horizontally they might be useful. However by the time a motorist at night gets close enough to you to differentiate and recognize what you are trying to tell them, the collision is either already in progress or they will miss you.

Perhaps in the cities where traffic is going somewhat slower, maybe.
Yes, I’m trying to maximize the horizontal distance between the left and right blinkers. 19.5 inches is about as wide as I can practically go. I’ll be using them in 4-way mode most of the time, and flashing the brake light...
There is a big difference between city streets and state highways, I agree. All I can do is watch my rear-view mirrors and be prepared to ditch.
Likes For hotbike:
Old 07-23-21, 01:58 PM
hotbike

22 gauge wire. Red is positive, black is negative (green is also negative) blue is right turn signal, yellow is left turn signal.

22 gauge wire. Red is positive, black is negative (green is also negative) blue is right turn signal, yellow is left turn signal.

Learning to solder. A hot solder iron should melt solder instantly, you shouldn’t have to rub the iron to create friction; get a new soldering iron...
Heat shrink tubing is much better than vinyl tape, but you must remember to slip it on before soldering.
Old 07-23-21, 05:47 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by hotbike
Learning to solder. A hot solder iron should melt solder instantly, you shouldn’t have to rub the iron to create friction; get a new soldering iron...
Make sure your soldering iron tip is clean and tinned. When it gets crusty dark gray stuff on it, it doesn't transfer heat very well. Some people I know put a brillo pad in an empty cat food tin and rub the soldering iron tip on it when needed.
Old 07-23-21, 07:02 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Make sure your soldering iron tip is clean and tinned. When it gets crusty dark gray stuff on it, it doesn't transfer heat very well. Some people I know put a brillo pad in an empty cat food tin and rub the soldering iron tip on it when needed.
That may be the case, but I’m thinking I’ll buy more iron tips ( the new iron has interchangeable tips) and replace them as they get fried.