Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Refurbing our Santana Arriva

Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Refurbing our Santana Arriva

Old 07-12-20, 09:52 AM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
I was soft-pedaling the refurb on our Santana for a bit, as she hadn't seemed all that interested in riding. Over the last couple of weeks, however, she's been getting back on her road bike, and seems to be getting into it.
So, I went ahead and got the wheels rebuilt, new tires, and lubed everything up. Our first ride in about 15 years on the tandem today.

I'll finish the refurb as I can afford it, but we felt pretty good on the bike, even after so long.

Old 09-23-21, 12:04 PM
themrbruceguy

Bikes: Early 70's Stella -> Gravel SS Conversion, 2019 Trek Stache SS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
Pulled the aging (gumwalls starting to get brittle) Panaracers and wrapped on some 37c Conti Contacts, at least for now.
I've been thinking about checking out a local Santana Arriva for me and my wife's first tandem (same color as yours!). I'd be really curious to know how well those 37mm wide Continental Contact tires fit on the Arriva? My wife and I are fairly avid gravel riders and would really appreciate a tandem that could take a 35mm wide (minimum) tire for gravel and crushed limestone rail trails.

A photo of the tire clearance at the rear chainstays would be SUPER helpful if you wouldn't mind?

There is also a local Santana Visa (light blue) and Sovereign (like a blue/purple) that my wife likes better due to the color. Does anyone know if the Visa and Sovereign would have identical clearance as the Arriva?

Thanks!
~ Jake
Old 09-26-21, 05:53 AM
foldup

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
looking at a late 1990's arriva.....

Originally Posted by themrbruceguy
I've been thinking about checking out a local Santana Arriva for me and my wife's first tandem (same color as yours!). I'd be really curious to know how well those 37mm wide Continental Contact tires fit on the Arriva? My wife and I are fairly avid gravel riders and would really appreciate a tandem that could take a 35mm wide (minimum) tire for gravel and crushed limestone rail trails.

A photo of the tire clearance at the rear chainstays would be SUPER helpful if you wouldn't mind?

There is also a local Santana Visa (light blue) and Sovereign (like a blue/purple) that my wife likes better due to the color. Does anyone know if the Visa and Sovereign would have identical clearance as the Arriva?

Thanks!
~ Jake
Wondering if you have any insights on tire width on a 1998 Arriva.
thanks!
Old 09-30-21, 09:17 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
The Contis kept blowing off the old rims, so when I had the wheels rebuilt, I bought a set of 35c RibMos from Panaracer. There was clearance enough for 37, but I have some pics of the current tires anyway. ...nothing like some close-up photos to realize how dirty a bike has gotten.

Originally Posted by themrbruceguy

Thanks!
~ Jake
Old 11-01-21, 06:17 PM
KarstenHW

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decent 1" threadless headset for tandem?

Hello All!
I am new here. We just bought our first tandem today (also a Santana Arriva) and it will also need some work. IT is good to have this forum and find others restoring an Arriva and sharing their experiences. As per strong recommendations by Santana, we will upgrade to a threadless 1" unicrown fork (the bike is probably a 1988) to replace the original investment cast crown fork. Won't be as pretty or elegant as the original but I have no idea of the past of this tandem. It is and looks like a used tandem. Better safe than falling on our faces one day. The 1" replacement can be still bought at Santana for $299. They even give a $50 rebate if you send in your original fork first. But.... now I need a threadless 1" headset. Chris King is surely great but is there an option strong enough for a road tandem that does not cost about half of what we paid for the whole tandem? Thanks!
Old 11-04-21, 12:17 PM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by KarstenHW
But.... now I need a threadless 1" headset. Chris King is surely great but is there an option strong enough for a road tandem that does not cost about half of what we paid for the whole tandem? Thanks!
My Cannondale RT1000 came with a Cane Creek 1 1/8" threadless headset that has done just fine for 25k miles. I replaced the bearings once, which is about a five minute task (after the first time ). It looks like they have a 1" threadless, which I'd imagine would also be up to the harder life a tandem would give it.

And welcome to the forum!
Old 11-07-21, 03:04 PM
KarstenHW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
My Cannondale RT1000 came with a Cane Creek 1 1/8" threadless headset that has done just fine for 25k miles. I replaced the bearings once, which is about a five minute task (after the first time ). It looks like they have a 1" threadless, which I'd imagine would also be up to the harder life a tandem would give it.

And welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the welcome and the answer.
I am indeed looking in to the Cane Creek headset. Don't want black but, oh well, that seems to be all they have for 1". We will live.
It seems headsets get a beating after 30 year in a tandem. The fork basically wanted to be facing straight after handle bar was off the bike. I looked for some mechanism inside the headset that would accomplish this "preset" or preference, but it appears to just be worn.
Old 11-16-21, 04:27 PM
pipeliner

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Hmmmm. So we aren't the only couple in the country with a purple Meridian...
Old 12-01-21, 07:21 PM
KarstenHW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Santana chrome replacement fork is not ISO standard

Thanks for the welcome and the answer.

I am indeed looking in to the Cane Creek headset. Don't want black but, oh well, that seems to be all they have for 1". We will live.

I am just adding to my own comment: I ordered the 1", 700c chrome replacement fork from Santana and it arrived quickly. I decided to not send the original fork all the way across the country just for them to throw it in the scrap metal pile, so .. no discount. Would have been about $25 considering the shipping of the old fork on my end.

More relevant to know is that the base of the steerer tube of the new fork is milled to 27.1mm diameter (Japanese Industry Standard?) and that will not work with 1" threadless headsets manufactured to ISO standards. All threadless 1" headsets I can find are ISO and use crown races that have a inner diameter of 26.4mm. This is not a very big problem as this can be remidied by a well-equipped bike shop but It would have saved me lots of time had I known this and some additional expense if the fork was made to ISO standards to begin with. I emailed Santana and maybe they will change this or at least will be able to better inform those who purchase their 1" replacement fork. It is pretty cool that they offer parts support for a tandem they manufactured 30 years ago.
Old 12-02-21, 04:59 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2475 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
It is pretty cool that they offer parts support for a tandem they manufactured 30 years ago.
Is it though? I seriously think you should send that fork back to Santana, at their expense. This is your first tandem? I'm sorry, but with all due respect, you don't need to be putting a brand new fork (and headset) on a 33 year old tandem. Why did they feel you needed a new fork? You do not. More accurately, if the original fork is so compromised that a new one is 'strongly recommended' then another tandem would be the way to go. Obviously, water under the bridge. So, IMO it wouldn't be the thing to throw good money after good enough. It's none of my business what you paid for the tandem, but for a first rig, the process should be easier, I think, on the hardware side. You will have plenty enough acquiring the nuances of riding twogether. Even if you have already cut your teeth on borrowed bikes or rentals, still ... $500 - $600 will get you a mid-90's Burley Samba in excellent condition, that will absolutely be enough tandem for a team of any experience level.
Old 12-03-21, 02:09 PM
KarstenHW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Is it though? I seriously think you should send that fork back to Santana, at their expense. This is your first tandem? I'm sorry, but with all due respect, you don't need to be putting a brand new fork (and headset) on a 33 year old tandem. Why did they feel you needed a new fork? You do not. More accurately, if the original fork is so compromised that a new one is 'strongly recommended' then another tandem would be the way to go. Obviously, water under the bridge. So, IMO it wouldn't be the thing to throw good money after good enough. It's none of my business what you paid for the tandem, but for a first rig, the process should be easier, I think, on the hardware side. You will have plenty enough acquiring the nuances of riding twogether. Even if you have already cut your teeth on borrowed bikes or rentals, still ... $500 - $600 will get you a mid-90's Burley Samba in excellent condition, that will absolutely be enough tandem for a team of any experience level.
To me, spending countless hours restoring an old bicycle/tandem/object is a passionate and rarely a purely rational (or even financially wise) undertaking. On the other hand, instead of hoping for the best regarding safety, erring on the safe side is the reasonable approach. In particular when it directly involves another person I care about.