Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Action camera features and suggestions

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 01-28-22, 07:58 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts

I'm looking to get an action camera (such as GoPro) for biking and would appreciate some input. I assume stabilization is a given (let me know if I'm wrong) but I'm interested in learning what other features are important for biking. Are cameras better located on a helmet, handlebar, or someplace else? Finally, are there products and accessories I should focus on or avoid?
Thanks.
Old 01-28-22, 09:40 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
oh boy

what I like about mine
  • waterproof
  • seemingly indestructible
  • replaceable lens covers
  • creates .mov files (native for MACs)
  • easy to start stop
  • has burst or time lapse still modes
  • has auto -rotate, so that when I use them upside down the video file is already inverted to be right side up
  • small
  • lightweight
  • cylindrical plane fuselage shaped
  • has quick release mounts so I can use the same camera in multiple places while I ride
  • not expensive
  • can find used units on the internet so I have backups

what I don't like about mine
  • no image stabilization
  • sometimes I want a flat square shape for diff. mounting options
other aspects to the camera
  • takes a never ending video clip unless I stop it & restart it. which is easy to do. so as I ride I start it, then stop it, then start it & stop it. I make these choices depending on what is happening, or not happening. if I see a highlight coming up, I'll start it then stop it soon after passing the highlight
other considerations
  • what are you going to do with the video?
  • how will you be viewing it?
  • how will you be editing it? (if at all)
  • how long do you want it to run or stay alive at what temperature? on my last ride due to the cold I was on my 3rd camera before the end of the ride cuz the 1st 2 died from the cold. (big fan of redundancy for example 3 lites so if 1 dies I still have 2)
consider what you want to get out of the camera. what is important to you? what have you seen that you you like a lot & want to emulate?

I won't share what mine is cuz I want all the used ones to myself ;-) & they are old technology anyway. the new gopros have amazing image stabilization. good luck w/ your quest!
Old 01-28-22, 02:46 PM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P.
I'm looking to get an action camera (such as GoPro) for biking and would appreciate some input.
What is your goal with such a camera?

Are you looking to have a record in case of a crash or close call? Looking to record mtb riding action? Something else?

That info may help you to identify what features are best applicable to your needs.
Old 01-28-22, 03:06 PM
Tony P.

Thanks for asking. I no longer ride on roads after a wrong way driver forced me off the road and I ended up in the hospital so having a recording in case of a crash or close call is a large part of it. I may also use it in my SUV. Beyond that, now I ride trails and would like it for overall safety. My rides are typically 2+ hours so I don't expect to share anything.

Last edited by Tony P.; 01-28-22 at 03:22 PM.
Likes For Tony P.:
Old 01-28-22, 08:57 PM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
The “easy button” would likely be finding a used prior model GoPro, choice depending on your budget. FB marketplace, eBay, or ,Abe the company sells factory refurbs.

I can’t offer any more specifics as I’ve not paid attention to the action cams.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 01-30-22, 01:49 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
After about a year of owning two budget cameras, I would be looking for these requirements.

Long lasting battery in temperatures from -10C to 55C at a video resolution that can read licence plates.

Spare batteries and a separate battery charger.

Date and timestamp remain as you change batteries.

Each time you start a new ride, check that the camera's timestamp is correct.

Will the manufacture honour its warranty regardless if you purchased it directly or from a third party like Amazon?

The following don't exist yet but you might as well ask in case there are good solutions.

Good internal microphone that can pick up a conversation 10ft away while in its waterproof case.

Audio recording that stays in synch with the video recording.

Waterproof case that gives you access to the micro usb ports.
Old 01-31-22, 12:48 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
The “easy button” would likely be finding a used prior model GoPro
I often consider this option for converting over to that brand. meaning, just get one that I can afford & see what I can do w/ it. knowing full well, it won't be a one-&-done, kind of switch
Old 02-13-22, 04:55 PM
Tony P.

Thanks to those who commented. I ended up with the Campark V30 based in part on reviews which were uniformly positive. With all the features I looked for at under $70 it more than fit the bill for me. The camera comes with a stabilizer which was necessary for recording on trails. 4K, 2K, and 1080 results were all very good, certainly excellent for my needs. In addition, the camera has a loop recording function which was a plus for me. Finally, the camera comes with several accessories including a waterproof case which I liked, not because I'll be using it underwater but for added protection from damage.
Old 02-13-22, 05:35 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1477 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony P.
Thanks to those who commented. I ended up with the Campark V30 based in part on reviews which were uniformly positive. With all the features I looked for at under $70 it more than fit the bill for me. The camera comes with a stabilizer which was necessary for recording on trails. 4K, 2K, and 1080 results were all very good, certainly excellent for my needs. In addition, the camera has a loop recording function which was a plus for me. Finally, the camera comes with several accessories including a waterproof case which I liked, not because I'll be using it underwater but for added protection from damage.
I have the same camera.
I'd like to ask a few things:
1) are the batteries very tight in the compartment or do they slip in and out without any issue? Mine is a very tight fit. The pullout tab on one battery got pulled off.
2) Did you buy directly from the Campark website or through a third party like Amazon? I purchased directly. After about ten months, still within its one year warranty, I had a problem and contacted Campark. They said the warranty dies not apply because I had purchased direct instead of through Amazon. Strange. You'd think purchasing direct would have a better warranty terms. Also strange is the the problem I had with the camera seem to have disappeared.

Congratulations. It's a very good camera. I had also purchased three spare batteries from Amazon to record up to 8 hours of riding.

Last edited by Daniel4; 02-13-22 at 05:39 PM.
Likes For Daniel4:
Old 02-13-22, 06:29 PM
Tony P.

Daniel4, the batteries are as I'd expect; they aren't difficult to put in or take out. I bought it from Campark but via eBay. I haven't used it yet but am considering a second set of batteries because my rides are usually 3+ hours.