Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

How common is 300w for an hour?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

How common is 300w for an hour?

Old 12-20-21, 12:41 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
But I've never seen such numbers, times, etc. No 2000w jumps, no 1500w sustained. But riders can do that..
Most trainers can't handle those peak power numbers.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 12-20-21, 12:29 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
If nslckevin gets slammed on Zwift racing, I am dead on arrival. My power profile is steep. I was a 400 meter runner and sold sprinter. My 20 minute power is okay but not great. I have a great standing start at the track but but but, the first couple of pedal strokes, where I generate a lot of torque, are NOT, IMO, properly captured by a traditional power meter. And probably not that valuable in Zwift mass start racing. I would need an SRM scientific or track PM to capture the faster transient, higher power which is true for others as well. And what does Zwift do with accurate transient power even if you send it to them? Smooth or average it out?

I have spent the last 10 years of racing working on generating more speed from the same amount of power. Hence, my cost of speed curve for a particular power required is low. That work is rendered meaningless on Zwift. And I have very good skills hiding in a pack and minimizing energy use. Again, not valued by Zwift.

And I am unwilling to cheat - not valued by Zwift.

Hence…DOA.

In fairness, I am DOA in some real world situations and I accept that as well but try to pick my events where I have a competitive advantage.
Old 12-20-21, 02:09 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I have a great standing start at the track but but but, the first couple of pedal strokes, where I generate a lot of torque, are NOT, IMO, properly captured by a traditional power meter.
Pushing against a wall will make you tired but you technically are doing no work. So at the very start you are exercising (applying force) but your power meter is correctly measuring that you are doing no work.

W=Fd
Old 12-20-21, 05:49 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Speaking of virtual, tried Rouvy today. I liked the "feel" of the ride and the non cheating loner nature. Also the real views. Downer, I have a ticket in already. They advertise being able to filter searches by "has video" or look at a map to see routes. Not seeing that in my app. If my app that runs on my Mac won't do that, that's dead on arrival.

I ain't randomly guessing at names to type into their thing for routes. There's some good stuff pre selected in some of their categories, but I wanted this to find videos of some other stuff.

So this might be DOA if the service ticket response is "only the PC version does that". As that's junk to have to search for routes how this version of the app is going.

Only other way is maybe I would go after work one day in the car and drive with video/gps of my top 3 TT courses in my area so I can practice ride them indoors. I mean, pacing a flat TT is super easy, but still.

We'll see.
Old 12-21-21, 07:54 AM
brian44

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I mean, I didn't look into that.......but if he rides as much as he lets on from the video blog stuff that should be a foregone conclusion that he could without issue.

If I've done a 40k in aero at 265w and am pretty good at riding in TT in aero, I'm down maybe 10w versus road position. I just ride that much in aero. So 275w for road. Confirmed by an indoor Alpe climb at about that on the road bike. My 40k is faster than 60min, but close enough. I hope to get that to maybe 275w this year in aero for that same duration.

We'll see. I'm also working on more aero gains, so there's that also. As power matters as long as it isn't wasted on a bad riding position, equipment, or excess weight, or bad strategy.
FWIW he used ERG mode...I *feel* like actually gauging one's own effort will obviously lead to more variability in power application and potential wasted effort (i.e., many 300+ watt power spikes).
Old 12-21-21, 08:29 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 3,080 Times in 1,631 Posts
Personally I hate erg mode... I routinely do interval workouts in "Free ride" mode, shifting with the terrain like I would in real life and tracking the efforts on my garmin.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 12-21-21, 10:32 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
^ Concur
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 12-21-21, 02:22 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
If nslckevin gets slammed on Zwift racing, I am dead on arrival. My power profile is steep. I was a 400 meter runner and sold sprinter. My 20 minute power is okay but not great. I have a great standing start at the track but but but, the first couple of pedal strokes, where I generate a lot of torque, are NOT, IMO, properly captured by a traditional power meter. And probably not that valuable in Zwift mass start racing. I would need an SRM scientific or track PM to capture the faster transient, higher power which is true for others as well. And what does Zwift do with accurate transient power even if you send it to them? Smooth or average it out?

I have spent the last 10 years of racing working on generating more speed from the same amount of power. Hence, my cost of speed curve for a particular power required is low. That work is rendered meaningless on Zwift. And I have very good skills hiding in a pack and minimizing energy use. Again, not valued by Zwift.

And I am unwilling to cheat - not valued by Zwift.

Hence…DOA.

In fairness, I am DOA in some real world situations and I accept that as well but try to pick my events where I have a competitive advantage.
You might be surprised. I race on Zwift with a teammate who has tons more outdoor experience than me. I'm ~10 kg heavier than him and have a higher 1 min and 20 min W/kg (similar 15s and lower 5 min W/kg) - higher in raw W in all categories due to my weight. There are a few specific circumstances when I can beat him - in a race with a lot of sandbaggers and a long, flat start (where I can use my raw W to keep up with the baggers' group after he gets dropped) or one that has a 15 min+ climb (like Epic KoM or Innsbruck KoM) or is specifically Innsbruckring where I can use my superior 1 min power on the legsnapper to get into a group he can't if that group exists - but otherwise he beats me at least 3 times out of 4 (probably more) and usually does so while coming in 0.2 W/kg less than me (we're both usually lower than everyone around us but he's lower than me even though I weigh more than him, not the other way around). And usually pips me on the primes. He's better able to read the group to know which moves to cover, better able to sit in the draft without working or getting stuck in the churn of front to back, front to back, better about positioning before primes so he can surf through the pack to pick up FTS points and still do decently at FAL (while I frequently find myself on the front shortly before the start of a segment and have to choose between losing momentum to drift back or just hammering it while eating wind for FAL points and forgetting about FTS). They aren't exactly the same skills as what you have spent a lifetime honing outdoors, but efficient riding is efficient riding and can often beat out someone who is trying to win via brute force (at least when it's coupled with crappy racing like I do it).
Likes For himespau:
Old 12-22-21, 10:38 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
himespau Thanks for the detailed response and your experience.
Old 03-31-22, 09:13 PM
himespau 

Whelp, my teammates didn't show (I knew they weren't going to) for the WTRL TTT tonight, so I decided to ride it like an iTT, and see how long I could stay out in front of the teams starting behind me (not long). 53:30 at 315 W and my Zwiftpower FTP is 314 W, so I guess it's closer than I'd expected. I was seriously tempted to try to push on for 6.5 more minutes just so I could come back here and report that, yes, this fat N of 1 could really hold 300 W for an hour, but I was just done after that long solo. Instead my hour is only 290 because of the last 6.5 minutes at ~100 W. OF course this is all on Zwift, so it's all pretend. Power at my smart trainer hub, but the trainer was only set at ~25% difficulty.
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-01-22, 02:26 AM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Whelp, my teammates didn't show (I knew they weren't going to) for the WTRL TTT tonight, so I decided to ride it like an iTT, and see how long I could stay out in front of the teams starting behind me (not long). 53:30 at 315 W and my Zwiftpower FTP is 314 W, so I guess it's closer than I'd expected. I was seriously tempted to try to push on for 6.5 more minutes just so I could come back here and report that, yes, this fat N of 1 could really hold 300 W for an hour, but I was just done after that long solo. Instead my hour is only 290 because of the last 6.5 minutes at ~100 W. OF course this is all on Zwift, so it's all pretend. Power at my smart trainer hub, but the trainer was only set at ~25% difficulty.
Just for context what's your weight?
Old 04-01-22, 05:16 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by SapInMyBlood
Just for context what's your weight?
Aw, don't rain on my parade like that. 318 for 53 minutes (or 329 for 20) is a whole lot less impressive when you see that I've ballooned to 105 kg.
Old 04-01-22, 05:23 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Aw, don't rain on my parade like that. 318 for 53 minutes (or 329 for 20) is a whole lot less impressive when you see that I've ballooned to 105 kg.
318 watts for 54 minutes should get your 105 Kg mass thru 40 km. Stick the same W/kg onto a 70 kg rider and they will need well over an hour IRL.
Old 04-01-22, 06:37 AM
himespau 

Yeah, I think the whole reason I popped into this thread was to say that weight plays a big role in whether or not 300 W means much (in my case, it just means 3 W/kg). Momentum (and downhills) is really the only nice thing about being as big as I am. Gotta get my back and knee back into shape and then lose this weight to get back to race weight again (hopefully without losing too much power).
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-01-22, 08:30 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I have nothing on this front yet, maybe by year's end.

Right now am doing a 290w Zwift ftp for some workouts and a 295w for others in my "rotation". I'm floating between 158 lbs and 161 lbs.

I did the Rouvy Mt. Mitchell climb and strung together about 2:05 or so of 260w AP. That was very painful but "easy" in that it's almost like ERG mode since the climb is so steady and not a high gradient. So no real surges to steal your power production over that time.

I'm pretty sure right now I could do around 40min at 300w if I wanted to. But 40 isn't 60.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-01-22, 08:46 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I have nothing on this front yet, maybe by year's end.

Right now am doing a 290w Zwift ftp for some workouts and a 295w for others in my "rotation". I'm floating between 158 lbs and 161 lbs.

I did the Rouvy Mt. Mitchell climb and strung together about 2:05 or so of 260w AP. That was very painful but "easy" in that it's almost like ERG mode since the climb is so steady and not a high gradient. So no real surges to steal your power production over that time.

I'm pretty sure right now I could do around 40min at 300w if I wanted to. But 40 isn't 60.
Since you are very aero, what is your 40k TT best?

I'm thinking of doing one this year. Would be nice to go under an hour at my age. 58-59 mins usually wins Grand Masters in my District. I would have to do a lot of field testing to get my CdA down.....or go out to those fast high desert courses in Ca or Az
Old 04-01-22, 11:18 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

26.5 mph last year. If I hit power/aero goals this year maybe around 27.3mph or so.

For a 10'er I'm trying to hit 28mph. Out and back, u-turn included.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-03-22, 07:43 PM
nslckevin

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Yeah, I think the whole reason I popped into this thread was to say that weight plays a big role in whether or not 300 W means much (in my case, it just means 3 W/kg). Momentum (and downhills) is really the only nice thing about being as big as I am. Gotta get my back and knee back into shape and then lose this weight to get back to race weight again (hopefully without losing too much power).
In real life performance it makes a huge difference if you’re 100kg and lean vs. 100kg w/ 20kg of excess fat.

That said…. To me, 300w for an hour at 100kg w/ 20kg of fat is much better than the same power for the lean 100kg guy. Internally I always think of my w/kg in terms of race weight. If I gain 5-10 lbs in the winter and I’m putting out good raw watts I don’t care that the w/kg number of lower than it could/should be. I know by the POWER that my fitness is good. The w/kg number is more important when it comes to going uphill of course, but if I’ve got the power in my legs I can lose a few lbs. and then go uphill fast.
Old 04-04-22, 06:44 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by nslckevin
In real life performance it makes a huge difference if you’re 100kg and lean vs. 100kg w/ 20kg of excess fat.

That said…. To me, 300w for an hour at 100kg w/ 20kg of fat is much better than the same power for the lean 100kg guy. Internally I always think of my w/kg in terms of race weight. If I gain 5-10 lbs in the winter and I’m putting out good raw watts I don’t care that the w/kg number of lower than it could/should be. I know by the POWER that my fitness is good. The w/kg number is more important when it comes to going uphill of course, but if I’ve got the power in my legs I can lose a few lbs. and then go uphill fast.
It would be worth it for you to head over to the road or training forum on here to find the topic "why does 240w not always equal 240w" where a guy was lamenting how much power it was to go around a pan flat nicely paved bike track loop at 22mph.

It boiled down to the person probably being larger and more of a parachute. Larger is more CdA and more cost from rolling resistance. Larger riders punch bigger holes for smaller riders to rest behind. Smaller riders punch smaller holes that if a larger rider is following one, it can be less of a rest than desired.

Even in the flats there's a quite tangible penalty to larger riders. Accelerations in the flats cost larger riders more than smaller riders also.

Unless someone is pretty good at bikes, like a Cat 3 or faster, I doubt they can drop pounds AND hold power at the same time on command. I don't find that realistic for a hobbyist cat 3/4/5. I find it more realistic they stay within 5 pounds of whatever discipline weight they want to target.

All that to say, a 300w hour ftp on a 100kg rider isn't remotely the same even on flatter terrain as a 300w hour ftp on a 70kg rider. I don't race with pros that are combos of 60kg Colombians and 75 to 80kg Gannas. So the power delta on the flats doesn't ever seem to play out that way.
Old 04-04-22, 08:26 AM
nslckevin

It would be worth it for you to head over to the road or training forum on here to find the topic "why does 240w not always equal 240w" where a guy was lamenting how much power it was to go around a pan flat nicely paved bike track loop at 22mph.

It boiled down to the person probably being larger and more of a parachute. Larger is more CdA and more cost from rolling resistance. Larger riders punch bigger holes for smaller riders to rest behind. Smaller riders punch smaller holes that if a larger rider is following one, it can be less of a rest than desired.

Even in the flats there's a quite tangible penalty to larger riders. Accelerations in the flats cost larger riders more than smaller riders also.

Unless someone is pretty good at bikes, like a Cat 3 or faster, I doubt they can drop pounds AND hold power at the same time on command. I don't find that realistic for a hobbyist cat 3/4/5. I find it more realistic they stay within 5 pounds of whatever discipline weight they want to target.

All that to say, a 300w hour ftp on a 100kg rider isn't remotely the same even on flatter terrain as a 300w hour ftp on a 70kg rider. I don't race with pros that are combos of 60kg Colombians and 75 to 80kg Gannas. So the power delta on the flats doesn't ever seem to play out that way.
So, I was telling a guy who is overweight that he should feel pretty good about his power output because his power number wasn’t bad and if he lost the weight he’d be even better. And you said a bunch of mostly unrelated stuff. Are you suggesting that the 100kg guy w/ 20kg of fat is going to put out LESS power after training and dieting enough to lose that 20kg? Are you thinking that this rider is already at his peak FTP? Because that’s what I was talking about. I was pointing out that his engine seems pretty good, he just needs to lighten up the chassis. That is not remotely the same thing as a big lean guy (say Gianna) trying to lose 10kg to be a GC rider.

What I was trying to point out is that the overweight 100kg guy should think of himself and his possibilities like he was at his race weight. So if he’s doing 300w for an hour (3.0 w/kg) he should consider that by losing the weight he turns into a 3.75 w/kg guy for an hour basically for free. None of that helps him at his current 100kg, but there is more engine inside than current performance would indicate.

I take your point about my fat 100kg rider pushing a bit more wind, but I promise you if that rider lost the 20kg and kept the same level of fitness that the thing he raves about isn’t going to be that he goes 1 mph faster on the flats because he’s smaller. He’s going to rave about how much easier it is to climb.
Old 04-04-22, 08:37 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I think there are other benefits to being smaller as well, like accelerations and possibly recovery from going into the red. It kinda makes sense that the less excess blood there is to circulate, the faster you might clear lactate. VO2 max goes up also for this reason as you lose weight. I'm not a doctor or a physiologist, just sorta what I've thought.

My power stayed the same from 2018 into 2019 but I lost 10 lbs going from 155 to 145 and it made me waaaaay faster. OK I might have gained like 5 or so watts on FTP as well, but not 10.

I attribute this to my ability to rapidly upgrade from 3 to 2 in 2019 in breakaway situations. Again my power was the same but I was light, snappy and recovered very quickly.
Old 04-04-22, 08:57 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

It was someone earlier in this topic that mentioned the muscle mass tied up in the existing heavier weight being lost if someone drops mass too quickly. As I had this same question about a larger rider making power as you do now.

I just think the time scale isn't as quick as losing a few winter pounds if you want to hold the power.

This is all my guess about this.......

If I had to guess, the larger rider at 300w ftp has lots of not-very-dense mitochondria. Because they have a lot of muscle mass, from being larger. When you lose a lot of weight, you also will lose some muscle mass. So you just lost some mitochondria also. A smaller rider making the same power has a much denser set of mitochondria, through the training.

So, if the larger rider loses mass too quickly, they can't do the requisite training fast enough to make the mitochondria more dense to make up for the gross overall loss of mitochondria through the loss of muscle mass.

If you go over to Slowtwitch and dig around the search function for some topics on weight/bike power/running pace you'll inevitably find people that lost lots of weight quickly that came to complain about disappointment with bike power or run pace. Sometimes they got into running injuries.

It can be done, it's just a slow process. And like I said, if done right to keep the power likely just as slow as a rider gaining 20w in ftp in a year as a lighter rider.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-04-22, 10:10 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
26.5 mph last year. If I hit power/aero goals this year maybe around 27.3mph or so.

For a 10'er I'm trying to hit 28mph. Out and back, u-turn included.
I have extreme aero jealousy.
Old 04-10-22, 09:42 PM
nslckevin

You guys keep talking like our 100 kg with 20kg of fat guy example is at peak fitness or something. The training (along with dieting) that he does to lose that weight is going to more than make of for any loss of muscle mass unless he’s doing something really stupid with his diet.

Example. I went through a fat phase while injured and having other interests in the early 2000’s. I went from 195 down to 160. And guess what. I was a **** of a lot more fit and went uphill and on the flats a hell of a lot faster than when I was 195. FYI, I got underwater weighed at the start and along the way. I did lose some muscle mass along the way. I upped my protein to help combat that issue, but in the end I was riding well and winning races again. A few years later I dropped another 8 pounds or so, kept the same watts and went uphill a lot faster. I figured that 8 pounds was worth about 10 watts on the climb on one of our local road races. (University RR at UC Santa Cruz)

Again, the guy I was replying to in my original reply was a heavy guy who by his post needed to lose weight and regain fitness. A perfect example of someone who should be ENCOURAGED by his potential race weight w/kg because he’s going to gain fitness as he loses the weight. Again, not and already fit and lean Ganna trying to lose 10-15kg to take on Pogacar for GC.
Likes For nslckevin:
Old 04-11-22, 06:40 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

nslckevin the circuit that goes up to McLaughlin and back? Killer race, did it a couple times in collegiate (WCCC) between 2006 and 2009.
Likes For TMonk:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.