Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Gas Tax Reductions in Canada

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-06, 09:24 AM
Riderfan_lee
Year-round cyclist

Bikes: Oryx Equipe 50, Gary Fisher Cobia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just thought I would post this. Propping up the economy and its dependency on oil is not a good solution to rising gas prices. Why not take the lost income from the reduction in tax and put it towards programs that work towards reducing consumption of oil. Bah!

https://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...kay060419.html
Old 04-19-06, 09:29 AM
ignominious
pointless & uncalled for

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We should find a way to link petrol tax to the pay of MPs and senior civil servant. Bet there would be no tax breaks then.
Old 04-19-06, 09:50 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Riderfan_lee
Just thought I would post this. Propping up the economy and its dependency on oil is not a good solution to rising gas prices. Why not take the lost income from the reduction in tax and put it towards programs that work towards reducing consumption of oil. Bah!

https://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/natio...kay060419.html
I don't think governments are capable of looking that far ahead anymore. Or maybe the population wants quick fixes more than a sustainable future?
Old 04-19-06, 11:26 AM
Brad M
nub

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Conservatives
Old 04-19-06, 05:34 PM
kc9eog

Bikes: Trek 1.1, Electra Ticino 7D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What concerns me is when gasoline goes high enough to actually cause a reduction in consumption, then the pressure on the politicians will be enormous to put a cap on the price of gas. The immediate shortage of gas would cut back driving more than high prices, but the real issues here still would not be dealt with.
Old 04-19-06, 05:55 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Right, they are distorting the market signals that are necessary to move industry and individuals to invest further in conservation and renewables. Instead of taxing income (a good thing), we should be taxing fossil fuel usage (a bad thing) through a carbon tax applied to all carbon-based fuels. Those who have proposed a carbon tax have suggested this very concept - lowering the income tax to compensate so that it is roughly revenue-neutral to the government and those who conserve would pay less in overall tax burden than before. Those who waste would pay more every time they fill up.
Old 04-19-06, 07:13 PM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Riderfan_lee
Just thought I would post this. Propping up the economy and its dependency on oil is not a good solution to rising gas prices. Why not take the lost income from the reduction in tax and put it towards programs that work towards reducing consumption of oil.
It's Harper. It's the Conservatives. What did you expect? Their whole platform essentially consists of buying votes.
Old 04-19-06, 07:27 PM
Riderfan_lee
Year-round cyclist

Bikes: Oryx Equipe 50, Gary Fisher Cobia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honestly that guy scares me.....a lot.....his announcement of censorship of civil servats and preventing from speaking against the party line or lose their jobs crap is really scary. And this announcement of cracking down on criminals, I can see being good for dangerous criminals and major crimes but reversing the marijuana laws and other petty crimes that will turn into jail time as a result....yikes. Getting scary.

But that is neither here nor there. I expected them to be bad but not this bad. I would have thought they would have been controlled somewhat considering they have a minority but it doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 04-19-06, 09:49 PM
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whatever. You Canucks are going to make buttloads of money when the price of oil rises high enough that your tar sands become profitable, and the permafrost melts exposing them. Plus, you'll have a warmer climate and more agricultural land.
Old 04-19-06, 10:15 PM
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Whatever. You Canucks are going to make buttloads of money when the price of oil rises high enough that your tar sands become profitable, and the permafrost melts exposing them. Plus, you'll have a warmer climate and more agricultural land.
Old 04-19-06, 10:42 PM
Sir Lunch-a-lot

Bikes: Montague Folding/E-Bike, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I don't get why you all seem to think Harper is cutting the gas taxes. Apparently, it was the election campaign before this one that he made that promise, so technically it doesn't apply. If you read the posted article, Harper basically said that we'd have to suck it up. "The truth of the matter is higher gas prices – that's going to be something that we're going to have to get used to." The only tax cut we're getting is the proposed 1% GST cut that applys to everything, not just gas.

I imagine that either way it goes, people are going to complain about it. People will complain that cutting taxes isn't a good solution for the problem, and when they don't cut taxes they will complain that not cutting taxes is a bad idea, and that the government is evil for not doing so. Gaah! Well, I hope that Harper already realises that there is no way that he will please everyone. So far, I think he's doing a good job. Better than our last 2 P.M's anyway, as far as I'm concerned. I could go on and on, showing my very opinionated side of politics, but that would take this topic even further off topic than it already is.

But this sudden spike in gas prices makes me glad that the novelty of having my drivers licence is wearing off. I'm trying to put more miles on my new bicycle, and to get in better shape this lovely spring, so I guess when I suddenly have to start paying for my own gas, it won't be as big a shock to the system to use the car even less.
Old 04-20-06, 08:35 AM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genericbikedude
Don't be so sure... we have let our economy become heavily based on imports, and imports need fuel to get from there to here. Did the groceries yesterday -plenty of fruit and veggies from California, Florida, and even Mexico but not all that much from here in Ontario. Ok, its early spring, but we do know how to build greenhouses! Even the venerable Hudson's Bay Company - older than the country itself - is now largely US-owned. US owned retailers often import more goods from the US vs. selling local.

I'm not one to weep at the "evils of the global economy" and I do think foreign investment has its place. I just think we Canadians have grown too comfortable importing things we could make at home, and the cost/benefit ratio is about to do a 180 (if it hasn't already).

Good day, that will be $1 for the tomatoe, plus $2.50 for shipping...."
Old 04-20-06, 01:00 PM
genericbikedude
如果你能讀了這個你講中文

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patc
Don't be so sure... we have let our economy become heavily based on imports, and imports need fuel to get from there to here. Did the groceries yesterday -plenty of fruit and veggies from California, Florida, and even Mexico but not all that much from here in Ontario. Ok, its early spring, but we do know how to build greenhouses! Even the venerable Hudson's Bay Company - older than the country itself - is now largely US-owned. US owned retailers often import more goods from the US vs. selling local.

I'm not one to weep at the "evils of the global economy" and I do think foreign investment has its place. I just think we Canadians have grown too comfortable importing things we could make at home, and the cost/benefit ratio is about to do a 180 (if it hasn't already).

Good day, that will be $1 for the tomatoe, plus $2.50 for shipping...."
So you are saying that Canada will rely on foreign capital to take advantage of tar sands and global warming, and all of the profits will be repatriated?
Old 04-20-06, 05:14 PM
gboy
accident-prone

Bikes: Brodie Romax Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by genericbikedude
So you are saying that Canada will rely on foreign capital to take advantage of tar sands and global warming, and all of the profits will be repatriated?
Yes, the Chinese are currently buying up energy companies left, right and centre in Alberta.