Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuters: where would you love to live?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuters: where would you love to live?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-06, 01:54 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by max-a-mill
but where would you commute TOO exactly??? just pullin your chain!
Well, I don't want to spend my whole life commuting... that's part of the point. I would like to live, work, shop and play in as small an area as possible. A move to a town as small as Boone would require a completely new way of supporting myself - which will eventually have to happen anyway. I'm not sure how many more years I'm willing to spend in front of a computer screen.
Old 12-27-06, 02:47 PM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote for Beaumont, near the top of San Gorgonio Pass, west of Palm Springs. With the gentle slope to the east and the almost all year intense tailwind you could do the 28 miles into work in Palm Springs in less than an hour. Then take public Transit back to Beaumont.
Old 12-27-06, 03:12 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
I haven't travelled enough in North America to know what cities are bike-friendly and what aren't. Toronto where I live is very reasonable downtown but as you move further away from the core, the number of cyclists rapidly drops and nobody knows how in the hell to deal with a biker on the road. Go further, into the suburbs - and it's like this for cycling: .

Originally Posted by Artkansas
Isla Vista, the student community had an unofficial motto of "Bicycles, Dogs and Frisbees".
I'm moving there!
Old 12-27-06, 04:12 PM
kevink159

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Madison Wi is great. Our winters are not that bad, I've ridden in a car exactly twice in the last 2 years because of weather.
Old 12-27-06, 05:36 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Maybe San Diego. I'm actually 100% perfectly happy w/ where I am. Any place w/ better weather would have to have worse drivers/traffic/whatever (setting aside the 'no job for me' thing). Rural Brit isle maybe.
Old 12-27-06, 07:11 PM
rustisamust

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bloomington, IN, is my choice. I live there now, and bicycling is the greatest here. You can get almost anywhere on small residential streets, the pavement is fair, hills mild, and best of all, there are tons of bicycles on the roads, so drivers actually know how to react. Overall, much better than Louisville, KY, where I lived previously. Plus, Bloomington is just a cool place, and fairly cheap to live in.
Old 12-27-06, 08:42 PM
rog
militant buddhist

Bikes: '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
<edit> Oh yeah. The locals have to speak English. I'm not learning a new language this late in the game. </edit>
Well, that limits it to ... lets see... Anywhere in the USA. Or do you mean you need a place where there is no chance of ever running into someone who speaks another language?

Heh...oh yeah, while I'm at it...

Santa Fe, NM, or Portland, Oregon.
Old 12-27-06, 09:03 PM
Falkon 
No Talent Assclown

Bikes: 1984 Ciocc Designer '84, Custom Columbus EL Keith Anderson -- Ultegra/DA 10sp mix, 2019 Trek Checkpoint AL All-arounder

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
If here, downtown for sure. Anywhere else in the US, downtown Nashville.
Old 12-27-06, 10:30 PM
LCI_Brian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to live anyplace where I can afford to live, there's plenty of sunshine, the temps never go below ~40F, and there are plenty on hills to climb.

<edit> Oh yeah. The locals have to speak English. I'm not learning a new language this late in the game. </edit>
Here in central and southern Orange County (the "OC"), there's lots of newer suburbs with lots of bike lanes. And the temperatures rarely go below 40F.

Oh, sorry, with a median home price of around $620,000, I guess that doesn't meet the "afford to live" criterion!
Old 12-28-06, 12:09 AM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
If there was work I could support myself with there, I'd live on Mackinac Island.

NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES ALLOWED!
Yes, but the blackflies are nasty there.
Old 12-28-06, 05:01 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by rog
Well, that limits it to ... lets see... Anywhere in the USA. Or do you mean you need a place where there is no chance of ever running into someone who speaks another language?
Then again, if you are looking for a place with good bicycling condition where everyone is capable of speaking English properly- go to The Netherlands. When you hear English spoken loudly and poorly there (with every sentence full of "ah," "like" "basically" and vulgar four letter words) you can be reasonably sure you will be amongst fellow American tourists.
Old 12-28-06, 05:20 AM
al-wagner
Happy old man

Bikes: Trek 4500 mountain bike, Trek 7500fx disk, and Trek 2200 Road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
anywhere except Vermont

In New England we have nine months of winter and three months of damned poor sledding.
Old 12-28-06, 07:20 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rog

Heh...oh yeah, while I'm at it...

Santa Fe, NM, or Portland, Oregon.
I don't get why so many folks are thinking Santa Fe. I lived in NM for 10 years and Santa Fe wasn't exactly bike friendly.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-28-06, 09:02 AM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chipcom
I don't get why so many folks are thinking Santa Fe. I lived in NM for 10 years and Santa Fe wasn't exactly bike friendly.
For us, Santa Fe has the appeal of being an artistic city. I've heard that it's a little tourist-overrun lately, which makes it less attractive than in years past.

As far as bike-friendliness. I have to think that nowhere's going to be any worse than where I am now.
Old 12-28-06, 09:19 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffS
For us, Santa Fe has the appeal of being an artistic city. I've heard that it's a little tourist-overrun lately, which makes it less attractive than in years past.

As far as bike-friendliness. I have to think that nowhere's going to be any worse than where I am now.

Yeah, 'the city different'. If you want artsy and much more bike friendly, try Taos. Can't help you with the tourists, they seem to have become a permanent fixture throughout the state.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 12-28-06, 09:28 AM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Santa Barbara is nice, but the median price of a crappy little house is a million dollars. I have never owned one and never will. If you are willing to settle for MUCH less you can live here and enjoy mountains, oceans and your choice of flat or hilly cycling plus all the adventurous sports you could possibly think of involving land, air or water.

Next best might be Ventura or Oxnard. I can't say they're the greatest for cycling but it's flat if you don't like hills and there is a great bike trail to Ojai plus lots of really long bike rides you can make that go into the back country mountains or along the coast or both.
Old 12-28-06, 09:51 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I visited Portland a few months ago, and my wife and I agreed that if we could find jobs we'd consider moving there. The biking is easy, with few hills [except that big one west of downtown], lots of cyclists, lots of bike parking, polite, friendly...

I could also live in Nelson, B.C. It almost never goes lower than -15C, the entire town is on the side of a mountain so I'd get really fit, and the entire place shuts down for powder days.

Farther afield, there are the obvious places in Europe like Spain, most of the U.K. and France, Portugal, BeNeLux and Turkey. I would consider S.E. Asia and South Asia, but only where I could get far enough from the equator. Beijing sounds pretty cool except for the pollution.
Old 12-28-06, 05:15 PM
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer

Bikes: A dozen or so.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mister
I know you said California is too expensive, but Davis, CA is, from what I hear, extremely bike friendly. The few times I was in Davis, I saw lots of happy cyclists and businesses all had large bike racks in front. I think it was voted one of the most bike friendly cities in the US too.
Davis, CA... the land of 1/2 million dollar "starter" homes (hey half the price of SB!)

https://www.bicyclefriendlycommunity....ommunities.htm
Old 12-28-06, 07:05 PM
notfred

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to live in San Francisco, so I decided I'd get a job and apartment there... and I did. I'm actually in the process of moving right now. As soon as rush hour is over, I'm going to take my final carload of stuff to my new place.

While I plan on commuting primarily by bike and public transit while I'm there, I certainly didn't choose to live in SF because of how I plan to get to work everyday. I actually think it'd be kind of sad if I thought, "Wow, that place would be perfect to live, I'll get to use method X to get to work!"

San Francisco is a city with a beautiful climate full of culture, and just generally a place I like to be, regardless of how I commute.

Edit: For the guy above me -- I'm moving to SF from Davis. Davis is easier to bike in than SF. I don't care, I like SF better as a place to live my life, not just a place to bike to work.
Old 12-28-06, 07:38 PM
rog
militant buddhist

Bikes: '08 Scott CR-1 Pro, '02 Jamis Nova

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom

Climate, mainly...although it would be weird for me to live so far from an ocean (Jersey shore is a half hour by bike), I check their weather from time to time when it's nasty here, and it's always 60-80f, low humidity. Sign me up.
Old 12-28-06, 07:44 PM
rydaddy
Type 1 Racer

Bikes: A dozen or so.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by notfred
Edit: For the guy above me -- I'm moving to SF from Davis. Davis is easier to bike in than SF. I don't care, I like SF better as a place to live my life, not just a place to bike to work.
Good luck in SF. Its an awesome city. I moved from the Bay Area to Davis to raise a family... not because of the biking. Its nice to walk out at night and not worry about getting jacked. The public schools are good in Davis as well. SF is always there when I want to go visit. I ride from Davis to Sac so I do get some city riding in. Nothing compares to those hills in SF though!
Old 12-28-06, 07:54 PM
notfred

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydaddy
Good luck in SF. Its an awesome city. I moved from the Bay Area to Davis to raise a family... not because of the biking. Its nice to walk out at night and not worry about getting jacked. The public schools are good in Davis as well. SF is always there when I want to go visit. I ride from Davis to Sac so I do get some city riding in. Nothing compares to those hills in SF though!
That's cool. There definitely are some nice things about Davis, like the fact that I can leave my car unlocked and not have it stolen. But I'm 25, I'm not quite ready to settle down in a place like Davis yet, maybe in a few years I'll be done with the city and ready for somewhere a little quieter.
Old 12-29-06, 09:47 AM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd like to live anyplace where I can afford to live, there's plenty of sunshine, the temps never go below ~40F, and there are plenty on hills to climb.

Gotcha. I've lived in Atlanta for over 30 years, and I'm not tired of it. I've bike commuted here for about 10 years, and love it despite the naysayers. One problem, I admit, is the fact we're growing so much that traffic congestion is impossible in certain places/times.

I figure that with the population continuing to grow as it has since I've been here, more cyclists will move here, and that will make it even better for cycling. I'm sure some people select a city based on cycling infrastructure/cycling culture, but many cyclists simply move where the jobs are. Once there, they bring cycling culture with them.
Old 12-29-06, 10:13 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
How about island communities? Catalina (very expensive) limits the number of cars that are allowed on the island.

How about the east coast... what are the island communities like there?

And the west coast San Juans... I have noticed slow speeds and even bike turnouts on the roads on the islands there.

What about areas... townships, where the posted speeds are 25MPH everywhere?
Old 12-29-06, 10:38 AM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by awagner109
anywhere except Vermont
+1000000000000000
Counting the minutes 'til I leave this hell

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.