Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

You Don't Need Those Light Weight Wheels

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-12-20, 04:19 PM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts

Likes For Jack Tone:
Old 07-12-20, 05:26 PM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Cool video. Seems that psychology is king, yet again
Old 07-12-20, 05:33 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
"Unless you're accelerating."

So...yeah, I'll go with the light weight wheelsets. Thanks.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-12-20, 06:02 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
It's a good thing that the guy selling the heavier wheels put together simulations to show how they're not at a disadvantage to the lighter wheels.
Old 07-12-20, 06:02 PM
walnutz

Bikes: CO-OP ADV 3.1 aka Beeftank (stolen, RIP), State All-Road

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 75 Posts
Old 07-12-20, 06:20 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Cool. That consistent drop in my times this Spring was all me!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 07-12-20, 06:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If getting lighter wheels is the only way to easily lighten your bike by a pound or so then the battle of rotational weight and just weight is meaningless anyhow.

So what's the point? I tried to listen but the audio quality was poor and evidently neither interviewer or interviewee could talk in full sentences.

But did they ever talk about to bikes of the same overall weight and one with lighter rims? Seems to me that the bike with lighter rims will accelerate faster. And about the only time that is needed is in a sprint. So if they didn't look at the models for just a 200 meter sprint, then they were making a big deal about nothing.
Old 07-12-20, 08:12 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
What do you bet that this guy paid a lot of attention to unsprung weight on his cars? Speaking of that, of course it's not only rim weight, but tire weight also which should be considered. Using his own aero wheels in this experiment is an absolute no-no, taking away all credibility.

That nitpicking aside, the data files supplied are much too coarse to be useful in making the kind of statements this guy made. To see any rotational weight differences, one would have to look at data intervals on the order of tenths of a second or finer. What's not being considered is the minor accelerations which happen with every pedal stroke, especially when standing. Of course the energy put into the wheels by tiny power variations comes right back out again because momentum. However it takes a tiny bit more muscular effort to accelerate and decelerate than to maintain an absolutely steady speed. It's probably possible to take these micro-efforts into account if one had sufficiently fine data and knew the exact physiology of the particular rider, but of course no one's going to do that.

I think we could say that over the decades, riders have decided that light wheels climb better, using only their subjective feel for it, much the same as that light bikes climb better, even if the computer says there's only a few seconds of difference for that little bit of weight. In both cases, it could be that the act of rocking the bike feels different with lighter wheels and a lighter bike, For sure even I notice large differences in weight, just by feel, therefore small differences must be there, too.
Old 07-12-20, 08:49 PM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 147 Posts
They weren't saying you don't need light wheels. They saying go by there total weight and don't think to much of the rotating weight. So total weight and aero.
Likes For jbchybridrider:
Old 07-12-20, 09:05 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
They weren't saying you don't need light wheels. They saying go by there total weight and don't think to much of the rotating weight. So total weight and aero.
+1

Some people only hear, what they want to hear.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-12-20, 09:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I don't buy it. I raced as a skinny climber. The constant little and not so little accelerations of a competitive race took its toll on me. Having very light tires and rims were a Godsend. Being able to very quickly jump up a few MPH to grab that wheel going by or pulling out could save chasing hard for 100 yards. Making the break vs falling 3 feet short could be the difference between top 8 and 25th place 10 minutes back.

Now if you are strong enough to make those repeated jumps on heavy wheels, its a different story. (The big, strong guys couldn't ride the light rims I did unless they had an endless supply of sponsored wheels. 290 gram Fiamme Ergal rims and 250 gram silk tires. (Yeah, everyone rode those tires. My budget didn't allow me to ride Seta Extras. But I could get two seasons out of the Ergal rims on New England roads.)

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-12-20, 09:25 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I know, and I didn't hear a thing about how they compare in just a 200 meter sprint. Otherwise I'd agree that it's pretty much just weight.

In the grand scheme of anything longer than maybe a kilometer, there is more going on that will cost the win.
Old 07-13-20, 01:13 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 147 Posts
Some of you guys are only focused on one aspect of rotational mass thats when accelerating. In say a crit yes you can feel the acceleration but less felt is when you take your power out of the cranks you loose more speed faster than a wheel with more rotational mass which maintains forward momentum.
A rider with less rotational mass needs to apply more power sooner to regain the speed of a wheel with more mass. This is kinetic energy.
In Formula one racing it's the continued energy "momentum" after power has stopped being applied that is stored in batteries. In cycling light wheels are always an advantage and biggest benefit when there's climbing because it's the easiest fastest way to reduce total mass, it's not about rotational mass so aero becomes the biggest advantage when looking for faster wheels.
On a climb you could say a light accelerating wheel can get a breakaway from the bunch and can but still you can't maintain that power on a long climb and when you explode loose momentum faster than a rider that maintains a constant effort and may have a wheel with more rotational mass.
Likes For jbchybridrider:
Old 07-13-20, 03:15 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I'm not sure I'd EVER trust rim brakes on carbon rims, after seeing this.

Old 07-13-20, 04:08 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
If I "think" lighter wheels make a difference; they make a difference.
Likes For nomadmax:
Old 07-13-20, 04:58 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
I do think weight of wheels matters a bit more than the video suggests. On most rides except TT’s, there are lots of micro-accelerations of a few seconds. The heavier wheel requires a bit more power relative to a lighter wheel, and these accumulated marginal extra efforts are going to have an effect. Yes I know you “get it back” in momentum but we are looking at a human engine which is not factored in by the model.

Last edited by datlas; 07-13-20 at 05:41 AM.
Old 07-13-20, 05:07 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
I'm not sure I'd EVER trust rim brakes on carbon rims, after seeing this.
Or you could just learn how to properly ride and brake. It's not like we haven't been using carbon rims and rim brakes for the last two decades...
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-13-20, 05:28 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
That crash gives new meaning to the term "unglued".

Its possible those wheels weren't up to spec, good luck proving it though!

With alloy rims, they tend to show cracks, before they fail.
Old 07-13-20, 05:47 AM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by nomadmax
If I "think" lighter wheels make a difference; they make a difference.
+1

Pretty much this. Even though Conservation of Momentum would dictate that the energy required to keep two geometrically identical bodies of mass in motion would be the same, regardless of the differences in mass--if a rider feels that they have to mash on the pedals to get their bike moving, this will take a toll after repeated efforts--even if the benefit of heavier rims manifests itself on rolling terrain. That said, it seemed to me that the guy in the video is showing that over time aero will trump wheel weight, which is pretty much indisputable at this point. If you have to choose between light, semi-aero rims and heavier, aero rims--the better choice is aero rims.

If you have money though--Bora Ultras, Aeolus XXX, 1100 Dicut, etc are all under 1500 grams.
Likes For upthywazzoo:
Old 07-13-20, 05:54 AM
upthywazzoo 

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Or you could just learn how to properly ride and brake. It's not like we haven't been using carbon rims and rim brakes for the last two decades...
Personally I'm a lot more worried about getting doored, a car making a sudden right turn, a pedestrian not looking both ways before crossing the bike lane, etc etc than my chinese wheels randomly failing.
Likes For upthywazzoo:
Old 07-13-20, 06:40 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I do think weight of wheels matters a bit more than the video suggests. On most rides except TT’s, there are lots of micro-accelerations of a few seconds. The heavier wheel requires a bit more power relative to a lighter wheel, and these accumulated marginal extra efforts are going to have an effect. Yes I know you “get it back” in momentum but we are looking at a human engine which is not factored in by the model.
It's the same ol' thing - math showing that increasing rotating mass doesn't affect average speed very much... and I actually agree with that. Where I disagree is that, IMO, this always overlooks what makes lighter wheels feel so different - angular momentum/the gyroscope effect.

Anyone that had ridden light wheels can immediately feel the difference - it's not in your head. But it's more side-to-side than straight ahead - lighter wheels change direction/orientation much more readily than heavier wheels and make the bike feel much, much more snappy and responsive whether you're cornering or thrashing out of the saddle - you don't feel like you're fighting the bike as much.

If anyone needs to demonstrate this to themselves, it's easy: the next time your changing a tire/tube, hold the wheel in front of you, by the ends of the QR/TA. Give the wheel a good spin and then try tilting the wheel side-to-side. It'll resist very noticeably. Next, take out the tube (or tire, if you're tubeless), give it another spin and try tilting side-to-side again. Very big difference and that difference is magnified with speed.
Old 07-13-20, 12:58 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
It's the same ol' thing - math showing that increasing rotating mass doesn't affect average speed very much... and I actually agree with that. Where I disagree is that, IMO, this always overlooks what makes lighter wheels feel so different - angular momentum/the gyroscope effect.

Anyone that had ridden light wheels can immediately feel the difference - it's not in your head. But it's more side-to-side than straight ahead - lighter wheels change direction/orientation much more readily than heavier wheels and make the bike feel much, much more snappy and responsive whether you're cornering or thrashing out of the saddle - you don't feel like you're fighting the bike as much.

If anyone needs to demonstrate this to themselves, it's easy: the next time your changing a tire/tube, hold the wheel in front of you, by the ends of the QR/TA. Give the wheel a good spin and then try tilting the wheel side-to-side. It'll resist very noticeably. Next, take out the tube (or tire, if you're tubeless), give it another spin and try tilting side-to-side again. Very big difference and that difference is magnified with speed.
When I went from OEM to custom alloy wheels, I saved a measured 500g and the difference in bike handling was quite noticeable.
Old 07-13-20, 01:05 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
"Unless you're accelerating."

So...yeah, I'll go with the light weight wheelsets. Thanks.
Well people don't accelerate in races, do they?
Old 07-13-20, 01:09 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Well people don't accelerate in races, do they?
If you actually look at the numbers, accelerations are so slow* they virtually don't.

*Scaled to the forces needed to maintain a steady speed
Old 07-13-20, 01:11 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
If you actually look at the numbers, accelerations are so slow* they virtually don't.

*Scaled to the forces needed to maintain a steady speed
I don't race, and I don't know much about racing, but I thought marginal gains in acceleration were critical for breaking away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.