Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Action Cam and GPS won't play together!?!

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-21, 04:42 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts

I thought I'd be smart and set up my GPS (Ram mount) so the action camera attached to it. I drilled holes, found some SS screws/nuts and when I was finished it looked really good. Except, the camera interferes with the GPS (Garmin). It's fine until I turn the camera on and then I lose signal. I tried lining the mount with tin foil to block the camera waves to no avail. There isn't any room on the handle bars for its own mount due to cross over brakes, GPS, and obscenely bright light. I can continue using it on the helmet, but I really wanted to get it off my head. I moved it to beneath the light mount, but the cables are in front of the lens and that just su.. you know what I mean. Any suggestions or ideas would really be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-19-21, 11:47 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Things that have fast processors in them create lots of RF. Some are shielded better than others. Maybe wrap your camera in tin foil, but that's just a wild stab.

Better though to move it away from the GPS or decide which you want more. GPS reception or good pics.
Old 07-19-21, 01:47 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,653 Times in 780 Posts
Can you post a picture of your setup? I have a GoPro mounted right beneath my Garmin 1030+ and have zero issues.
Old 07-19-21, 02:58 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Can you post a picture of your setup? I have a GoPro mounted right beneath my Garmin 1030+ and have zero issues.
I took the setup apart and mounted it on the stem for now. I lose a quarter of the view because it's behnd the GPS unit instead of under/in front. I know I know, I should have taken pics.
Old 07-19-21, 03:00 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by Iride01
Things that have fast processors in them create lots of RF. Some are shielded better than others. Maybe wrap your camera in tin foil, but that's just a wild stab.

Better though to move it away from the GPS or decide which you want more. GPS reception or good pics.
I moved it to the stem for now, but I will try wrapping the camera instead of the GPS and see if that makes any difference. I'm using it inside the waterproof case due to all the morning mist that soaks everything that moves through it so it should help hold the foil in place.. thanks

I'll let you know if that makes a difference over wrapping the GPS
Old 07-19-21, 09:21 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Three layers of tinfoil around the camera and then black tape over that to protect the tin foil plus three layers on the GPS and while it's not as pretty as it was when it didn't work, it now works. I couldn't put the tinfoil around the actual camera because it covered all the controls and then didn;t fit inside the waterproof housing. I have 3 action cams and I tried each of them with the same results. I even switched the frequencies to no avail. But they're working now thanks to your suggestion. It's nice just popping off the GPS when I run inside a store or coffee shop and having all my electronics with me and not have to remove everything separately.
Old 07-20-21, 08:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Three layers on the GPS. I'm iffy on doing that. Remember the GPS has an antenna in it to receive those very weak signals from those satellites far far away.

I have virtually no practical experience with electronics and radios at the level of when something acts as a shield or when it may act as an antenna. So someone else should maybe lend a word here.

However I'd not put anything around the GPS if I wanted the most accurate track possible. Your camera is below the GPS isn't it?
Old 07-20-21, 10:21 AM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Three layers on the GPS. I'm iffy on doing that. Remember the GPS has an antenna in it to receive those very weak signals from those satellites far far away.

I have virtually no practical experience with electronics and radios at the level of when something acts as a shield or when it may act as an antenna. So someone else should maybe lend a word here.

However I'd not put anything around the GPS if I wanted the most accurate track possible. Your camera is below the GPS isn't it?
Yeah, the cam is mounted directly below the GPS so I only applied the foil to the back of the GPS leaving the front (screen) exposed. I still have accuracy to within 8 feet so no problem there. Without the foil I had accuracy to within 3 feet and if I need it for something requiring that level of accuracy I can always pull it out of the mount. The camera is on a clip-in mount type bracket, so if I need to catch something I can always slip it out of the bracket and slip it onto my helmet in under ten seconds. Only real drawback is I have to set it up to record before I put it in the waterproof case because I can't see the rear screen or use the control buttons on the case because they're all covered over with foil and tape. But it's cool. The 2 units have a strained relationship, but it's definitely better than all out war. Thanks for the tips.
Old 07-21-21, 05:12 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
I would call that a "There has to be a better way" situation.
Old 07-21-21, 06:45 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Originally Posted by OldRailfan
I would call that a "There has to be a better way" situation.
I'm all ears.
Likes For Bigbus: