Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Metin Uz passed away

Old 05-20-22, 10:55 PM
anotherbrian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Metin Uz passed away

From the SFR Announcements, the RBA posted earlier today (5/20/22):
While riding the Treasure Cove 1200 in Virginia, Metin Uz was struck and killed at a 3 way intersection. This was about 220 miles iinto the ride.

Early information is sparse and often erroneous. I will pass along what i find out when i find out.

I've ridden many miles with Metin. My only regret would be those miles I will not get to ride with him. He was the most meticulously prepared rider I know, and truly very smart on the bike.

When the time comes SFR and the whole NorCal randonneuring community will gather and remember Metin and hopefully support each other as we come to terms with our loss.

Terrible news. I met Metin through the forum 10 years ago while riding double centuries. He'll be missed.
Old 05-21-22, 09:18 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Just awful. There’s a long thread on The Paceline about this. Metin was a poster here, too. I rode with him for a bit on PBP 2019 and cherish that memory.
Old 05-22-22, 07:29 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Some conflicting news reports, out there. Some reporting he blew through a stop sign at an intersection, with others reporting he collided with a vehicle as he was approaching a stop sign. Hard to know what was the case, at this point.

Condolences to those in his family and who've known him.
Old 05-22-22, 09:22 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Very sad. I am pretty sure I rode with him for a little while a couple of years ago before he dropped me like a hot rock.
Old 05-30-22, 09:57 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Rip 😞

Last edited by atwl77; 05-30-22 at 09:58 AM. Reason: weird, forum won't let me type RIP in all caps
Old 09-26-22, 05:57 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by anotherbrian
From the SFR Announcements, the RBA posted earlier today (5/20/22):
While riding the Treasure Cove 1200 in Virginia, Metin Uz was struck and killed at a 3 way intersection. This was about 220 miles iinto the ride.

Early information is sparse and often erroneous. I will pass along what i find out when i find out.

I've ridden many miles with Metin. My only regret would be those miles I will not get to ride with him. He was the most meticulously prepared rider I know, and truly very smart on the bike.

When the time comes SFR and the whole NorCal randonneuring community will gather and remember Metin and hopefully support each other as we come to terms with our loss.

Terrible news. I met Metin through the forum 10 years ago while riding double centuries. He'll be missed.
There is a write-up with a picture in the current American Randonneur magazine.
Quite a human being, apparently.