Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

So the next question/step - what are you doing to make it happen?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.
View Poll Results: What have you done to further your society biking dream?
I wrote a letter to a congressman, town representative or office
13.89%
I attended a town meeting and suggested/fought for it
5.56%
I donated money/time to a bike-rights organization
13.89%
I have done nothing but talk about it on bike forums
41.67%
other (please explain)
25.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-06, 08:16 AM
donrhummy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

After seeing everyone's responses on the "Which would you rather see adopted?" poll, it led me to wonder, are any of us doing anything to make those things come true? How many here have written their representative? Gone to a town meeting? Donated money to a bike-rights organization?
Old 05-04-06, 09:53 AM
donrhummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wrote a letter (and engaged in an email conversation) with a town representative about improving the bike lanes around here. I know it's no where near enough. Still, I started taking action (however small)!
Old 05-04-06, 10:30 AM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[RANT] Learn to make multi-choice polls, people![/RANT]

I have:
- attended public consultations meetings
- written to the mayor's office
- written to my city councillor's office
- written to the papers
- published several opinion in my blog, and info links
- written and phoned our transit company
- attended planning meetings for the LRT
- speak to everyone who asks about cycling
- use my bike as my "company car"
- use my bike + trailer to haul work equipment

I don't support my local bike organization.
Old 05-04-06, 10:37 AM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[RANT] Learn to make multi-choice polls, people![/RANT]

I have:
- attended public consultations meetings
- written to the mayor's office
- written to my city councillor's office
- written to the papers
- published several opinion in my blog, and info links
- written and phoned our transit company
- attended planning meetings for the LRT
- speak to everyone who asks about cycling
- use my bike as my "company car"
- use my bike + trailer to haul work equipment

Old 05-04-06, 10:58 AM
adgrant

Bikes: Still researching

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most/All of the ideas in the original poll have zero chance of being adopted. A tax break would be nice but the government doesn't even give a decent tax break to mass transit commuters. I would like to see bikes exempt from sales taxes.
Old 05-04-06, 11:07 AM
gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patc
Hey patc, whats wrong with YOUR local bike organization?

Maybe this is a ripe topic for a new thread.

When I attended a fundraiser for my local bike organization many of the attendees griped about the location for the event. You know what the gripe was? Lack of parking. With so many suburbanite car drivers in the organization it got me thinking that maybe they don't have the interests of everyday transportational cyclists at heart.
Old 05-04-06, 12:03 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I was involved with a transportation committee for the city I used to live in for a year or two. During all our meetings I suggested and strongly supported cycling-friendly ideas, and improved mass transportation. During all our meetings my ideas were met with big smiles and nods, and many people told me they really liked the ideas and thought that was the direction we should go. During our last few meetings we were given hints of what the new plan was for the city, and many of the cycling-friendly and improved mass transportation ideas were mentioned.

Then the powers-that-were put together the final document and sent it around to everyone involved. It didn't look anything like what I thought we had discussed, and only one of my cycling-friendly ideas was half-heartedly implemented.

I haven't been involved in anything like that since. Why waste my time?

Now I just ride and talk to the people I meet about how great cycling is ... and maybe some others will catch the excitement of a wonderful sport.
Old 05-04-06, 02:14 PM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gwd
Hey patc, whats wrong with YOUR local bike organization?
I don't feel they make any effort to represent all cyclists in the city, and I don't fully agree with their views. In don't join advocacy groups unless I can fully agree with their goals.

The representation issue is a thorny one. An advocacy group can represent (a) the gaols set it by its board, (b) the gaols set out by its membership, or (c) the gaols of all members of one class. The local group seems to mostly operate in mode (a) with reasonable mode (b). Nothing wrong with that, except that it is accepted by the city as speaking for, and representative of, all cyclists, mode (c).

This is a common problem with advocacy groups, and one of the reasons I often won't support them. Cycling is no different there - from bike lanes to local by-laws, we have plenty of contentious issues in cycling. I have no problem with groups "picking sides" on these issues, but I do have a problem when a group speaks for all cyclists (by choice or not) but only represents one view. The "minority report" has to be included too

I'm not saying that CFSC (Citizens for Safer Cycling) is a bad group, and they certainly have been very active with the city, I just can't support them or join them in their current position.
Old 05-04-06, 03:08 PM
jeremyb

Bikes: Raleigh Grand Prix, Cervelo P3alu

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
my "other":i am trying to use my car as minimally as possible, and commute by bike or walk more places in an effort to lead by example.
Old 05-04-06, 03:36 PM
jimmuter
Urban Biker

Bikes: Trek 720 hybrid; 2007 Specialized Tricross Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by adgrant
Most/All of the ideas in the original poll have zero chance of being adopted.
That was my first thought.

It's much better to work behind the scenes with the people who do the work in the community. Showing up to a town council meeting and going off isn't going to accomplish anything. Writing a letter provides your representative with a toilet paper substitute. Find out who (if anyone) in your community gets grants for bicycle and pedestrian type things, and get in their ear. Also, offering solutions rather than just presenting problems is more effective. Going to a municipality and begging for money is a waste of time. Find a way to bring at least some other funds to the table and make the benefit useful enough, and you may stand a chance. That being said, none of the options presented in the first poll are realistic.
Old 05-04-06, 05:48 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

From the other poll:

1) Your town/city puts bike lanes EVERYWHERE, separated by concrete lines from the cars -- fortunately that is one that won't happen except perhaps in a very limited way like perhaps across a bridge ... it's too expensive for a city to consider setting up. As things stand now, many cities consider paved bike paths (MUPs), or paved shoulders, or slightly wider roads, to be too expensive never mind forking out for all the time and effort to create baracades.

2) Every car becomes electric/solar powered -- your local city doesn't have a say in this, that's up to the car companies. And until electric/solar powered cars drop down to about the $2000-$5000 price range, they will be out of reach for most people.

3) 50% of the commuters switch to bikes -- for this you'd have to get at least 50% of businesses on board with excellent bicycle storage facilities, showers, etc., AND you'd have to have all these businesses give incentives for cycling to work as much as possible. This option might be possible ... but with the general supersizing of our population I think it would be an uphill battle to convince that many people to exercise. Despite the increase in gasoline prices, one of my impoverished co-workers (single mother trying to make ends meet) at one of the jobs I have thinks she needs to buy a car so that she can drive the 3 blocks to work because that is too far to walk. And that is not an uncommon mentality.

4) You get a $500 tax break for commuting on a bike -- this is my favorite idea, and BC has come the closest I've ever seen to doing something like this. There, if the item is environmentally friendly (like a bicycle), there is no provincial sales tax ... or at least that's how it was several years ago. However, knowing governments, I think what BC is doing is probably the closest we'll ever see to that idea. Governments want us to buy fuel for our cars because there is such a massive fuel tax on it ... which goes straight into their pockets. There's no way the government is going to strongly encourage people to stop driving ... they'd be cutting off a significant source of income.

5) Every commuter must use a 1/2-size car for commute -- I'm not even sure what a 1/2-size car is! But I do know that California has car pool lanes where only cars with 2 or 3 or more passengers can drive ... to encourage car pooling. Is that what you mean?

6) Cars (except for buses, taxes) are outlawed in cities -- not only will this one not happen, but it is completely impractical, and anyone who was in favor of this idea has never been employed in their city centers. If motorized vehicles (except for buses, taxes) are outlawed ... how are supplies going to be delivered to the businesses? A bicycle courier can't haul 1000 lbs of paper, several cubicals, a collection of desk chairs, a set of computers ...... !! And if you mean cities in general ... the whole city, not just the downtown area, it is even more ridiculous! Suppose you buy a new sofa? How are you going to get it to your home if there are no vehicles allowed to drive? I think vehicles can be limited ..... for example, certain streets could be closed to through traffic, or turned into bus/bicycle streets, or something, but outlawing cars altogether will never happen ... and shouldn't happen.
Old 05-04-06, 06:56 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've encouraged people I know to reduce wasteful car use and have tried to lead by example-- I use a car very rarely.

I also wrote a letter, not to a politician, but to the Wall Street Journal. Letters to the editor can be a good way for us to get ideas out there and have a little bit of influence on the public.
Old 05-05-06, 11:33 AM
donrhummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
From the other poll:

1) Your town/city puts bike lanes EVERYWHERE, separated by concrete lines from the cars -- fortunately that is one that won't happen except perhaps in a very limited way like perhaps across a bridge ... it's too expensive for a city to consider setting up. As things stand now, many cities consider paved bike paths (MUPs), or paved shoulders, or slightly wider roads, to be too expensive never mind forking out for all the time and effort to create baracades.
I really don't understand why everyone's so against this idea. Sure, the initial cost would be a little high, but in the long run it would be a great feature. ONLY bikes would be allowed there (there's still a sidewalk), and cars couldn't double park in it, or even cross the lane. I see little problem with this (yes, other than cost).

2) Every car becomes electric/solar powered -- your local city doesn't have a say in this, that's up to the car companies. And until electric/solar powered cars drop down to about the $2000-$5000 price range, they will be out of reach for most people.
Sure they, and the state DO have a say in it. There's a few ways:

1. Offer car companies that sell those cars tax breaks to do business in your city/state.
2. Start making the city, such as garages, more electric-car friendly. (e.g. put "plugs" for recharging the cars in parking garages, encourage gas stations and companies to do the same, etc).
3. Offer tax breaks to citizens who buy an electric car (Don't know about all of your cities, but in NYC we had to pay a hefty tax on top of state tax).

3) 50% of the commuters switch to bikes -- for this you'd have to get at least 50% of businesses on board with excellent bicycle storage facilities, showers, etc., AND you'd have to have all these businesses give incentives for cycling to work as much as possible. This option might be possible ... but with the general supersizing of our population I think it would be an uphill battle to convince that many people to exercise. Despite the increase in gasoline prices, one of my impoverished co-workers (single mother trying to make ends meet) at one of the jobs I have thinks she needs to buy a car so that she can drive the 3 blocks to work because that is too far to walk. And that is not an uncommon mentality.
I think there's a few ways to do this:
1. People are obsessed with "losing weight" and getting in shape, and the city can help fund programs that encourage users to walk/bike to work, or even take public transportation which increases walking over driving to work. Offer companies incentives to have their employees participate.
2. Terrorism. It's sad, but it appears that this is actually the only thing that's making inroads in the gov't with respect to finding alternatives to oil (mid-east oil in particular, but they're looking at full alternative fuels). I don't want this one to ever be used but, *sigh* it'd probably get some people to stop buying as much gas (some).

4) You get a $500 tax break for commuting on a bike -- this is my favorite idea, and BC has come the closest I've ever seen to doing something like this. There, if the item is environmentally friendly (like a bicycle), there is no provincial sales tax ... or at least that's how it was several years ago. However, knowing governments, I think what BC is doing is probably the closest we'll ever see to that idea. Governments want us to buy fuel for our cars because there is such a massive fuel tax on it ... which goes straight into their pockets. There's no way the government is going to strongly encourage people to stop driving ... they'd be cutting off a significant source of income.
Maybe, but if you combine the health, environment and terrorism-safety aspects, you just might get that.

5) Every commuter must use a 1/2-size car for commute -- I'm not even sure what a 1/2-size car is! But I do know that California has car pool lanes where only cars with 2 or 3 or more passengers can drive ... to encourage car pooling. Is that what you mean?
It's a car that limits the space-impact that large cars, with ONE person in it, have on the environment. Here's an example:

And Mr. Environment Celebrity, George Clooney, now drives one:
See Clooney's Car!

6) Cars (except for buses, taxes) are outlawed in cities -- not only will this one not happen, but it is completely impractical, and anyone who was in favor of this idea has never been employed in their city centers. If motorized vehicles (except for buses, taxes) are outlawed ... how are supplies going to be delivered to the businesses? A bicycle courier can't haul 1000 lbs of paper, several cubicals, a collection of desk chairs, a set of computers ...... !! And if you mean cities in general ... the whole city, not just the downtown area, it is even more ridiculous! Suppose you buy a new sofa? How are you going to get it to your home if there are no vehicles allowed to drive? I think vehicles can be limited ..... for example, certain streets could be closed to through traffic, or turned into bus/bicycle streets, or something, but outlawing cars altogether will never happen ... and shouldn't happen.
Sorry, i misstated this one. What I meant was something like this:
1. Public transportation is allowed
2. Taxi services are allowed
3. Delivery services are allowed
4. Anyone living in the city can register for a one-two day pass for things such as moving, etc.
5. bikes are allowed
6. the city would build parking garages surrounding the city for residents to store their cars

if you've ever been in NYC, this one would seem like the best idea you've ever heard.
Old 05-05-06, 11:44 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by donrhummy
I really don't understand why everyone's so against this idea. Sure, the initial cost would be a little high, but in the long run it would be a great feature. ONLY bikes would be allowed there (there's still a sidewalk), and cars couldn't double park in it, or even cross the lane. I see little problem with this (yes, other than cost).
Have you ever been in a city? How can such a thing even be implemented unless it was built completely underground or overhead as would be required for a fully separated infrastucture.

Al
Old 05-05-06, 11:45 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I checked the letter writing box.

Besides the good options mentioned in the poll, I think one other thing we can all do quite easily is to begin planting the idea that bikes are a viable alternative to cars in many regions. People will be looking for alternatives if gas prices continue their climb. Few cagers will pause to think about a bike unless somebody plants that idea in their heads.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 05-05-06, 12:12 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by donrhummy
1. There's no room for that kind of system in most cities! In many parts of the cities I have lived in and visited, the lanes are already extremely narrow and there are practically no sidewalks. Where would something like this go?

2. What about the intersections? ... As you say, cars couldn't cross the lane, but they have to at the intersections ... and then you run into the biggest problem with riding on the sidewalks. Cars aren't looking for cyclist way over there, and if cyclists just pop out into the street, turning cars won't expect them and will hit them ... especially if there's some sort of baracade to block the view. Or, the other possibility would be that you'd have to have gates at every intersection to prevent the bicycles from popping out onto the street unexpectedly. Gates at every intersection would slow cyclists down incredibly!! There's a MUP here that has them ... I rode it once, and decided that I wouldn't do that again if I could help it because my average speed was about 4 mph with all the stopping and starting. If there were gates I can guarantee there would be very few cyclists who would use them!

3. What's to prevent other forms of transportation from using them? The idea behind bicycle paths was to have a place to ride bicycles ... and then roller bladers needed a place to do their thing, so rather than building a roller blader path, they allowed them on the bicycle paths. Then skateboarders wanted a place to do their thing ... and so on, and so on ... believe me if a designated bicycle path were built, it wouldn't be long before all sorts of methods of transportation were using it.

4. What's wrong with riding with the traffic?
Old 05-05-06, 12:22 PM
gwd
Biker

Bikes: one Recumbent and one Utility Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was involved with a transportation committee for the city I used to live in for a year or two. During all our meetings I suggested and strongly supported cycling-friendly ideas, and improved mass transportation. During all our meetings my ideas were met with big smiles and nods, and many people told me they really liked the ideas and thought that was the direction we should go. During our last few meetings we were given hints of what the new plan was for the city, and many of the cycling-friendly and improved mass transportation ideas were mentioned.

Then the powers-that-were put together the final document and sent it around to everyone involved. It didn't look anything like what I thought we had discussed, and only one of my cycling-friendly ideas was half-heartedly implemented.

I haven't been involved in anything like that since. Why waste my time?

Now I just ride and talk to the people I meet about how great cycling is ... and maybe some others will catch the excitement of a wonderful sport.
I had a similar experience and responded similarly.
Old 05-05-06, 01:08 PM
adgrant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. There's no room for that kind of system in most cities! In many parts of the cities I have lived in and visited, the lanes are already extremely narrow and there are practically no sidewalks. Where would something like this go?

2. What about the intersections? ... As you say, cars couldn't cross the lane, but they have to at the intersections ... and then you run into the biggest problem with riding on the sidewalks. Cars aren't looking for cyclist way over there, and if cyclists just pop out into the street, turning cars won't expect them and will hit them ... especially if there's some sort of baracade to block the view. Or, the other possibility would be that you'd have to have gates at every intersection to prevent the bicycles from popping out onto the street unexpectedly. Gates at every intersection would slow cyclists down incredibly!! There's a MUP here that has them ... I rode it once, and decided that I wouldn't do that again if I could help it because my average speed was about 4 mph with all the stopping and starting. If there were gates I can guarantee there would be very few cyclists who would use them!

3. What's to prevent other forms of transportation from using them? The idea behind bicycle paths was to have a place to ride bicycles ... and then roller bladers needed a place to do their thing, so rather than building a roller blader path, they allowed them on the bicycle paths. Then skateboarders wanted a place to do their thing ... and so on, and so on ... believe me if a designated bicycle path were built, it wouldn't be long before all sorts of methods of transportation were using it.

4. What's wrong with riding with the traffic?
In Manhattan at least, bike lanes on every street would require the elimination of on street parking. This would also have the benefit of reducing the number of cars in the city. Intersections could be handled with extra stop lights. Bike cops could police use of the bike lanes and a hard buffer could prevent car encroachment from cars. Since these lanes are for transport and not recreation, use of skateboards should be prohibited. Not sure about in-line skates.
Old 05-05-06, 01:17 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by adgrant
Intersections could be handled with extra stop lights. Bike cops could police use of the bike lanes and a hard buffer could prevent car encroachment from cars.
Where before the intersection does this hard stop end?
What about the intersections today that don't have lights?
If you imagine the real implementation of this it becomes a nightmare of complexity and massive expense.
Al
Old 05-05-06, 02:44 PM
Viggen Ed
Roadmaster.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I "live with" about 7 other people out here in Newport, which, aside from being completely full of drivers that I would love to see take a wrong turn into the Ocean, would be an excellent place to bike. Everything you could possibly need, including the workplace of 7 of the 8 of us, is within easy bike reach, NONE of those 7 are more than 8 miles from work. And on their way to work, they each pass grocery stores, hardware stores, gourmet restaurants, etc, along with 2 dunkin donuts each... It's all here!

And we're all friends, so they're willing to listen to me when I talk about bikes. I'm starting with getting them to bike to work. I think the easiest will be the guy that walks to work now, followed by my girlfriend, whose car is on it's last legs anyways. But it's tough; they're polite and willing to listen, but a real change in lifestyle really cant be forced on anyone. I can only hope my example of bike commuting and car use avoidance will get them started too.

Not gonna change the rest of the island or the government, but can find some good bike routes for those guys.
Old 05-05-06, 03:19 PM
adgrant

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Where before the intersection does this hard stop end?
What about the intersections today that don't have lights?
If you imagine the real implementation of this it becomes a nightmare of complexity and massive expense.
Al
Almost all intersections in Manhattan have lights.
Old 05-05-06, 05:25 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Rather than barricaded-off bicycle paths, I'd rather see the set-up that Canberra, Australia has. I was quite impressed with that.

I believe Davis, CA and Boulder, CO both had a similar set-up.
Old 05-05-06, 05:55 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I sent to the Bloomington Minnesota planning division, the Richfield Minnesota public works department, and the Minneapolis Minnesota Bicycle Advisory Committee, a CD containing a copy of the "City of Cyclists" video that I heard about on Bikeforums. I'm sure it was a waste of time, but that was such a good movie I just had to share.

I had another idea that keeps coming back to me. I have found in my limited time on the street a number of spots where just a little modification would make a big difference in the ease of travelling by bicycle. Usually it is things like an extra two feet of width in the right-most lane, or a cut in a curb that would allow easier access to a parking lot from a less busy street. I thought of making a web site of such places in my own town, putting it up with a few examples, and then inviting others to provide their examples from all over town. Then, if I could get enough, I could present them to the city's bicycle advisory committee and see if anyone would do anything about them.
Old 05-05-06, 06:54 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by swwhite
Usually it is things like an extra two feet of width in the right-most lane

This is exactly what Canberra, Davis, and Boulder have ... except theirs are "lanes". And I like that idea very much.

You can see a picture of the Canberra one on this site:
https://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...MISC-BR-1.html
(this is not my photo or site, so I'm not sure what all is on it, but it does have a great shot of the street)
https://p.vtourist.com/2675861-Pic_fr...llerybcbr2005-

I suggested (in letters, calls, documents, etc. etc. until I was blue in the face) paving the shoulders of some of the outlying roads within the city limits of Winnipeg when they were in the process of paving those streets anyway (one in particular was gravel for the first few years I lived there). They paved the road, but left the shoulders gravel. I just don't get it ... it's not like they had to widen the road or remove buildings or sidewalks ... all they had to do was to add a foot or two of pavement on either side of the road when they were out there paving it anyway.

If cities are that reluctant to spend the money for a tiny bit of extra pavement, there's no way they would go to all the trouble to build barricaded or completely separated lanes.
Old 05-05-06, 07:17 PM
scottmorrison99
New! With Self Loathing!

Bikes: 2013 Jamis Xenith T time trial bike, 2013 Jamis Xenith Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have written to the editor of my local paper, I am in contact with my local transportation authority, learning about local plans to encourage bicycle commuting, and appeared on MSNBC Wednesday morning promoting bicycle commuting. Write your local paper and try to get a report onto your local TV or radio station. Promote the financial and physical benefits, because if people were considering the environment they wouldn't be driving alone in SUVs.

Weird Bike Guy Blog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.