Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Novara Safari, Randonee, or ?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-04, 11:17 PM
jw953

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a bike that would hold up to a trip to Asia (India and Nepal) and possibly some riding in S America. I have been looking at these two REI bicycles and am wondering if they would be up to extended loaded touring on various surfaces. What immediate upgrades would benefit each? Or would something else altogether be preferable? Thanks in advance for any help.
JW
Old 02-25-04, 01:04 AM
tkehler

Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Depends on your budget. Seems to me that there are handbuilt bikes for thousands of dollars and then there are cheaper bikes, including the budget bikes you mentioned.

Why not a Trek 520, as long as you get solid front/rear racks, and a lower geared triple (LX or XT)?

Read up on Bruce Gordon, including his FAQ page. Pricey but it'll give you something to aim for, even if you construct a 'replica' so to speak.
Old 02-25-04, 02:40 AM
hakka_lugi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do not think of Novara bicycles as "budget". REI brand (under the paint) is the same as many other high production name brands. I like the Randonnee over the Safari. There are a lot of reasons to choose either one, but me it's wheel size. The Safari has cool features, but some are going to hard to replace or "MacGuyver" in foreign countries. I've own 2 Randonnees and loved both as I traveled on them. One was smashed and I sold the other one prior to a move. I wish I still had my Randonnee a lot of times. I've ridden rough roads fully loaded on the Randonnee...it handles very well. Get the Randonnee.
Old 02-25-04, 04:33 AM
tkehler

Location: My family and I -- wife and two young children -- live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Bikes: TST ti 'cross bike (commuter); Guru ti road bike; recumbent; Airnimal Chameleon folding racing bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hakka_lugi
I do not think of Novara bicycles as "budget". REI brand (under the paint) is the same as many other high production name brands. I like the Randonnee over the Safari. There are a lot of reasons to choose either one, but me it's wheel size. The Safari has cool features, but some are going to hard to replace or "MacGuyver" in foreign countries. I've own 2 Randonnees and loved both as I traveled on them. One was smashed and I sold the other one prior to a move. I wish I still had my Randonnee a lot of times. I've ridden rough roads fully loaded on the Randonnee...it handles very well. Get the Randonnee.

I'm sure it's a fine bike. I've only tried one at REI. But it IS budget.

Don't take my word for it. Here's a list of touring bikes available (most well-known brands). Check and compare.

https://www.anymouse.org/bikes.pl?AllBikes
Old 02-25-04, 12:46 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The Bruce Gorden BLT (esp in its 26" wheel version), is a good model for what you need. Also check out the Thorn EXP. They are both more expensive, but you can build lookalikes.
REI used to be sound, but these models will need some different components. The usual suspects for changing are the cranks, rack and shifters. You also want to lose the suspension seatpost.
Old 02-25-04, 04:04 PM
jw953

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have read literature on the Thorn bicycles. Are they available in America?
Old 02-25-04, 04:34 PM
Kodama
Quietly Desperate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I talked about my Safari in this thread here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=45042

But I'll answer any other questions you may have. The Safari was a great bike for the resources I had at the time and I haven't had much complaints with it. The gear ratios are good for loaded touring, the handlebars are very comfortable. The suspension seat post was fine, though when I switched to a Brooks b.67 I replaced it. It is a great commuter/everyday bike.

However for touring in a completely out of the way place I would be more inclined toward a steel bike. A backyard smithy could fix a broken frame in that situation. But these guys took two 2002 Sarfari's from Alasaka to Tierra del Fuego, with apparently little complaint.
Old 11-14-05, 07:55 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Harris Cyclery is the first and only distributor in the US. At least that's what their web page states.
Old 11-15-05, 12:15 AM
carless
Fatties Fit Fine

Bikes: Bianchi (2), Surly w/ couplers, REI tourer, Giant OCR Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hakka_lugi
I second that.
Old 11-15-05, 01:45 AM
Thor29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the Novara Randonee is a perfectly decent touring bike although in the same price range I would probably buy a Bianchi Volpe or Trek 520 instead. The Trek 520 is set up a lot closer to how I would (and did) build a bike. It has V-brakes and bar end shifters - better braking power, more robust/simpler shifters. It has lower gearing via a mountain rear derailleur and cassette. The only thing I don't like is the standard road triple in front. I would've spec'd a 48/36/24 instead.
Old 11-15-05, 10:20 AM
vadopazzo

Bikes: Trek 520, Novara Safari

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am new to touring but my experienceso far is near my home in Arizona where I've got rough mountain dirt roads to ride. I've got a Trek 520 and I now have a Safari on order ('05 model because the '06 is a step down for touring). The 520 with 37mm tires just can't cut it on the mountain roads loaded (not comfortably anyway) I can't get a bigger tire in there with fenders. I would definitely steer anyone going into the "third world" to get a bike w/ 26" wheels and steel frame. 700c tires I hear are hard to find outside of Europe and US. Plus long hours on dirt roads need a fat tire (IMO).

I spoke with HarrisCyclery about getting a Thorn. They told me that they can't get their built-in-England frames - the exp for example. I don't know where the Nomad is made and if it might be available in the US.

I would have loved to buy a Thorn but the expense and then the hassle of getting it built was too much. I am not planning on going outside the US for now so the Safari, I hope, will be fine for me.

A major advantage of getting a Thorn or other high-end frame is the option of getting couplings on the frame so it can be disassembled and the whole bike can fit into a suitcase making flights to other countries much simpler.

Just my two cents.
Old 11-15-05, 10:21 AM
Tom808

Bikes: Dahon Presto, Trek MTB, Randonee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just noticed the gearing on the 2006 Randonee has been improved. They have switched to MB components to provide 26/36/48 up front with 11-34 in back. This is a considerable improvement over last years gearing and that offered by Trek with the 520.
Old 11-15-05, 05:31 PM
kevink159

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Safari, and I feel comletely confident taking it anywhere. I am quiting my job on Feb 1, and touring New Zealand for 2 months. When I get back, I am living off my bike until at least September of next year. I will be in the Rocky mountians the entire time. If I had any doubt about my bike, I would get a new one
Old 11-15-05, 08:19 PM
mtnroads

Bikes: Spec Roubaix Expert, Cannondale CAAD12, Jamis Quest ELite, Jamis Dragon Pro, Waterford ST-22

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Thor29
I think the Novara Randonee is a perfectly decent touring bike although in the same price range I would probably buy a Bianchi Volpe or Trek 520 instead. The Trek 520 is set up a lot closer to how I would (and did) build a bike. It has V-brakes and bar end shifters - better braking power, more robust/simpler shifters. It has lower gearing via a mountain rear derailleur and cassette. The only thing I don't like is the standard road triple in front. I would've spec'd a 48/36/24 instead.
Both LBS I have talked to about a new 520 have stated that they would swap out the 105 crankset for an LX at either minimal or no extra charge when purchased. I think this is standard procedure, you just have to ask for it up front. If they won't do it, go somewhere else. Luckily, my older one came with it.
Old 11-15-05, 10:47 PM
knoxg
Knox Gardner

Bikes: Rodriguez Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Earlier this year, I did some touring clinics for REI here in Boston. As part of that, I talked a bit about these two bikes. I think either is a fine bike, and in fact, both have some nice features I wish my more expensive Rodriguez touring bike had. My recommendation though would be to ride as many touring bikes that you can find in the price range you've got, and pick the bike that is most comfortable.

I'm not terribly familiar with this "expedition" market that REI is trying to appeal to with the Safari...and my own experience is having 99.5% decent enough tarmac so my knowledge is a little deeper there. I was out this spring looking for a new touring specfic bike this spring with my partner. We live in the city, and so could with effort get our hands on a wide variety of bikes. In the more traditional market against the REI bike, and sitting at just about $1000 or under, you've got the Trek 520, the low end Bianci- Volpe (actually I think they repurposed their higher end touring bike to something else), the low end Cannondale- T800 (?), a Jamis Aurora, the lower end Canadian Davinci, the Fuji touring bike, and stretching the budget a little maybe, the Surly Long Hauler.

I can not recommend enough, that despite the horrible amount of time it might take since most shops will have one or two brands only, that you ride as many of the specfic touring bikes you can find, as they will all be slightly different. I would also recommend that you ride at least one or two of the more expensive bikes if you can find them. Then narrow down the ones you like and take those two or three for rides a bit (even if one of the best bikes is totally out of your budget). Then buy the bike that is most comfortable. With time, it seems to me that no matter what, you'll start tweaking and customizing it. Certain destinations might make you want to change some stuff here and there for example, but overall, you'll have the most comfortable bike in your price range. You'll likely find a bike in your price range that is more comfortable to you than a more expensive bike (so that will make you very happy), and you'll like ride a bike that will make you a bit lusty for the day you wear out your lower end bike after years and years of happy riding, and that's not a bad thing either (maybe you'll bike harder GRIN)...or perhaps you'll find yourself thinking instead of my first bike being the $$ bike, it is worth saving for another year for the $$$ bike. You just don't know until you've ridden as many of them as you can get your hands on.

Good luck!

Knox Gardner
www.bikenerd.blogspot.com
Old 11-19-05, 06:31 PM
BikePackin

Bikes: Bikes/related gear for bikepacking.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jw953
I am looking to buy a bike that would hold up to a trip to Asia (India and Nepal) and possibly some riding in S America. I have been looking at these two REI bicycles and am wondering if they would be up to extended loaded touring on various surfaces. What immediate upgrades would benefit each? Or would something else altogether be preferable? Thanks in advance for any help.
JW
With the qualifications that (1) I have never owned/ridden an "expensive" touring bike and that (2) I really like the freedom of being able to ride on and off pavement as I tour.... I have ridden a Safari for 5 years all over the Rockies and The Blue Ridge Parkway, and on alot of flat terrain, both on and off pavement and with only the addition of grannie gearing, a saddle to my preference, and some Flak Jacket inserts in the tires I am maybe uninformed and happy; however, sense no need to invest more money in a fancier steed.... instead spent the the rest of the piggie bank on the best water proof panniers + ponco + camping gear I could find. Wish you the best with your quest to find the right ride :- ).