Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone biked the Kancamagus Scenic Byway in New Hampshire

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-10, 12:55 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

Had a coworker just come back from a vacation in the NE and sent us some pics. It reminds me a lot of the Blue Ridge Parkway and looks like a good road to take a bike on.

Kancamagus Scenic.JPG
Old 10-16-10, 06:04 AM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Never biked it but have motorcycled it many times. Fantastic road, great views, steep hills and you can go to North Conway after for good places to eat and stay!
Old 10-16-10, 08:13 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
WIfe and I drove it a few years back. Beautiful road, there was a lor of construction. I didn't check out shoulders, etc., however. Very scenic, I believe it was about 40 miles????
Old 10-18-10, 12:34 PM
Suzie Green
Cycler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have ridden across the "Kanc" at least a dozen times. Yes there is often ongoing construction, and you may also end up competing with the camper-towing cars for road space. Best times are usually mid-week as the weekends are notorious for tourist traffic. And Fall foliage season can be hectic as well. Late September through mid October for that. A couple of times I'd started at Loon Mt ski area on the western end, and ridden a century ride, going up through Franconia Notch via the bike path (required because of I-93 being off limits to cyclists), then across to Twin Mountain, down Rt 302 and Rt 16 to Conway and back across the Kanc. You can shorten that loop a bit by taking Bear Notch Rd from Bartlett and intersecting the Kanc around 10 miles from the eastern end. That cuts out cycling through the busy center of North Conway and makes the ride around 85 miles or so. There are campgrounds (state run) on the Kanc in about 4 places that are usually crowded on the weekends but often have available space during mid-week. First come, first served basis, no reservations.