Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Best large volume commuting tire

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-14, 07:57 AM
Erik_A

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

What is your recommendation for a large volume commuting tire in 700c x 34c-40c size that would fit a cyclocross bike. I want a smooth tread tire, that is large enough to smooth out broken urban pavement, and with decent puncture resistance.
Old 11-04-14, 08:46 AM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think it is really hard to top the Panaracer Pasela TG, it is pretty affordable, seems to last forever and still rolls good. It also comes in a number of different sizes. Panaracer: Professional Bike Tires from Panasonic | Urban
Old 11-04-14, 09:53 AM
Erik_A

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chriskmurray
I think it is really hard to top the Panaracer Pasela TG, it is pretty affordable, seems to last forever and still rolls good. It also comes in a number of different sizes. Panaracer: Professional Bike Tires from Panasonic | Urban
Thanks I will check out the PASELA TG's
Old 11-04-14, 10:25 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Panaracer Pasela PTs (formerly called TGs) or Vittoria Voyager Hypers are both available in 32s and 35s, and with lighter-weight folding beads. Both would be excellent choices for your intended use.
Old 11-04-14, 10:34 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
It depends what you mean by "best". If money is not a big concern, the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme (the supreme part is the most important part of the name) is the best tire you can get, in many people's opinion. It's definitely not the cheapest though. It's a very, very comfortable tire with excellent grip and good puncture resistance.
Old 11-04-14, 10:38 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
For commuting, I like tires with a reflective sidewall. The continental touring plus is a good choice for a large volume touring tire with a reflective sidewall.
Old 11-04-14, 10:45 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Pasalas are the best tires I've found. Long life, good ride, excellent flat resistance. Around here we ride on wide, glass/thorn covered shoulders, Pasalas TG/PT never let me down. If you're going cheaper, I have found the PerformanceBike Metro-K tires aren't too bad.

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
...If money is not a big concern, the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme (the supreme part is the most important part of the name) is the best tire you can get....
Low quality but they make up for it with the highest prices. Total waste of money, esp for commuting.
Old 11-04-14, 10:53 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
That's the first time I've ever heard Marathons referred to as being low quality.
Old 11-04-14, 10:57 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
Low quality but they make up for it with the highest prices. Total waste of money, esp for commuting.
Sour grapes, I think.
Old 11-04-14, 11:17 AM
RatMudd
All Terrain UFO

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd go with Schwalbe. Check out their Marathon series. I'd also tell you to check out their balloon tires but they don't make the Big Ben or Big Apple in 700c.

Heres's the link to their "city/commuting" tires:
City / Touring | Schwalbe North America

Personally, I would go with a Marathon Plus or a Marathon Plus Tour. Bombproof and long living.
Old 11-04-14, 11:26 AM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Big Apples come in 50, 55 and 60-622 sizes, which should fit a 700c rim as long as it's wide enough.
Old 11-04-14, 11:38 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I love Marathon Supremes in 35 and 40 sizes....... soon to try 32 on the front of my Sirrus.
Old 11-04-14, 12:15 PM
PaulRivers

The Marathon Supremes are some of the highest quality tires you can buy. Their only drawback is a higher cost.
Old 11-04-14, 01:17 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm very happy with my Schwalbe Marathon Mondials (700x40) in the folding version... so far so good.

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/tour-read...n-mondial.html

Last edited by asmac; 11-04-14 at 01:30 PM.
Old 11-04-14, 04:06 PM
OneLessFixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're 700x32, but I'm happy with my Vittoria Randonneur Pros, even though I did get my first flat with them last night. They ride nice and have been amazingly resilient even as my daily commute takes me over glass-strewn cracked pavement through several bad neighbourhoods in south Seattle.
Old 11-04-14, 05:03 PM
RatMudd
All Terrain UFO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One reason to get Marathon Plus rather than Marathon Supreme. Watch entire video!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz8fT13rtlk

Not exactly scientific but it encourages my decision with Plus's.
Old 11-04-14, 05:25 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr IGH
Care to explain that? Schwalbe makes high-quality tires,and the Supremes are some of their best. I've gotten air under my rear wheel twice while panic braking on a steep downhill(once in the rain!) with Supremes,and in both instances was able to safely stop. I've picked over a dozen bits of FOD out of the rear without a flat. And they even make my all-alloy Pt Reyes ride good.

Erik_A,another vote for Marathon Supremes here. Expensive,but worth every penny. Super grippy,excellent protection,good ride.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 11-04-14, 09:21 PM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by RatMudd
One reason to get Marathon Plus rather than Marathon Supreme. Watch entire video!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uz8fT13rtlk

Not exactly scientific but it encourages my decision with Plus's.
Great video, hadn't seen that one. They're both great tires, it's a matter of priorities. The Marathon Plus's give up some speed, ride quality, weight, and some other stuff in exchange one of the most puncture resistant tires available - possibly the #1 most puncture resistant tire possible.

The Supreme's go in the other direction - prioritizing ride quality, then grip (not saying because I don't know if they're grippier than the plus's, just that the supreme's are very grippy even in the wet), weight, etc with good puncture protection, though not the same level as the Plus's.
Old 11-04-14, 10:13 PM
RatMudd
All Terrain UFO

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Great video, hadn't seen that one. They're both great tires, it's a matter of priorities. The Marathon Plus's give up some speed, ride quality, weight, and some other stuff in exchange one of the most puncture resistant tires available - possibly the #1 most puncture resistant tire possible.

The Supreme's go in the other direction - prioritizing ride quality, then grip (not saying because I don't know if they're grippier than the plus's, just that the supreme's are very grippy even in the wet), weight, etc with good puncture protection, though not the same level as the Plus's.
Yes, you are very correct. I should have mentioned the trade offs.
Old 11-04-14, 11:25 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
I love that video!

I bought a pair of Vittoria Voyager Hyper tires in 37mm, but silly me, I don't have a bike they'll fit on. They're still in the boxes if anyone wants to take them off my hands.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-04-14, 11:27 PM
AlTheKiller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The Rivendell Jack Brown "green" as far as ride quality, big round profile, weight, etc. though no flat protection to speak of (I have had zero flats on these). If you want more flat protection the blue version has the same nice profile and size, with increased weight and decreased suppleness.

Listed as 700x33.33333, mine measured out to 35mm wide on my narrow ish wheels the first day I mounted them up. I know many tires relax and widen even more after time spent inflated, maybe I should measure again. They come in weighing an impressive ~295g. Which is much lighter than most tires I used to commute on that were over ten mm less in width.

The ride is superb, and they are FAST. if you have never ridden a low weight, higher volume tire, you're missing out. Don't think I can ever go down to an anorexic 25mm tire again.

The tire is a slick, the "tread you see is just a very fine checkerboard effect of alternate, tiny grooving.
Old 11-05-14, 07:50 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I ran Rivendell Jack Browns on my cross bike for a year, but the rear tire was trashed due to a sidewall cut by a rock. They are nice tires, but I don't feel they are worth the premium price compared to Panaracer Pasela PTs. I can buy Pasela PTs (which are folders) for $35 each at my local bike shop, and Jack Browns cost about $60 each when you factor in shipping costs. If the prices were the same or even closers, I might buy Jack Browns again, but they are not worth the price differential to me.
Old 11-05-14, 10:33 AM
PaulRivers

Originally Posted by RatMudd
Yes, you are very correct. I should have mentioned the trade offs.
You didn't have to or anything, just wanted to follow up on the differences. Like I said that video was really interesting. :-)
Old 11-05-14, 01:52 PM
AlTheKiller

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tarwheel
I ran Rivendell Jack Browns on my cross bike for a year, but the rear tire was trashed due to a sidewall cut by a rock. They are nice tires, but I don't feel they are worth the premium price compared to Panaracer Pasela PTs. I can buy Pasela PTs (which are folders) for $35 each at my local bike shop, and Jack Browns cost about $60 each when you factor in shipping costs. If the prices were the same or even closers, I might buy Jack Browns again, but they are not worth the price differential to me.
Not really comparable to the jb greens, nearly double the weight and obviously much tougher. I'd put these more in the category of people who want a fast road racing type tire, but with more volume. And the price is comparable to other tires in the racy category. Once you get into the heavier, slower rolling, "tour" type tires normally the price goes down and ruggedness goes way up. A very good trade off for most people. But for people who want fast and voluminous, I'm not sure if there is a better tire.

I like to put it out there as an option, because most people are under the assumption that "fast"tires don't exist past 28. I certainly don't think it's the best choice for most people looking for voluminous tires, but I do like getting the word out.
Old 11-05-14, 02:36 PM
tarwheel 

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I weighed my Jack Brown Greens and Pasela PT 32s when new on an electronic scale, and both weighed 350 grams. The Jack Browns are a little wider though, about 2 mm. The Paselas also have a kevlar belt to help with flat resistance. You can get that with Jack Brown Blues, but they weigh much more than 350g.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.