Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

My Quarantine Conversion Project

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-21, 09:23 PM
Topless68

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Moutain Solo CXR, 1985 Norco Avanti SL, 2004 Raleigh Tomahawk ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 19 Posts

Hey All, I've been poking around on here, asking questions, looking for advice, and over the last few weeks, I've been working on converting an old Norco Avanti SL to a single speed. I've finished my mods and adding the new parts. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. Still need to make some fitment adjustments.

where it started

nasty handlebar wrap, seat, cables, cracked tires, wobbly rims

final conversion
Likes For Topless68:
Old 05-20-21, 09:41 PM
ethet 
Catastrophe Merchant

Bikes: Keirin and a Steamroller

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 58 Posts
It is obvious that the frame is a bit small for you and I just want to put that out there so that we can all acknowledge it and move on...

I do love what you have done with the conversion and the chainline seems alright... I do really love the tan-wall tires when matched with the gun-metal frame and ferocious chainguard: It looks apiece and dope. In all honesty, if I passed this bike on the street: my head would turn in acknowledgment and admiration as we passed by each other.
Old 05-20-21, 10:04 PM
Topless68

Bikes: 2011 Rocky Moutain Solo CXR, 1985 Norco Avanti SL, 2004 Raleigh Tomahawk ATB

Originally Posted by ethet
It is obvious that the frame is a bit small for you and I just want to put that out there so that we can all acknowledge it and move on...

I do love what you have done with the conversion and the chainline seems alright... I do really love the tan-wall tires when matched with the gun-metal frame and ferocious chainguard: It looks apiece and dope. In all honesty, if I passed this bike on the street: my head would turn in acknowledgment and admiration as we passed by each other.
thanks for the feedback. The seat post and stem need to be adjusted, haven't ridden it all back together yet. I think the tan sidewalks maintain that classic look, and they were cheap to boot.
Old 05-21-21, 03:05 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I know you don't really need it but I would get a chain tensioner that screws into the derailleur hanger. One thing that bugs me about conversions is an empty hole hanging down like that. I'm going to convert my MTB and mine is set up for SS with chain tension screws but I wish there was something I could screw into the hole just for better looks. Someone ought to make something like that and sell it.
Old 05-21-21, 07:35 AM
Topless68

I get your thoughts Lazyass. Most MTB conversions need a tensioner because they have vertical dropouts, and not way to adjust the chain tension. The legacy derailleur hanger does sort of look like a 6th toe or something...a little something left behind. I've seen some guys take a cut off wheel and get rid of it, but i'm not ready repaint, so I don't really want to start exposing bare metal until i'm going to recoat it.
Old 05-21-21, 02:28 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
The bike turned out way better than I thought it would -- the dangling hanger is the mark of authenticity for conversionheads. I'd ditch the interrupters for regular hooded brake levers just to have that position.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 05-22-21, 07:27 AM
Topless68

Removed the small chainring and had a buddy 3D print some spacers for the free hub.

Old 05-25-21, 07:14 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I'd ditch the interrupters
Looking good! But i agree with Rolla to ditch the interrupters.
Consider a bullhorn bar with TT levers to stretch out the cockpit a bit....
Old 07-13-21, 02:42 PM
Topless68

I took some of the advice you guys provided and swapped out the interrupters for a set of road-style brake levers. I'll admit, i much prefer the feeling of riding on the hoods, and not have to quickly move my hands to use the brakes. Also, cleans up the area in front of the flats.
Likes For Topless68:
Old 07-13-21, 02:58 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Looks sharp!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498