Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Chainstay cracked from frozen water (probably)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-21, 01:12 PM
Krov9

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 25 Posts

I went to see this Bianchi some time ago. I knew from the seller's pictures it had quite lot of surface rust, but it was affordable for being a lugged Bianchi and roughly my size, which doesn't come around that often.

To my disappointment I noticed there was more damage than I had expected. The non-driveside chainstay was bulging some 5 mm underneath, paint was peeling around it and there was a roughly 1" long visible crack along the bottom of the bulge. My guess is it has somehow gathered water at somepoint, and left outside the water has frozen and expanded, causing the tube to bulge and eventually, crack.

The seller said he hadn't noticed it being there before, and offered to take it to his friend's car repair shop to be welded. I'm concerned whether it's likely for it to have have rusted through on wide areas, under the paint etc. and that the car guy couldn't fix it properly because the tubes would have too thin walls or too little unaffected metal to work with.

Now, what would it take to make this frame safe to ride? I've figured changing the chainstay by a professional framebuilder (which we don't have many around here) would be more than double the original asking price for the whole bike.
I don't need the fix to look like new or to shave grams, it's fine as long as it will not kill (or seriously maim) me, if you get the point.

I just want a frame to build up with some old thrifted components I've gathered, and affordable, small enough for me, lugged steel frames are few and far between.

Do you think the car repairman could weld this so it wwould be safe to ride? As far as I know, the main triangle (3tubi) is made of Oria Cro-mo and the rest is propably hi-ten, if that makes any difference.

underneath the chainstay

rust on down tube too
Old 10-30-21, 01:35 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
If the bike had good middle to upper tier components (which in your specific bike look to be low tiered ones), I'd buy it to scavenge them; too many risks (has it had frozen water in other tubes; how much and how deep is the inside rust; how sound is the frame in general, how long before it is unsafe; how much to invest to make it rideable versus looking for another model;...?) for my way of thinking. If you really like it, and it is somewhat a kind of Holy Grail for you, by all means go ahead but, if you can, wait for something better to come along. Good luck with whatever you set your mind, as it only has to satisfy you!
Old 10-30-21, 03:47 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
If I were to find this on one of my bikes I might just ride it till it gave up and finally did something... break completely or bend everything to uselessness.

I'd never buy a bike already in this condition unless I was very very desperate.

I'm not so much in favor of just a little weld to fix just the hole/crack not knowing what other areas might be thin already too. If the entire tube can't be replaced, I'd be more in favor of brazing a cuff made from a piece of another tube around it. But that might present it's own issues, though I doubt if would be worse than doing nothing.
Old 10-30-21, 04:02 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 2,056 Posts
Hard Pass.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-30-21, 05:13 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If I were to find this on one of my bikes I might just ride it till it gave up and finally did something... .
You would actually ride this bike? Me, I would trash the frame.
Old 10-30-21, 05:54 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
......I would trash the frame.
+1. If the damage you can see is that bad, how much damage is there that you can't see. Find another frame.
Old 10-30-21, 06:05 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
You seem to stress the fact this bike is lugged which I assume you place some value in. There is no advantage in a lugged bike over say a tig welded frame and in many cases the tig welded frame would be preferred. A cheap rusty lugged frame is just that. No matter what your financial situation there is no reason to consider purchasing this frame.
Old 10-30-21, 08:38 PM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,258 Times in 663 Posts
Toast
Old 10-30-21, 08:51 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
Be glad you noticed this before you made the purchase and just walk away.

Old 10-30-21, 09:23 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Last week in the garage two of the mechanics has removed a body from the frame on a pickup. I asked them why, and they said it was rusted to the point where it was not safe. I looked at it and remarked that it looked fairly solid. They replied that the trouble spot is on the inside of the frame and it has become two thin to be safe.
It is the damage that can't be seen that is the problem. Find something else.
Old 10-30-21, 10:09 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Last week in the garage two of the mechanics has removed a body from the frame on a pickup. I asked them why, and they said it was rusted to the point where it was not safe. I looked at it and remarked that it looked fairly solid. They replied that the trouble spot is on the inside of the frame and it has become two thin to be safe.
It is the damage that can't be seen that is the problem. Find something else.
Toyota? Had a boss who bought a Tacoma from a friend and noticed a noise after a few weeks. Took it to the local dealer and 3 weeks later had a new truck, the old frame was rusted through from the inside and about to snap in half with stress cracks already forming. Was considered unsalvageable.

OP, what you can see is the tip of the iceberg, there are much nicer bikes out there.
Old 10-31-21, 05:57 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I'd say t hat if that frame was ridden, especially at speed, an hit a bump or pothole that it might break. I think that frame if ridden would be an accident just waiting to happen. Old Mr. Murphy says t hat when something breaks it does so at the worst possible moment.

Cheers
Old 10-31-21, 07:16 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Our local framebuilder charges US$150 to replace a chainstay without paint, which would be most of the bottom bracket area and all of the dropout burnt and I would bet he would tell you he will have to charge you something for time to even see if he is willing to replace that stay.
Old 10-31-21, 11:40 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
You would actually ride this bike? Me, I would trash the frame.
Yes. Until it gave an issue by bending or breaking or new bike fever grabbed me.

Then I too would just trash the bike and send it to the scrapyard. Hopefully to be melted and made into something new.

I can't imagine ever wanting to buy a bike that isn't already in virtually perfect condition.