Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Ghost dismount

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Ghost dismount

Old 11-20-21, 04:07 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 785 Post(s)
Liked 500 Times in 317 Posts
Ghost dismount

I’m 69 years old and have been dealing with age as we all must. I had a Biria low entry bike for about 6 years and loved that thing. But then one day the frame broke in half coming home from a ride, right in my driveway. My main problem is getting on and off, my old legs find it difficult to do that. The Biria solved that problem but I was never really happy about riding a “girls” bike.

Meanwhile I had bought a Linus 8, had only ridden it a couple of times. Getting on was a problem solved by leaning back on the wall of my garage. Taking a break during my ride was easy enough by holding onto the rack at the park and walking over to a picnic table. Coming home, I could lean back on a car in the driveway and swing my leg over. Good to still be riding.

Still not feeling confident of riding anywhere and getting on or off. There are places to go that I didn’t feel comfortable that I could get on or off.

So today I came home, up the driveway ready to get off, looking for a car to lean against and instead just swung my leg over and was standing there not even near the target car. Took me a moment to realize that I just had dismounted like I used to. Wow!

Maybe I had been thinking too much about my legs and how it’s all got to work but now with all the crazy news I forgot about that and I just went ahead and did it.

It’s a great feeling. Thanks for reading.
Old 11-20-21, 04:44 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Good on you, I always write these type of happy mistakes as, “Even a blind hawg roots up an occasional acorn.” Put one in the win column for the good guys👍

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Likes For qcpmsame:
Old 11-20-21, 07:26 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
One time in street clothes and loose shorts on my commuter bike, I tried a cowboy mount as I left the parking spot in the company garage. My left foot was on the pedal and I was swinging my right leg over the saddle with a half pedal stroke so I had minimal momentum... and my shorts got caught on the nose of the saddle and this is my fixed gear so the crank kept turning and my foot was still on the pedal and my shorts were caught and I managed to hold it together until I got to a structural column to stop at with a very slow speed and semi-controlled collision. It was glorious and embarrassing at the same time.
Old 11-20-21, 09:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
One time in street clothes and loose shorts on my commuter bike, I tried a cowboy mount as I left the parking spot in the company garage. My left foot was on the pedal and I was swinging my right leg over the saddle with a half pedal stroke so I had minimal momentum... and my shorts got caught on the nose of the saddle and this is my fixed gear so the crank kept turning and my foot was still on the pedal and my shorts were caught and I managed to hold it together until I got to a structural column to stop at with a very slow speed and semi-controlled collision. It was glorious and embarrassing at the same time.
You just reminded my of my funniest crash (and first on my brand new Mooney). A summer morning in Santa Cruz. Morning fog and cool. I was riding up the parkway on the UCSC campus, divided with a curbed and extensively planted meridian. Easy grade so I had good speed. Started the ride wearing two jerseys, SS over LS. I was getting warm.

For a little story background, that was my first post-racing year. My Mooney (built for me to be a fine performing distinct non-racer) was MUCH easier no-handing than my pure crit Fuji Pro. I loved doing stuff I would never attempt on the Pro.

So "I bet I could just pull off my jersey while I ride. No traffic at all so why not?" Sat up, accidentally grabbed both jerseys and pulled.Got all the way to the human football goal post with attached net and - oops, I forgot to unzip my LS jersey! And I'm wearing a Bell Biker! Stuck. Well, all not is lost. I can see (sorta) with my arms aimed forward or I could reach down, grab the bars and see nothing but my front wheel. Either/or. As slowed, my swings while I was holding the bars got wilder. Eventually I saw the meridian curb - 6" in front of my wheel. Hit it gently and fell over. Lying in the fast lane on a California parkway! With my head wrapped in two jerseys!

I got myself extricated and continued on like that little chapter never happened. (Pretty sure there were no human witnesses.)

Thanks Scott, I haven't thought of this in decades.
Old 11-21-21, 07:39 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
What's a ghost dismount?
Old 11-21-21, 08:43 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
At our age, there are no such things as girl’s bikes and boy’s bikes - unfortunately we are waaaay past that - literally and figuratively. Just pedal on.

www.somafab.com - Check out Buena Vista

I’m saving this bike for an unknown future home and time in flatterlandia.

And there are other members who will recommend a recumbent. Undoubtedly!
Old 11-23-21, 09:57 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
At our age, there are no such things as girl’s bikes and boy’s bikes - unfortunately we are waaaay past that - literally and figuratively. Just pedal on.

www.somafab.com - Check out Buena Vista

I’m saving this bike for an unknown future home and time in flatterlandia.

Well I do like how easy it is to get on and off my "recumbent"! But they are not everyone's cup of tea!

Likes For bjjoondo:
Old 11-25-21, 07:48 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Unless it's a lowracer like my avatar bike, or a trike, the issue still exists and you'd have to worry about getting your foot over a top bar of 20-26 inches high. I know of one guy who had to lay the bike (recumbent) on the ground, step over it, and pick it up between his legs. It seems that it'd be easier doing some stretches.
Old 11-25-21, 10:03 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
I’m 69 years old and have been dealing with age as we all must. I had a Biria low entry bike for about 6 years and loved that thing. But then one day the frame broke in half coming home from a ride, right in my driveway. My main problem is getting on and off, my old legs find it difficult to do that. The Biria solved that problem but I was never really happy about riding a “girls” bike.

Meanwhile I had bought a Linus 8, had only ridden it a couple of times. Getting on was a problem solved by leaning back on the wall of my garage. Taking a break during my ride was easy enough by holding onto the rack at the park and walking over to a picnic table. Coming home, I could lean back on a car in the driveway and swing my leg over. Good to still be riding.

Still not feeling confident of riding anywhere and getting on or off. There are places to go that I didn’t feel comfortable that I could get on or off.

So today I came home, up the driveway ready to get off, looking for a car to lean against and instead just swung my leg over and was standing there not even near the target car. Took me a moment to realize that I just had dismounted like I used to. Wow!

Maybe I had been thinking too much about my legs and how it’s all got to work but now with all the crazy news I forgot about that and I just went ahead and did it.

It’s a great feeling. Thanks for reading.
at 82, still able to swing my leg over the saddle for both mounting and dismounting. And, I have very short legs, taking the 29 inseam. I have friends who can no longer do that. I feel lucky. I also stretch like crazy
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 11-26-21, 10:03 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Frame breakage is a risk with low entry bikes like the Biria. If they make the frames strong enough to resist breakage the bike will probably weigh close to 50 lbs.

If I get to the point where I can't swing a leg over the saddle, I'll consider a dropper seat post. They're common on some new mountain bikes and might be adaptable to others.

I resumed cycling in 2015, after needing a cane to walk for about 14 years after a 2001 car wreck busted up my neck, back, hips, everything. Even though my fitness improved to the point that I could ride a conventional road bike by 2017, I still had a lot of stiffness and limited mobility in my lower back and hips. But I didn't do anything to improve it.

In 2018 I was hit by a car again, busting up my shoulder and neck. I didn't want to completely lose fitness so I started taking long walks, up to 5 miles, a few times a week. For a few months my hips ached from long walks but full body scans showed no skeletal or joint problems below the lower back. Just muscle pain, so I persisted until the hip pain stopped. I continued walking more even after resuming cycling in late 2018.

By late 2020 I added jogging to my routine, along with more body-weight exercises to improve flexibility and strength, including balancing on one leg while doing range of motion with the other. And on my usual 5-7 mile jogging route, I'll stop at the 2.5 mile mark at the crest of a hill to do a few minutes of leg, hip and back exercises before resuming jogging. It's helped and I have fewer problems kicking a leg over the bike.

Unfortunately my neck vertebrae are worsening so my days are numbered on a conventional bike. I've ridden very little since September due to neck pain, and no exercising will fix that problem. It's bulged discs, stenosis and other problems. I might eventually need to consider a recumbent. But not yet.
Old 01-04-22, 04:42 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Originally Posted by bjjoondo
Well I do like how easy it is to get on and off my "recumbent"! But they are not everyone's cup of tea!
If I had access to a trail system like so many people in Colorado (and a few other places), then I would be looking at recumbents - maybe 2 of different styles.

Rightly or wrongly, I feel more visible and slightly less vulnerable riding diamond frame on the hilly, narrow public roads I ride. Further, I rise from the saddle for leverage on several climbs on every ride I take. Topography, for healthy living. Then there's the chain thing....

this is what SWMBO wanted - for visibility. Co-Motion with ghosted decals. Steel from the last millennia.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-04-22 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-05-22, 03:07 AM
fat biker

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Joe,

Mount, dismount, rinse & repeat...
All Great News!

fat biker, now in the new 180 lb version
Old 01-05-22, 08:03 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
[QUOTE=gobicycling;22320516]...I also stretch like crazy[/QUOTE
Very impressive, at 71 w/ long history of back trouble I am now having trouble with dismount range of motion. Daughter's have me doing Yoga but it is showing little if any help and is a pain to drive there. Can you specify what stretches have helped you? We are all very different but I would like to try something else.
Old 01-05-22, 06:01 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 380 Posts
When I was younger I used to go out on group rides with the Italians (Provencals), and one of the older guys rode a “girl” frame. I forget the make, but it was Reynolds 531 frame with the usual Campy Record components. This old guy was a little stiff when walking around, but he was damn fast on that bike.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 01-11-22, 01:17 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
If I had access to a trail system like so many people in Colorado (and a few other places), then I would be looking at recumbents - maybe 2 of different styles.

Rightly or wrongly, I feel more visible and slightly less vulnerable riding diamond frame on the hilly, narrow public roads I ride. Further, I rise from the saddle for leverage on several climbs on every ride I take. Topography, for healthy living. Then there's the chain thing....
My current short wheelbase recumbent bike is about due for a new chain. Tried to order a 12 foot chain from two normally-reliable online sources but both out of stock (supply chain issues, etc.) Got three normal sized chains instead - needs about two and a half. Bike not bad to get foot/leg over. Version with large front wheel more of a challenge for those without longish legs.

Last edited by JanMM; 01-11-22 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-11-22, 02:15 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked 2,953 Times in 1,601 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
When I was younger I used to go out on group rides with the Italians (Provencals), and one of the older guys rode a “girl” frame. I forget the make, but it was Reynolds 531 frame with the usual Campy Record components. This old guy was a little stiff when walking around, but he was damn fast on that bike.
This was required reading in my first semester Italian class. The professor said Don Camillo was a popular character in children's stories, and he rode a "woman's bike" because lots of families only had enough money to buy one bike so it made for easier sharing. Don Camillo would ride around the village nosing into people's personal business and solving little problems in clever ways.

Old 01-11-22, 02:21 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
I'm 68 and have no trouble mounting or dismounting a regular road bike. However, some time ago I injured myself to the point where I couldn't just swing my leg over. The solution was simple....to mount, just lay the bike down on the ground, step over it, and lift the bike up beneath me so that I was straddling the top tube. Dismount is the reverse of mounting. If following this procedure I don't see how there could be a problem...am I wrong about this?
Old 01-12-22, 07:41 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by davester
...am I wrong about this?
Exactly correct and I may get near there one day. We had a member of our "old duffers" riding group who could lean his bars down near the ground after putting the NDS pedal all the way up and get off and on, who rode with us for year or two that way. I know I should be able to do at least that but not lower my babies all the way to the ground.
Old 01-12-22, 12:53 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts
I cut the back of my calf the other day after dismounted like a rookie drew a good amount of blood. Chainrings are sharp.