Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano 9 speed cassette to 8 speed

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-22, 11:59 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts

My mountain bike has a Shimano 9 speed freehub and cassette. What would be involved to convert the cassette to 8 speed ?
I suppose the spacers are different thickness, so may be better off to just buy an 8 speed cassette ?
Old 01-10-22, 12:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Probably not, but it depends. If you have indexed shifting, it will not work because the spacing between cogs is different. However, some shifters of that vintage have a way to change to friction. If so, that will work.
Old 01-10-22, 12:06 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,436 Times in 818 Posts
You would pay more for the 8 speed spacers than you would for a cassette, and likely still have sub par shifting. 8 Speed cassettes can be found easily, and low cost with a bit of searching. Is the 8 speed for a different bike, or are you for some reason going to 8 speed shifters? As stated above, with friction shifting, it will work no problem.

Last edited by delbiker1; 01-10-22 at 12:07 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 01-10-22, 12:42 PM
frogman

It is friction shifting. Sounds like I would be better off to get an 8 speed cassette and be done with it. I really don't need
9 speeds on my mountainbike. I am thinking it might be a little smoother going to 8 speeds, maybe not but I will find out...................
Old 01-10-22, 02:54 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
I run 9 sp w/friction shifters on my touring bike. It works great. I wouldn't bother downgrading to 8 speed, maybe search for some 9sp shifters, provided your rear derailleur is a modernish index-shifting compatible model.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 01-10-22, 03:16 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
I don't know if you could tell much difference friction shifting 8 or 9, though in theory the fewer gears the better. Seems as if a set of indexed shifters would be a good choice for a mtb. Pretty sure all 8 and 9 speed mtbs came that way.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 01-10-22, 03:18 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,085 Times in 1,181 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
My mountain bike has a Shimano 9 speed freehub and cassette. What would be involved to convert the cassette to 8 speed ?
I suppose the spacers are different thickness, so may be better off to just buy an 8 speed cassette ?
Nothing gained. As long as the system is correctly tuned, 9 spd. shifts as well as 8 and as 7 and 10 and 11, etc......If you really wanted, you could dial in the low gear limit screw on the rear derailer, that would lock out the largest cog, or do the same on the other end, but why ?..
Old 01-10-22, 04:49 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
It is friction shifting. Sounds like I would be better off to get an 8 speed cassette and be done with it. I really don't need
9 speeds on my mountainbike. I am thinking it might be a little smoother going to 8 speeds, maybe not but I will find out...................
9 speed cassettes are available with more cog combinations than 8.

As far as friction shifting a greater number of cogs-
My friction shifting got better from 7 to 8 to 9.
It was simply a matter of ergonomics between my thumb and the shift lever, not cog spacing. YMMV.
Old 01-10-22, 05:33 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
9 speed cassettes are available with more cog combinations than 8.

As far as friction shifting a greater number of cogs-
My friction shifting got better from 7 to 8 to 9.
It was simply a matter of ergonomics between my thumb and the shift lever, not cog spacing. YMMV.

Thats interesting. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone. I see what you are saying about the ergonomics. Not neccessarily smoother but a tad more distance the thumb has to push the shift lever for each shift.
Old 01-10-22, 05:36 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Thats interesting. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone. I see what you are saying about the ergonomics. Not neccessarily smoother but a tad more distance
the thumb has to push the shift lever for each shift.
Sometimes simply rotating the shifter a "few" degrees on the bar can change the ergonomics for better/worse.
Old 01-11-22, 07:06 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Sometimes simply rotating the shifter a "few" degrees on the bar can change the ergonomics for better/worse.
Bill knows what he is talking about. I only discovered this recently after missing the final tightening of the shifters in a major overhaul and finding the shifters which were slightly loose settled in at a bit of an angle. I am now working through my other bikes.