Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

N+3 (old BMX bikes )

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

N+3 (old BMX bikes )

Old 01-11-22, 01:21 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,121 Times in 744 Posts
N+3 (old BMX bikes )

These bikes are all technically old --- but are repro's of classic machinery . The BMX section seems to cater more to new school interests and to people who actually ride these things than to someone like me -- plus 90% of my postings are in this area anyway

But bittersweet dragging these home. They belong to my now 18 year old nephew. The little Hoffman 16" bike i purchased for him when he was 3. The critter is a real freestyle/dirt jump spec machine and is built like a tank --- the axles are so beefy for a kids bike that the shop had to file the training wheel brackets extensively to get them to fit ---- But as of late has been sitting in my brother's attic for an unknown amount of time and has the resulting corrosion on the bare metal bits and chain to show for it . I'm going to restore it mechanically, but my brother and i both agreed it would be nice to find someone appreciative to "rehome" it to -- otherwise it will wind up as wall art

2nd up is a factory repro of the famous SE Quadangle . SE bikes has a guerilla marketing capaign on Instagram and other places that has upped the ante on the value of even the repro's to silly numbers considering they are pretty basic machines stock, but i purchased this for him when he was getting too big for the little pit bike -- i cant recall the year - maybe 2009? Christmas present. I'll likely never ride a 20" machine again, --- so another wall art project

NExt up is another repro - this one a 26" OM Flyer --- Was originally mine and i played around on BMX tracks and pump tracks with it a bit, but when the nephew started High School wrestling and was needing a cardio machine , i gifted it to him.
What goes around comes around i guess - so i think i will just see if the tires will hold air, then hit the pump track with it for old times sake

Old 01-11-22, 01:50 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Entertaining.
My BMX bikes were proto-bmx, or, what one could do with a Sting-Ray.
The cool kid a year ahead of me had a Slick Chick with extra welded up tubes and straps.
So, I bought a Pink Slick Chick from the local Schwinn shop for $25. "what do you want with a Girl's bike?"
took it apart and rode the frame over to a sandblaster (grave marker place) mitered up a tube to fit halfway up the stepthru, welding by Cycle Products West (motocross shop), painted it yellow, satin black fork
exchanged pedals, tires cut off the banana seat strut loop, moved the stays to the inside of the saddle, fender washers, no kickstand.
Rode that to school for two years, drafting a kid with a Raleigh International who could not understand why he could not drop me as he grinded it out in a 52x14.
Leg speed and drafting.
Sold it off at a modest profit and with the proceeds bought a used pair of Campagnolo pedals and Phil bottom bracket for my road bike.
Likes For repechage:
Old 01-11-22, 03:32 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
BMX stuff is crazy.
I'm still kicking myself for not buying my buddy's original OM Enduro (a Flyer with a derailleur hanger), especially after hearing he let it go for $450.
Old 01-11-22, 04:21 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
I would have murdered for a Quadangle BITD. Current prices make De Rosas look like chump change and I have no desire or ignorance to relive my youth.
Old 01-11-22, 07:23 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
That 26 OM FLYER looks like a fun bike. At 51 it may be time to give up the 20 inchers and go with a 26 cruiser. My Dirtbike still sees some ride time.
Old 01-11-22, 08:49 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked 454 Times in 294 Posts
Love the Quadangle colors. My Team Mongoose was red, black and gold. Raced it as a teenager and relegated it to campus runner all through college. Good times!
Likes For plonz:
Old 01-12-22, 06:50 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
That OM Flyer looks like a lot of fun. Nice haul.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 01-12-22, 08:37 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 959 Times in 625 Posts
By far, my highest return parts are BMX. And some MTB parts cross over to BMX, pedals for example. Its not unusual where the pedals are worth as much as the entire bike.
Old 01-13-22, 11:00 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by repechage
Entertaining.
My BMX bikes were proto-bmx, or, what one could do with a Sting-Ray.
The cool kid a year ahead of me had a Slick Chick with extra welded up tubes and straps.
So, I bought a Pink Slick Chick from the local Schwinn shop for $25. "what do you want with a Girl's bike?"
took it apart and rode the frame over to a sandblaster (grave marker place) mitered up a tube to fit halfway up the stepthru, welding by Cycle Products West (motocross shop), painted it yellow, satin black fork
exchanged pedals, tires cut off the banana seat strut loop, moved the stays to the inside of the saddle, fender washers, no kickstand.
Rode that to school for two years, drafting a kid with a Raleigh International who could not understand why he could not drop me as he grinded it out in a 52x14.
Leg speed and drafting.
Sold it off at a modest profit and with the proceeds bought a used pair of Campagnolo pedals and Phil bottom bracket for my road bike.

Thats some serious old school re-engineering !
Old 01-13-22, 11:03 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
BMX stuff is crazy.
I'm still kicking myself for not buying my buddy's original OM Enduro (a Flyer with a derailleur hanger), especially after hearing he let it go for $450.
They brought the concept back and now call it the "Speed Flyer" or something like that. But basically a 29" cruiser now with a rear derailleur . Looks like would be an interesting rig for someone who is an old BMX'er who cant fathom moving to a mountain bike
Old 01-13-22, 11:04 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by RustyJames
I would have murdered for a Quadangle BITD. Current prices make De Rosas look like chump change and I have no desire or ignorance to relive my youth.

For me it was the PK Ripper or any Hutch bmx bike --- but yes - prices for originals are way out of my league too
Old 01-13-22, 11:33 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
For me it was the PK Ripper or any Hutch bmx bike --- but yes - prices for originals are way out of my league too
PK Ripper was on the short list for me too. My lead-sled Mongoose sufficed. I think it cost my parents around $90 ~1980. My lucky brother was the recipient of the chrome/nickel plated frame version which I seem to recall was another $20-30. Lucky dog…
Old 01-14-22, 11:12 AM
DMC707

Originally Posted by RustyJames
PK Ripper was on the short list for me too. My lead-sled Mongoose sufficed. I think it cost my parents around $90 ~1980. My lucky brother was the recipient of the chrome/nickel plated frame version which I seem to recall was another $20-30. Lucky dog…

LOL -- you rich kids and your Mongoose's !

My BMX machine was a 330 Team Murray ! -- i remember saving my nickels for Mongoose style stems, V-BArs, matching pad sets , and Team Cycle Oakley 3 imitation grips ! -- i'd love to find one today in the condition of the one pictured here !