Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

100 meter bike races, building a bike for sprints.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

100 meter bike races, building a bike for sprints.

Old 01-12-22, 11:13 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Bikes: 1983 Ross Paragon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Well, just to give tou a goal, I ran the 100 yd sprint right at 11 sec when I was kid, and I was a distance runner
thats a fast 100 yards Doug! I was a 5k cc runner in high school, never was great at it. Never trained for sprinting. According to my DNA test I have the fast twitch gene so I guess I picked the wrong sports all these years. What were some of your distance times? 100m sprint all out on a bike is no joke though, its fast twitch fibers all the way. Felt like I did a set of heavy squats for reps. How fast do you think you can run the 100 yards now? What about with a bike? I tested myself today on the old Schwinn. My best of 3 runs all out 100% effort was 14 seconds flat in the 100 meters.
Old 01-12-22, 11:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Not sure who would want to watch it if a sprinter on foot can compete with them
Top Gear raced a Veyron against a Eurofighter. I watched it. It was good. The plane eventually caught up
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-13-22, 07:10 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by BikePower
I would love to see bike vs runner. I guess it would depend on the bike also, if it was just a cruiser or if it was made for sprinting. I wonder whats possible?
Huhza?
You would love to see it, but can’t find one friend, relative, or neighbor to race you on your bike?
Pretty sure that you should also be able to scrounge up a cruiser and another bike or two to explore all the amazing possibilities
Old 01-13-22, 09:43 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
What happens when you put the foot sprinter on a bike and the bike sprinter on foot?
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-13-22, 11:24 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
What happens when you put the foot sprinter on a bike and the bike sprinter on foot?
Interesting.
I think an even more relevant race would be two sprinters racing 100m while each carrying their bicycle.
Our own version of the current smash and grab trend going on in certain special cities
Old 01-13-22, 12:27 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
thats a fast 100 yards Doug! I was a 5k cc runner in high school, never was great at it. Never trained for sprinting. According to my DNA test I have the fast twitch gene so I guess I picked the wrong sports all these years. What were some of your distance times? 100m sprint all out on a bike is no joke though, its fast twitch fibers all the way. Felt like I did a set of heavy squats for reps. How fast do you think you can run the 100 yards now? What about with a bike? I tested myself today on the old Schwinn. My best of 3 runs all out 100% effort was 14 seconds flat in the 100 meters.
Eleven seconds is not that fast for the 100 yard dash. That was not a flat 11 seconds; it was somewhere between 11 and 12 seconds. I think high school kids are doing the 100 meters quicker than that today. The 100 m is about 9 yards longer than the 100 yards. I don't think I have a fast twitch muscle in my body. I had to quit running when I was 50. I crushed my ankle in an accident. Fortunately, It does not limit bike riding. I'm also turning 79 years old in march, that also slows me down a little

Some of my times: 10 k- 00:33, marathon- 2:40, 50 k- 3:15, 50 miles- a hair under 7 hours. OK times, but nothing to get excited about.

Good luck with your venture. It really does not matter how you ride a bike, or what kind of bike you ride. It just matters to be on the bike, and riding.

Last edited by Doug64; 01-13-22 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-13-22, 01:18 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Huhza?
You would love to see it, but can’t find one friend, relative, or neighbor to race you on your bike?
Pretty sure that you should also be able to scrounge up a cruiser and another bike or two to explore all the amazing possibilities
Ive got other bikes but its not easy to find someone that would be a challenge to me even if they did want to compete. The people I know prefer to watch television or take it easy on long slow distance rides. They don't have the power in their legs or fire in their belly to sprint. They certainly don't want to go all out 100% effort in any kind of race. lol Im trying to get away from the milk toast crowd anyway and make some friends that are more competition oriented.
Old 01-13-22, 01:20 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

probably a wash. I saw mike tyson playing basketball one time. It was kinda funny. (dont tell him I said that).
Old 01-13-22, 01:26 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Interesting.
I think an even more relevant race would be two sprinters racing 100m while each carrying their bicycle.
Our own version of the current smash and grab trend going on in certain special cities
or riding a bike while tethering another bike that is unmanned. The same crowd would excel at that.
Hillarious! But I have seen the Farmers Walk in crossfit and the worlds strongest man competition. They take a big weight in each hand and see who can get furthest with or or fastest down a given distance. I seen Franco Columbu race with a refrigerator on his back and broke his knee in half. That was so grusome.
Hey being able to sprint and accelerate quickly from a standing start on a bike could save your life if you are being chased by the same.
Likes For BikePower:
Old 01-13-22, 03:31 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
The best of those three bikes was the BMX. I think a 3 speed SA would be better. You know we dont have to have a friday night get together we can each run our bikes all out for 100m and post our times and our bikes and stats. Of course it would be honor system but that works as long as there is no cash money prizes.
Dude, you should just come out and do BMX racing. Races at the national this past weekend (8-9 Jan 22) were as fast as under 20sec with 3 corners.

Shifting will kill you in a sprint that short, BTW. There's a reason the MTB didn't win it.
Old 01-13-22, 03:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Eleven seconds is not that fast for the 100 yard dash. That was not a flat 11 seconds; it was somewhere between 11 and 12 seconds. I think high school kids are doing the 100 meters quicker than that today. The 100 m is about 9 yards longer than the 100 yards. I don't think I have a fast twitch muscle in my body. I had to quit running when I was 50. I crushed my ankle in an accident. Fortunately, It does not limit bike riding. I'm also turning 79 years old in march, that also slows me down a little

Some of my times: 10 k- 00:33, marathon- 2:40, 50 k- 3:15, 50 miles- a hair under 7 hours. OK times, but nothing to get excited about.

Good luck with your venture. It really does not matter how you ride a bike, or what kind of bike you ride. It just matters to be on the bike, and riding.
There were 12 kids who broke 11 seconds just in the Sacramento area last season.

https://www.athletic.net/TrackAndFie...116540&Event=1
Old 01-13-22, 03:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Bicycle drag racing is an idea that comes around. Not always seriously, and sometimes just trolling the forum rats. I can't find the thread now but there was a guy a couple of years ago who had everyone going with the giant sprocket he'd bought and how fast it would make him.
That thread was one of my all-time favorites--he was going to post a video of himself riding it but he couldn't hook up the computer or something:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...s-70t-pic.html

Hilarious stuff. I miss him.
Old 01-13-22, 08:03 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by wolfchild
For 100m sprint....Me personally I would choose a fixed gear with 44 x 16 gear ratio or something very close to it.
That would be 39/14 on my bike. 2.75 Im at 39/24 now. That would be a very slow start though but I will try it on my next run.
Old 01-13-22, 08:06 PM
BikePower
Time Traveler

Originally Posted by big chainring
Two speed kickback hub would be the way to go.
I think you might be right. I really only feel I need one shift. Do you happen to know the ratios for that hub? The shifting would be quick and seamless on that kickback hub but almost the same as a 3 speed where you have to pause for an instant as you shift the thumbsift and then pump like made once again.
Old 01-14-22, 06:50 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,029 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
That thread was one of my all-time favorites--he was going to post a video of himself riding it but he couldn't hook up the computer or something:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...s-70t-pic.html

Hilarious stuff. I miss him.
You know why there was never the follow up thread, right? The OP’s huge sprocket worked, he hit 88 MPH and happened to get struck by lightning at that exact moment. He’s still stuck in old man Peabody’s barn!
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 01-14-22, 08:53 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Interesting.
You just accurately described the holeshot standing start and barrier runs of a cyclocross race. Not 100m of run each barrier set, but maybe 20 yards each set. Then some courses have multiple barrier sets per lap. Or staircases.

Cyclocross race season drills practice night literally includes us lining up together about 5 times for the holeshot, then a really short oval lap where you have to do the barriers over and over and over roughly every 30 seconds. Or a 30 second lap with a stairclimb sprint.
Old 01-14-22, 11:06 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Last race of Sac CX this year was on a beach that featured a dune run up. Probably 30m of carrying your bike up a steep dune with soft sand. It took a toll.