Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Rapid weight loss: Health concerns?

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Old 01-21-22, 11:08 AM
Wyoguy

Bikes: Gravel, Mtn, Road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

I am on the Fat Smash diet. I have used it before to shed weight quickly but have also read elsewhere the optimum max is to lose 2 lbs a week. I have lost 13 lbs in 3 weeks, granted the first 10 lbs lost were fudge and cookies from the holidays. The diet basically replaces all things bad, beer, snacks and lots of carbs and proteins with a healthy diet in which I am not starving myself but eating a low carb, limited protein diet.

Are there any health concerns from rapid weight loss?
Old 01-21-22, 12:08 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
I am not a dietician or a doctor, so take this with a grain of salt and call me in the morning. I am not a fan of fad diets. The fact that you have used this diet before and apparently regained weight is common with this yoyo approach to weight control. Yes, I think it unwise to lose so much weight in a short time (see earlier disclaimer). Perhaps there are no immediate"health concerns," but it is likely you will regain the weight once you revert to a "normal" diet. I recommend you consult with a dietician or a doctor who knows something about nutrition (they are rare so choose wisely). You need an eating plan that you can adhere to long term, not a miracle cure that leads you to drop three pounds a week.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 01-21-22, 12:14 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
Yes, talk to a Medical Doctor, many of them receive a full two hours of nutrition education in medical school.
Old 01-21-22, 12:17 PM
RH Clark

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
There are health concerns with both rapid weight loss and weight gain. I don't know however if either may be more dangerous than fudge and cookies. For optimal health a diet doesn't need to be something you do to drop weight. Your diet needs to be the nutrition you need to maintain energy levels and overall health. Think in terms of what you should be eating to get the physical results you want.
Old 01-21-22, 12:47 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
All of the above responses being true, still there have been long term studies done which have established that rapid weight loss is not good simply because it isn't healthy. Restricted diets aren't healthy unless what you are restricting is junk food, like cookies, McDonalds, soft drinks, anything with a lot of fat or sugar in it. What has worked best long term in these studies is eating a varied, healthy diet, just less of it. "Eat food, mostly plants, not too much." This is commonly called lifestyle change. You're cutting down on carbs and protein, both of which are necessary to get benefit from exercise, and exercise is the key to health.

Your dinner plate should be 1/2 vegetables, 1/4 carbs, 1/4 protein - approximately. In our house, we simply use smaller portions of the same thing if we want to lose weight. We had homemade pizza last night - one piece each, salad after. That was fine.

It's true that most doctors didn't learn squat about nutrition in med school, but that's why they say that doctors practice medicine It take a heckuva lot of practice to get good at it. Good doctors read journals in bed. I have an engineer friend who reads building and electrical codes in bed. "So much to know, so little time!"
Old 01-21-22, 01:22 PM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
I can lose that 10 pounds in a week by simply changing from my Standard American Diet to a diet with a healthy variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, and protein.

Unhealthy? I don't think so. As you said, the first 10 pounds is fudge, cookies, ice cream and cake. After the first 10, the rest comes off at a more modest rate.

My challenge is sticking with the new normal of eating like I should.
Likes For Tusk:
Old 01-21-22, 02:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Wyoguy
I am on the Fat Smash diet. I have used it before to shed weight quickly but have also read elsewhere the optimum max is to lose 2 lbs a week. I have lost 13 lbs in 3 weeks, granted the first 10 lbs lost were fudge and cookies from the holidays. The diet basically replaces all things bad, beer, snacks and lots of carbs and proteins with a healthy diet in which I am not starving myself but eating a low carb, limited protein diet.

Since there are only 3 macronutrients, and this plan seems to limit 2 of them, then are you eating more fat?
Old 01-21-22, 04:08 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by Tusk
I can lose that 10 pounds in a week by simply changing from my Standard American Diet to a diet with a healthy variety of fruits, vegetables, grains, and protein.

Unhealthy? I don't think so. As you said, the first 10 pounds is fudge, cookies, ice cream and cake. After the first 10, the rest comes off at a more modest rate.

My challenge is sticking with the new normal of eating like I should.
I find the best thing for this is to continually program my mind by studying what good nutrition means. The more you put good info in the more it will inspire you to eat better. You need to keep it on your mind all the time. It's the same principal advertisers use to get your attention. Just watch a few YouTube videos and it will start you down the rabbit hole.
Old 01-21-22, 04:18 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4258 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
I don't believe this "first 10 lbs is fudge" thing. The weight you are losing is the same stuff - fat at 3500 calories/pound, no matter if you gained it recently eating fudge or 10 ears ago eating a slight excess of healthy things relative to your total respiration.

The only weight you lose really easily and fast (in a matter of a day) is water weight, which is transient anyway. And for sure, dieting by dehydration is neither sustainable nor advised.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 01-21-22, 04:21 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by Tusk
I doubt it. 10 lbs = 35,000 calories. A 35000 calorie deficit in a week is 5,000 calories/day. Unless your "Standard American Diet" was featured in "Super Size Me", it is extremely unlikely that the difference between your two diets is 5000 cal/day.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 01-21-22, 06:43 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by MinnMan
I doubt it. 10 lbs = 35,000 calories. A 35000 calorie deficit in a week is 5,000 calories/day. Unless your "Standard American Diet" was featured in "Super Size Me", it is extremely unlikely that the difference between your two diets is 5000 cal/day.
Exactly. My guess is that is exaggerated, and that the weight loss is almost all water, some from eating less salt and some from glycogen breakdown. By weight, stored glycogen is about 3/4 water. Maybe 1-2 lbs. is fat.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 01-21-22 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-21-22, 07:35 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
So long as you're getting the macro- and micro-nutrients your body needs, there shouldn't be. Complete protein, sufficient minerals and whatnot for proper bone/blood/eye/etc repair and growth, and so forth. Man of the "fad" diets skimp on the nutrient content part, though they can certainly zap pounds.

Going "clean" is a pretty good way to begin, for most folks. Eliminate as much packaged (labeled) products as possible. Eliminate as much refined additives as you can (which includes products with good amounts of sugar, sugar alternatives, sugar "alcohols" and the like). Get plenty of water. Consider a balanced intake, in which each intake has some portions of fats, proteins, carbs. Have plenty of vegetables and moderate amounts of fruits. Of course, not everybody's body is tolerant of all things. Many have allergic (inflammatory) reactions to surprising numbers of foods. Many don't react well to, say, spices. But, generally, a balanced diet of modest amounts of fats, proteins, carbs with suitable vitamins minerals from a wide range of foods can be a vast improvement over the typical intake many rely on these days.

Good clean wide-ranging intake in modest amounts, plenty of exercise and sleep ... and you should find the changes come on pretty quickly (within a week or two).
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 01-21-22, 08:18 PM
RH Clark

When you start eating low carbs you lose a lot of water weight initially. My rate of weight loss for 170 lbs was 8-12 lbs a month steady. That's on a low carb whole foods diet, basically meat and lots of vegetables.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 01-21-22, 10:58 PM
Wyoguy

Let me explain my diet better. Even though it has a nice fancy name Fat Smash Diet. It is simply a fancy name/plan for quitting overeating cold turkey.

I traded 2+ IPAs a night for water all day, potato chips for carrots, and a 20oz Rib eye for a 4 oz sirloin. The menu started out as almost a fast for 4 days with very little protein, dairy and carbs, then every 4 days the 'module' changes giving more items back and showing how to balance a healthy diet. I have lost 13 lbs in 19 days and can get into pants that were tight a few weeks ago. It might be water weight for now but eventually the fat will catch up and the beer belly will go away also.
Likes For Wyoguy:
Old 01-22-22, 10:23 AM
Gym123456

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Let me explain my diet better. Even though it has a nice fancy name Fat Smash Diet. It is simply a fancy name/plan for quitting overeating cold turkey.

I traded 2+ IPAs a night for water all day, potato chips for carrots, and a 20oz Rib eye for a 4 oz sirloin. The menu started out as almost a fast for 4 days with very little protein, dairy and carbs, then every 4 days the 'module' changes giving more items back and showing how to balance a healthy diet. I have lost 13 lbs in 19 days and can get into pants that were tight a few weeks ago. It might be water weight for now but eventually the fat will catch up and the beer belly will go away also.
I have never heard that quitting anything cold turkey is a permanent solution- even if it means changing to a healthy diet, cravings creep in.

I recently had COVID and after eating the food that appealed to me that I had in the house, I went out for something I craved a few times from drive-through (to avoid directly exposing anyone else), then eventually felt good enough to mask up and go into a grocery store for a few minutes, one time. The rest of the time, I didn't feel energetic enough to make anything or even go to the door for delivery, so I hung out/slept a lot and ate very little. I think I ate ten meals in 14 days. Since I had that COVID crap, I'm generally eating inside of a 4 hour window and while my appetite is good, I don't really feel hungry most of the time. Eating less carbs, although I haven't eliminated them completely- brown rice instead of white and if I have anything with potato, the skin stays on/in. Almost no pasta or if I do have noodles, it's usually Soba, which is made from buckwheat and that's not a grain so the carb content is low and it has no gluten.

Wearing jeans that I could only look at for at least five years.
Old 01-22-22, 11:30 AM
Wyoguy

Originally Posted by Gym123456
Wearing jeans that I could only look at for at least five years.
Well, that is a sucky but effective way to lose weight, I've been there just not with Covid. I hope you get better soon and can take advantage of your new size.

Originally Posted by Gym123456
I have never heard that quitting anything cold turkey is a permanent solution- even if it means changing to a healthy diet, cravings creep in.
The cold turkey quitting is only for the first few days then more food option is given to you on this diet. By day 9 we had 3 courses of protein per day, it felt luxurious after a day of yogurt, fruit, salad and beans and rice for a daily allotment. On this go around I had my wife join me on this diet, she had tried before and quit, has struggled at first this time but has continued on with it. Getting her onboard is key because we both enjoy good food too much to give it up completely. After we get down to a better weight we are trying to learn how to balance things.
Old 01-22-22, 04:31 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy

It's true that most doctors didn't learn squat about nutrition in med school, but that's why they say that doctors practice medicine It take a heckuva lot of practice to get good at it. Good doctors read journals in bed. I have an engineer friend who reads building and electrical codes in bed. "So much to know, so little time!"
So true. I spent 4 years at Uni studying for a Masters in Engineering and learnt maybe 10% of what I know 30 years later working in the industry.
Old 01-22-22, 04:45 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts

Rather than focusing on rate of weight loss, it's better to focus on a long term sustainable diet and lifestyle. Most (if not all) rapid loss diets are unsustainable and therefore fairly pointless. Diets that lose weight slowly are likely to be much more sustainable. Basically you need to be able to live with your diet forever, not just for a couple of months. In the first 2020 lockdown our neighbours went on a crash diet and both lost a ton of weight very quickly. Now in 2022 they are both as over-weight as they ever were.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-22-22, 05:30 PM
RH Clark

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Rather than focusing on rate of weight loss, it's better to focus on a long term sustainable diet and lifestyle. Most (if not all) rapid loss diets are unsustainable and therefore fairly pointless. Diets that lose weight slowly are likely to be much more sustainable. Basically you need to be able to live with your diet forever, not just for a couple of months. In the first 2020 lockdown our neighbors went on a crash diet and both lost a ton of weight very quickly. Now in 2022 they are both as over-weight as they ever were.
I totally agree. It took me a while during my eating change,but I noticed that I started to think differently about food. The old me would think "Now, what sounds good to eat." The new me was thinking "what foods do I need to fuel this workout", or "what foods will help me recover from this workout." It wasn't just a decision one day to eat healthier though. It was a result of trying to learn as much as I could about nutrition. You might or might not be able to resist that occasional burger and fries, but resisting is a lot easier when you have been spending lots of time researching just exactly what that burger and fries consists of.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 01-22-22, 08:11 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by RH Clark
I totally agree. It took me a while during my eating change,but I noticed that I started to think differently about food. The old me would think "Now, what sounds good to eat." The new me was thinking "what foods do I need to fuel this workout", or "what foods will help me recover from this workout." It wasn't just a decision one day to eat healthier though. It was a result of trying to learn as much as I could about nutrition. You might or might not be able to resist that occasional burger and fries, but resisting is a lot easier when you have been spending lots of time researching just exactly what that burger and fries consists of.
That's right. I know people with various eating disorders, all solved by changing their attitude toward food, regarding it as fuel. That gets rid of the emotional context.
Old 01-22-22, 08:31 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 928 Post(s)
Liked 1,594 Times in 1,020 Posts
Speaking from the medical side I have personally experienced and also had many of my patients with low Potassium and high incidences of Billiary Cholic.

So... Over weight by more than 60+ lbs / 30 Kilos and then loosing more than half that weight over 4 months look out...
Old 01-22-22, 08:44 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by zandoval
Speaking from the medical side I have personally experienced and also had many of my patients with low Potassium and high incidences of Billiary Cholic.

So... Over weight by more than 60+ lbs / 30 Kilos and then loosing more than half that weight over 4 months look out...
I didn't know the term, so I looked it up. For everybody's further information

https://www.health.harvard.edu/a_to_...0digest%20fats.

Rapid weight loss, meaning 3 or more pounds (lbs) per week, can trigger gallstones for the same reasons as obesity — it alters the balance of cholesterol, lecithin, and bile acids, and prevents the gallbladder from emptying adequately.
https://www.everydayhealth.com/gallb...y-weight-loss/
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 01-24-22, 09:14 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Like lots of folks I have fought weight issues (successfully and unsuccessfully) over my long lifetime. I always viewed it as two different problems.

1) I need to do what it takes to lose weight
2) Once #1 is achieved I need to do what it takes to maintain weight

I always viewed them as very different problems and (for some) might take very different forms.

dave
Old 01-24-22, 09:54 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,008 Posts
I follow eat less move more. I go by how my clothes fit rather than scale weight. If I weigh in when I want to drop some middle age gut it drives me crazy. Then watching a football game with all the pizza commercials and beer advertisements easy to over indulge.
Old 01-24-22, 10:05 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
I love how people seek medical advice on a bike forum.
Likes For prj71:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.