Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trek Domane SL6 vs Checkpoint SL6

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Trek Domane SL6 vs Checkpoint SL6

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-21, 06:56 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Is that P1 specific answer, where bike might be assembled with its parts here in the US? Or is this a reference to boats from Japan unloading in Taiwan? Isn't it Taiwan (or China) where the frames are made and sitting? I imagined anyway that basically a company like Trek was sourcing most of its needs (eg. all of the Bontrager bits) in a fairly localized area in the far east and doing the assembly there. Not sure where Shimano stuff is actually made these days -- probably depends on the model tier.

P1's I believe are all assembled in the US, but frames and components from wherever. I believe most of the Shimano stuff is made in Malaysia, but could be off on that, but I believe they are looking to shift to other locals as Malaysia keep locking down. Such as Vietnam, Japan, etc.

Old 12-25-21, 08:53 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
58 in matte black
Not a P1 but a SL7 eTap in the Williamsburg Va store.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/store-finder/

They also have a Crimson and red SL6 in 58cm.

Not sure where you live but if your willing to drive try the Trek Shops search function. Our local Trek dealer multi brand dealer was bought out by Trek a few years ago. The closer store was kind enough to bring a bike from their Va Beach store. But I had a warranty claim on and old Madone frame.

Oh had to do phone screen shots. Copying the url did not work.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 12-25-21 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-25-21, 09:55 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
you'd think the sl5 & sl6 mechanical shifting would be widely available...
Old 12-26-21, 12:45 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

yea you would think

Old 12-26-21, 09:46 PM
Troul 

it has been, in my experiences, that whenever I run into a supply issue for a higher dollar item (crank, wheels, bicycle, frame) with a LBS & try to locate that seeked item at another shop (local or out of state) , the LBS I ask for such help never follows thru & depending the service person... I'll receive an attitude (free of charge! ) . Is it typical for a LBS to shun other LBS for spreading business? I bet, IF I find a shop that is out in the boones, my LBS would not play well in having it brought in.... might even buy it behind my back! Like storage wars, but with new cycling stuff.
Old 01-21-22, 06:27 PM
Troul 

after about a half days worth of driving, I am have the Domane. Now I can't wait for the weather to break!
Old 01-21-22, 07:47 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Pictures or it never happened.

There is snow on the ground so we need the entertainment. Besides I’m lost and neeeed to know what you got. You drove so where did you get it ? Williamsburg? If so next time I go in I can tell Michael I helped with a bike sale.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 01-21-22 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-21-22, 08:09 PM
Troul 

From narrowing down the choices to one of two models of the Domane, I went with what was available while meeting some of the hard requirements that I was after. That ended up being the '22 SL5 from a far west Trek retailer off the shore of Lake Macatawa in Michigan. Pretty sure it is the farthest west Trek retailer in MI lol.

Last edited by Troul; 01-21-22 at 08:14 PM.
Likes For Troul:
Old 01-21-22, 08:19 PM
biker128pedal

From narrowing down the choices to one of two models of the Domane, I went with what was available while meeting some of the hard requirements that I was after. That ended up being the '22 SL5 from a far west Trek retailer off the shore of Lake Macatawa in Michigan. Pretty sure it is the farthest west Trek retailer in MI lol.
Nice. A 28mm rear and 25mm front Conti 5000 feels quicker on the road. Rides smoother than my old Madone did. You’ll like it.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 01-21-22 at 08:23 PM.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 01-21-22, 08:52 PM
jaxgtr

Awesome congrats. I have basically been off the bike most of Jan, had to get my knee scoped and finally got the ok to take easy short rides. So hoping the rain clears out tonight and the roads dry up in the morning and I will try in get in 20 miles or so, otherwise I will be on the trainer.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 01-21-22, 10:03 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Nice. A 28mm rear and 25mm front Conti 5000 feels quicker on the road. Rides smoother than my old Madone did. You’ll like it.
good to know. During the search of the bicycle I've tetrised together a carbon wheel set using a 30 Pirelli P Zero Race Clincher out back & a 32 Pirelli P7 Sport up front. It worked well, almost too well, for my other road cruiser. The front tire felt like a 60's cadillac on that setup, so i expect it to be like a '96 buick roadmaster estate wagon with the IsoSpeed decouplers. Going to be exploring some compact longlife rear lighting as I have a feeling my sunset riding will increase a lot with this new cruiser.

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Awesome congrats. I have basically been off the bike most of Jan, had to get my knee scoped and finally got the ok to take easy short rides. So hoping the rain clears out tonight and the roads dry up in the morning and I will try in get in 20 miles or so, otherwise I will be on the trainer.
Thanks! I've had to hang up the outdoor setup until the weather breaks again. Thankfully I was able to get some very late year end outdoor rides in & a few rides in the beginning of the 'New' year before the perma ice took over the riding routes.
Hope you recover 100% in short time & the weather supports you in many favorable future rides.
Old 01-21-22, 10:19 PM
jaxgtr

good to know. During the search of the bicycle I've tetrised together a carbon wheel set using a 30 Pirelli P Zero Race Clincher out back & a 32 Pirelli P7 Sport up front. It worked well, almost too well, for my other road cruiser. The front tire felt like a 60's cadillac on that setup, so i expect it to be like a '96 buick roadmaster estate wagon with the IsoSpeed decouplers. Going to be exploring some compact longlife rear lighting as I have a feeling my sunset riding will increase a lot with this new cruiser.
I've ridden both the 28mm and 30mm Pirelli P Zero Race TLR's on my Domane and I really find the 30 as my favorite tire. Really plush, comfy, and grippy

Old 01-21-22, 10:26 PM
biker128pedal

Thanks! I've had to hang up the outdoor setup until the weather breaks again. Thankfully I was able to get some very late year end outdoor rides in & a few rides in the beginning of the 'New' year before the perma ice took over the riding routes.
Hope you recover 100% in short time & the weather supports you in many favorable future rides.
I already had a Varia 510. Like the radar. Splurged for the Bontrager light for under the seat. I like to run two lights. If your bike did not come with a rear reflector your missing the seat post clamp. It’s an odd D shape. There are some 3D printed adapters for various lights. I did that for the Garmin. $40 was cost for the small part but less than a 3D printer.

Oh if you ride in a downpour see if water drains out of the hole under the bottom bracket. Mine had a piece of plastic blocking the drain hole. Poked a tooth pick in it to drain the water.

Last edited by biker128pedal; 01-22-22 at 03:41 PM.
Likes For biker128pedal:
Old 01-21-22, 10:41 PM
Troul 

30 is best for the pothole riddled asphalt & concrete they call roads around here. When I would chance anything with less profile, I found my cadence would suffer as well as my enjoyment of riding due to safeguarding my rims. The puncture resistance & wet performance with low temp traction is what keeps me attracted to the Pirelli P Zero Race/P7 tires. They tend to wear faster in higher temps (80F+ ) , but still perform good. The best puncture resistance experience I've had was when I had no choice but to run over a broken bottle bottom & the tire maintained itself. Once the tire is past the 75% usage point, it starts to become a walmart latex tube that was returned & restocked.
Old 01-21-22, 10:49 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
I already had a Varia 510. Like the radar. Splurged for the Bontrager light for under the seat. I like to run two lights. If your bike did not come with a rear reflector your missing the seat post clamp. It’s an odd D shape. There are some 3D printed adapters for various lights. I did Thai for the Garmin. $40 was paint for the small part but less than a 3D printer.

Oh if you ride in a downpour see if water drains out of the hole under the bottom bracket. Mine had a piece of plastic blocking the drain hole. Poked a tooth pick in it to drain the water.
It came with the quick clip D bracket. I'll have a rear seat bag, so I'll have to ensure that anything I click on for a light will not be impeded by the bag. I should be fine; when I was welding the alloy tabs that affix the mounts for the bag side mounts, I positioned them with enough degree that it should clear most designs.

I almost forgot about that drain point. thanks for the awareness.
Old 01-22-22, 08:20 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9651 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
It came with the quick clip D bracket. I'll have a rear seat bag, so I'll have to ensure that anything I click on for a light will not be impeded by the bag. I should be fine; when I was welding the alloy tabs that affix the mounts for the bag side mounts, I positioned them with enough degree that it should clear most designs.

I almost forgot about that drain point. thanks for the awareness.
No real need for a seat bag. Use the down tube. Whatever is not in the roll (car key, etc.) goes into a zip lock bag, and put into the bottom of the tube after pushing the roll up as far as it goes.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-22-22, 10:34 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Mojo31
No real need for a seat bag. Use the down tube. Whatever is not in the roll (car key, etc.) goes into a zip lock bag, and put into the bottom of the tube after pushing the roll up as far as it goes.
But where would I put the kitchen sink then?
Old 01-22-22, 11:58 AM
Mojo31
-------

You put your junk in the trunk.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-22-22, 03:49 PM
biker128pedal

A handlebar bag is where one puts a kitchen sink. But I use the downtube storage. Below it I fit a patch kit in the tube and carry a pump next to the seat tube water bottle cage. One CO2 but I don’t have very much luck with them. New idea. May just pull it out and see if I can fit a second lightweight tube. Mmm the new 2022 Checkpoint SL has downtube storage. May be one for a lightweight touring bike and grocery getter.
Old 01-23-22, 07:34 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
I hope you ride better than you photograph.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-23-22, 08:20 AM
Mojo31
-------

Originally Posted by Koyote
Don’t know what’s wrong with the picture. Obviously inspired by Ansel Adams.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-23-22, 08:35 AM
Koyote

Don’t know what’s wrong with the picture. Obviously inspired by Ansel Adams.
Ansel Adams always photographed the bike's drive side.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-23-22, 08:38 AM
biker128pedal

For the sink. Do keep rain jacket an snacks here. Plus an extra tube I’ll see if will replace the CO2.

Pump placement. Gotta have a pump.

Adapted D bracket to Varia. Two lights. Seat light can be a pain to turn on.
Old 01-23-22, 12:04 PM
Mojo31
-------

Ansel Adams always photographed the bike's drive side.
True

Everything nice and tidy for this morning's ride.

Note the use of the rule of thirds and leading lines to the water feature. 😜
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 01-23-22, 12:17 PM
Koyote

True

Everything nice and tidy for this morning's ride.

Note the use of the rule of thirds and leading lines to the water feature. 😜
I like the shadow in the foreground, but that light is so harsh. Need to shoot it at the 'golden hour':

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.