Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Handlebar bag support

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Handlebar bag support

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-22, 08:00 AM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I have this one, too, as Doc saw on our Virginia tour this past summer:

Details please.

Old 01-21-22, 09:11 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 6,674 Times in 2,607 Posts
Originally Posted by eom
Details please.
https://routewerks.us/products/the-handlebar-bag
Old 01-21-22, 09:24 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 402 Posts
That's kinda neat, although the website does not show extra clamps to move the bag from bike to bike, and both the mount and the bag look somewhat anti-C&V.

Old 01-21-22, 10:40 AM
no67el

Bikes: How many is too many?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 83 Posts
Someone is selling a lot of pre-orders for a similar bent-tubing-hooked-over-the-stem rack---- easy to transfer from bike to bike, and looks big enough to support a pretty big bag:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jack-the-bike-rack#/

Pretty pricey for some tubing and straps, but it looks well-designed--- might be possible to do a DIY version if you feel up to bending your own tubing.....

N
Old 01-21-22, 10:45 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,793 Times in 2,280 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el
Someone is selling a lot of pre-orders for a similar bent-tubing-hooked-over-the-stem rack---- easy to transfer from bike to bike, and looks big enough to support a pretty big bag:

Pretty pricey for some tubing and straps, but it looks well-designed--- might be possible to do a DIY version if you feel up to bending your own tubing.....

N
Man, I gotta start a gofundme...$400k raised to make something that costs $80...with low volume...
Old 01-21-22, 10:50 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 402 Posts
N
Looks ideal pretty good, maybe Plan C if Plan A (Cannondale support I just bought) or Plan B (bend-it-yourself) does not work out.

Old 01-21-22, 11:41 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts

N
Wow, that's pretty nice. I might get one, but I imagine looking at it in 20 years like some of the neato NOS products from the 80's circulating today, never having used it. That's more a comment on my riding than the quality or design of the product, both of which are pretty impressive.
Old 01-21-22, 05:40 PM
El Chaba

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 566 Times in 197 Posts
I have been an adherent to “The Rules” from before they were published…just obeyed. However……Sometimes you have enough stuff to,stow on a longer ride that a bag is a better solution than overstuffed jersey pockets. If you have to use a handlebar bag, you might as well plan for it. The end of that rabbit hole is designing an entire bike around the handlebar bag in question. I use this bike/ setup when I think that I will need to stow a jacket, arm warmers, some food, and a few other items. A small bag will generally do along with three jersey pockets. I tried to avoid a larger bag largely to avoid the use of a decaleur, which is French for “ descent into hell”. So I had this old TA bag that I thought I might as well be able to use should I need to carry a little more. To use without the dreaded decaleur, I made a stiffener by constructing a box of that light, strong, corrugated plastic material. It takes up,less space than it looks like in the photo….I then glued felt to the plastic just to improve the look and feel of the setup. The whole setup is very stiff and very light. Granted, strapped to the handlebars it largely takes away the bar top hand position, but the sides - my main position- are completely unencumbered…and everything is clear of the operation of Ergopower levers. As a coincidence of my bar height/position it all fits rather well and is quite tight and secure. Of course, I still prefer to,have the smaller bag with no interference whatsoever…

Old 01-21-22, 09:21 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
What is that smaller bag? Narrower, shorter is good for not getting bothered by it.
Old 01-22-22, 02:40 AM
El Chaba

Originally Posted by Classtime
What is that smaller bag? Narrower, shorter is good for not getting bothered by it.
It is a Gilles Berthoud “ Alex Singer” bag….
Old 01-22-22, 06:16 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1855 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Andy and Gugie, I want something like that to support my wide vintage Carradice low-profile saddlebag! With my low saddle height the bag always sags to rest on the fender or drag on the rear tire. This bag would probably need a bigger tubing stock because of its width.

I haven’t bought the Carradice solutions. They are about 10” wide (my estimate), and my bag is 18” wide. Even though it has that big dowel going all,the way across the top. I’ve tried it with a Jim Blackburn rack and the bag bottom sags badly at the ends.

El Chaba, what thickness of board materiel did you use, and did you rigidly fix the bottom to the sides?

Last edited by Road Fan; 01-22-22 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-22-22, 10:55 AM
El Chaba

Originally Posted by Road Fan
Andy and Gugie, I want something like that to support my wide vintage Carradice low-profile saddlebag! With my low saddle height the bag always sags to rest on the fender or drag on the rear tire. This bag would probably need a bigger tubing stock because of its width.

I haven’t bought the Carradice solutions. They are about 10” wide (my estimate), and my bag is 18” wide. Even though it has that big dowel going all,the way across the top. I’ve tried it with a Jim Blackburn rack and the bag bottom sags badly at the ends.

El Chaba, what thickness of board materiel did you use, and did you rigidly fix the bottom to the sides?

The material is 4 mm thick. I believe that it is called coroplast and is often used for signs. I did fix the bottom to the sides which may be overkill, but it did stiffen and add strength to the whole structure.
Old 01-22-22, 01:06 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by El Chaba
The material is 4 mm thick. I believe that it is called coroplast and is often used for signs. I did fix the bottom to the sides which may be overkill, but it did stiffen and add strength to the whole structure.
Coroplast is often called "plastic cardboard" as that's what it looks like. I have an endless supply of it from work - semiconductor fabs don't allow paper or cardboard in them for particle reasons. It's also commonly used for small yard signs, such as election ads. Some bag makers that I know use it to stiffen their bags. If the bag has little to no stiffness it's a good way to give shape to the bag.

The cloth and leather bags that I have don't really need them, IMO. The important thing is to keep the opening square. An internal bag stiffener works well - you can make your own from material available at most any hardware store.
Old 01-30-22, 12:18 PM
so-ichiro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Andy gives me a bit more credit than I deserve. I've got plenty of tubing stock for rack making, so we used a stick of thinwall 1/4" stainless steel tubing. Bends were made using my $8.95 Harbor Freight tubing bender, which despite abusing it for over 5 years, it's still going strong. The first bend was easy, 180 degree in the middle of the tube. It was ne'er impossible to use the tubing bender for the 2nd bends, however, so we did it "in situ", which is corporate speak for "on the bike." As we were trying to do that, the bend in the tubing slid back on the stem every time we tried to wrap it around the handlebars. Andy came up with the idea to put a C-clamp behind the bend so it wouldn't slip. Once that was done, the rest of the bends were straight forward using the tubing bender. One note, we started with a 6' stick of tubing and used less than 4' of it if anyone is planning on trying this themselves. Here's the McMaster part number for the tubing if you don't have another source, 6' section goes for about $18.

It took us maybe 30 minutes to make this. A couple of steps required two people, more clever people could probably figure out how to do it themselves.

@Prowler, you are correct, this thing really isn't intended to hold a heavy load, but it does a good job of it's intended use of holding the bottom of a lightly loaded bag from sagging and rubbing on the front wheel.
Thanks for this thread and this post. I have a small Ostrich front bag, but when strapped to the handlebar, it takes away the top horizontal section of the handlebar position so I never used it. Reading this thread, there are so many commercial options available, but I figure it would be more fun to make one. The 1/4 in tube is bent as described above, and is connected at the end with 1/2 in dowel. It still need something like a bungee cord to strap the rack to the headtube and a mount for the bag. Thanks again for inspiration!

Likes For so-ichiro:
Old 01-30-22, 01:14 PM
eom 
Eccentric Old Man

Bikes: 1986 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1979 Schwinn Traveler III, Trek T100, 1995 Trek 970, Fuji America

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by so-ichiro
Thanks for this thread and this post. I have a small Ostrich front bag, but when strapped to the handlebar, it takes away the top horizontal section of the handlebar position so I never used it. Reading this thread, there are so many commercial options available, but I figure it would be more fun to make one. The 1/4 in tube is bent as described above, and is connected at the end with 1/2 in dowel. It still need something like a bungee cord to strap the rack to the headtube and a mount for the bag. Thanks again for inspiration!

That looks great!

Old 02-10-22, 04:51 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
A wee bump on this thread as you folks inspired me to "get on with it" too. I purchased the tubing bender that gugie recommended at Harbor Freight (with 30% coupon of course). I've had a nice old Cannondale bag but I've struggled with what use it for. Did not suit me for a seat bag and in front it it hangs down against the cable housings. I was looking to use it for just my "picnic lunch" for those halcyon summer days when I'm piling on the miles exploring and planning to stop somewhere for lunch: sandwich, carrot, some chips. So I read this thread and "hey you" says I, " make one with your new tubing/rod bender.

So and dug out a length of 1/8 steel rod. I have lots of that as the local politicians that litter the roadsides with "vote for me" signs seem to struggle with the notion of private property. I also have a nice supply of "corrugated plastic" courtesy of those same politicians. Bent the center U with the tubing bender then the over-the-bar curves as well. Slid a length of clear plastic tubing on that then designed and bent the rest using the tubing bender and the blacksmiths vice. Cut a bit of corrugated plastic to span the ends, for some rigidity, and bob's your uncle. Years ago I sewed a length of nylon cord to the back of the bag which will tie nicely around the stem or head tube to further stabilize the bag. I'll have to wait until spring to ensure it's AOK but I'm confident.

The width of this bag only impinges on the tops a small amount so it will not "crimp my style", such as it is.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 02-10-22, 05:56 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Prowler
A wee bump on this thread as you folks inspired me to "get on with it" too. I purchased the tubing bender that gugie recommended at Harbor Freight (with 30% coupon of course). I've had a nice old Cannondale bag but I've struggled with what use it for. Did not suit me for a seat bag and in front it it hangs down against the cable housings. I was looking to use it for just my "picnic lunch" for those halcyon summer days when I'm piling on the miles exploring and planning to stop somewhere for lunch: sandwich, carrot, some chips. So I read this thread and "hey you" says I, " make one with your new tubing/rod bender.

So and dug out a length of 1/8 steel rod. I have lots of that as the local politicians that litter the roadsides with "vote for me" signs seem to struggle with the notion of private property. I also have a nice supply of "corrugated plastic" courtesy of those same politicians. Bent the center U with the tubing bender then the over-the-bar curves as well. Slid a length of clear plastic tubing on that then designed and bent the rest using the tubing bender and the blacksmiths vice. Cut a bit of corrugated plastic to span the ends, for some rigidity, and bob's your uncle. Years ago I sewed a length of nylon cord to the back of the bag which will tie nicely around the stem or head tube to further stabilize the bag. I'll have to wait until spring to ensure it's AOK but I'm confident.
Excellent use of recycled materials, looks good!
Old 02-10-22, 09:16 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by Prowler

The width of this bag only impinges on the tops a small amount so it will not "crimp my style", such as it is.
This looks perfect for my needs! Now I just have to wait for primary season.
Old 05-28-23, 03:09 PM
madsgorm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
Well, well, well.

Here's what I've been using for the past couple years. Cheap, effective and easy to move between bikes (if you can at least remember for longer than a few hours how to mount it on bars with brifters and center-pull or cantilever brakes. )
Where can I get one of these - or something similar?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-28-23, 07:38 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
alt bar DIY decaleur

I should have paid attention sooner.
i also need to read all the posts yet.
I bent an aluminum small diameter bar to stand a drop bar off the canti cable.
Some of my bends were not thought threw- through- so things were not going right.

As a temporary measure I used a piece of pvc.

i need a stand off close to the cable, as the shifter housings are wrapped ring the bag.
not a great set up, but it’s mine!

Old 05-29-23, 09:28 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by madsgorm

Thanks for any help.
Invent a time machine or check eBay often. That's a vintage part.

But this thread showed you that you can buy a tubing bender for cheap, get some stainless steel tubing and roll your own.
Old 05-29-23, 01:29 PM
madsgorm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Invent a time machine or check eBay often. That's a vintage part.

But this thread showed you that you can buy a tubing bender for cheap, get some stainless steel tubing and roll your own.

Well I guess I going eBay hunting Thanks for your reply.
Old 05-29-23, 03:11 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked 4,594 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by madsgorm

Thanks for any help.
I have a few of these, and they either came with a bike I'd bought or from swap meets. I think the latter are your best best.

On second thought, a WTB on these forums might work even better.

Old 05-29-23, 04:03 PM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Just for information filling tubing with sand is only helpful on very thin wall tubing. Most hobbyist don't have the tools or skill to bend anything that thin.
I have the skill but not the tooling.
I have a couple of small handle bar bags but only use one on my Surly Steamroller for longer day trips . I don't tour most of my bikes that I would ride distance (20-60 miles) have topeak racks and a trunk bag carries enough for my needs
Old 07-13-23, 07:17 PM
Paul Waque 

Bikes: Road: 1972 Raleigh Competition,1989 Marinoni, 1990 Limongi. MTN: 1990 GT Team Avalanche, 1991 Rocky Mountain Blizzard, GT Team RTS , Rocky Mountain MSL 50 Element, CCM fat bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Here is a rack and bag at the value end of the spectrum.
The rack made out 1/4" hardware store steel rod mainly covered with surgical tubing. The bag is a common Dutch Military Haversack with the addition of a few tri-glide sliders and velcro straps to attach it. Seven pounds is about the weight limit before it gets too bouncy, a strap from the rack to the headtube helps a bit. I will look for stiffer stainless or aluminum tubing to replace the steel rod.

Likes For Paul Waque:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.