Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Total Rookie Seeking Advice: Diamondback v. Schwinn

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 01-19-22, 10:51 PM
maxcotty

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi All,
I have been eyeing vintage mountain bikes as something that can double as a town and casual trail ride. These Diamondback and Schwinns both caught my eye due to their nice condition, bright colors and good reviews. I am wondering what would be the better fit for me and if there are any red flags that I'm missing. It's hard to tell from the Schwinn pictures but both look pretty comparable in size and nearly identical in components although the Diamondback seems to have more options for rack attachments.

I think these would both fit for me (maybe on the small side) but sizing with the vintage mountain bikes is a little confusing to me. I am concerned that I'm going to be wishing for a larger bike after a few hours riding around. I am 5'10" with a 31" inseam for reference.

Schwinn Project KOM-10 1988
facebook.com/marketplace/item/1278629799315030?ref=saved&referral_code=null
Size unknown but probably a 17-18"
$50

Diamondback Adventure Axis 1988
facebook.com/marketplace/item/241248327772737/?ref=saved&referral_code=null
17" seat tube 20" top tube
$250

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 01-20-22, 12:13 AM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
You should be pretty spot on size wise. The Schwinn isn't showing up, but the Diamond Back is an Apex, and way cooler than the Schwinn anyway.
Likes For krakhaus:
Old 01-20-22, 07:00 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 860 Times in 414 Posts
The Diamondback sounds like a better fit, the model does seem to be an Apex and not an Axis. If it isn't damaged somehow it's probably worth the money.
Old 01-20-22, 07:45 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,374 Times in 890 Posts
Pic assists - Schwinn is a smoking deal if no major issues - both a likely too small if you’re 5’10”

Schwinn

Last edited by thinktubes; 01-20-22 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-20-22, 07:47 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Honestly I would buy both. The Schwinn KOM is a pretty nice bike, and it's only $50 (if it's even still available). Old Diamondbacks are great, and this one is on the higher end of their offerings back then, and it looks like it's in great shape. So I'd buy both and maybe restore the Schwinn (looked like it lived a bit of a harder life) and make my money back from the Diamondback purchase.

What I can't get out of my head is the rationale for selling the Diamondback--that he's getting married next week or whatever. So you have to get rid of your bike? Good luck!
Likes For PugRider:
Old 01-20-22, 08:34 AM
maxcotty

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you all for the input and help with the pictures.
@PugRider 'both' was the answer I was secretly looking for although I'm concerned about that the optics at home when I walk in the door with not one, but two 'old bikes in the middle of winter'.
I think I'll go for the KOM to start and move on the Diamondback if it's still available in a few weeks. Thanks again everyone!
Old 01-20-22, 08:41 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by maxcotty
Thank you all for the input and help with the pictures.
@PugRider 'both' was the answer I was secretly looking for although I'm concerned about that the optics at home when I walk in the door with not one, but two 'old bikes in the middle of winter'.
I think I'll go for the KOM to start and move on the Diamondback if it's still available in a few weeks. Thanks again everyone!
Both are nice bikes and both will most likely be too small for you at 5'10". At least you should get your money back when you sell it.
Old 01-20-22, 09:17 AM
maxcotty

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The sizing question was the only reason I didn't jump on the Diamondback last weekend. With the low price of that KOM I think it's a sensible gamble if I get it. I ride an old road bike that measures 20.5" ST and 22" TT so I'm used to riding something on the smaller (I think?) end of my size.
Old 01-20-22, 09:21 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Both are nice bikes and both will most likely be too small for you at 5'10". At least you should get your money back when you sell it.
Might technically be too small but at 6'2, I usually ride a 58 to 60cm but have put hundreds of miles on a couple similar old MTBs in the 17–18-inch range. Get both.
Old 01-20-22, 11:17 AM
maxcotty

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good to know Clark, holding onto hope!
Old 01-20-22, 12:17 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 2,942 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by PugRider
Honestly I would buy both. The Schwinn KOM is a pretty nice bike, and it's only $50 (if it's even still available). Old Diamondbacks are great, and this one is on the higher end of their offerings back then, and it looks like it's in great shape. So I'd buy both and maybe restore the Schwinn (looked like it lived a bit of a harder life) and make my money back from the Diamondback purchase.

What I can't get out of my head is the rationale for selling the Diamondback--that he's getting married next week or whatever. So you have to get rid of your bike? Good luck!
The correct answer. Heck, if you can make them fit you, rehab the scwhinn and then convert the diamonback to a drop-bar gravel/allrounder bike. Then you bought 2 different bikes for 2 different roles and have a justification to keep them both.
Likes For himespau:
Old 01-20-22, 03:07 PM
maxcotty

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I love that idea, unfortunately the other half is not as enthusiastic. I ended up buying the Schwinn, I'll post pictures in a bit once I have the chance.
Likes For maxcotty:
Old 01-20-22, 04:01 PM
RH Clark

I love that idea, unfortunately the other half is not as enthusiastic. I ended up buying the Schwinn, I'll post pictures in a bit once I have the chance.
Good deal. What made you pick the Schwinn? Did you ride both? No matter as either should make a good beginner bike and neither are rare opportunity bikes. I doubt the Schwinn will be lonely for long though..
Old 01-21-22, 08:00 AM
maxcotty

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I went with the Schwinn due to price and convenience. We'll see what kind of investment it needs and the reception it gets around the house before making a final decision on the Diamondback if it's still an option. The Schwinn rides nice and seems to be in pretty good working order. I'm going to a take it to my local shop to get it looked over and an opinion on sizing. Thanks everyone for the input!
I can't attach pictures due to my account's age but try the truncated link below for an album.

imgur.com/a/dvCyI2g
Old 01-21-22, 10:45 AM
RH Clark

I went with the Schwinn due to price and convenience. We'll see what kind of investment it needs and the reception it gets around the house before making a final decision on the Diamondback if it's still an option. The Schwinn rides nice and seems to be in pretty good working order. I'm going to a take it to my local shop to get it looked over and an opinion on sizing. Thanks everyone for the input!
I can't attach pictures due to my account's age but try the truncated link below for an album.

imgur.com/a/dvCyI2g
You can save a lot of money doing the work yourself. Lots of good info on YouTube on replacing cables chain etc. I'm not against bike shops but I wouldn't want to spend $150 in a shop on a $100 bike that needed $35 in parts.
Old 01-21-22, 12:51 PM
maxcotty

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That's a good point. I've always shied away from bike maintenance because I didn't want another hobby with all of the specialized tools but maybe a trip to the co-op would be a good route to take here.
Old 01-21-22, 03:56 PM
RH Clark

At some point money allowing get set of metric allen wrenches, a cable cutter, a chain breaker, chain whip and the cassette tool that fits your bike. You can get everything for less than $100 and do about 90% of anything on a bike.