Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Cult of CAAD...

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Cult of CAAD...

Old 09-22-10, 07:44 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by roadandmountain
I test rode a 'dale years and years ago. The ridiculous amount of vibration and harshness has to be experienced first hand to be believed.

Cannondale used to cater to a segment of over-weight riders who needed a super stiff frame. However, since the average american is now very overweight, I guess they cater to the average american buyer. Cannondale is an american institution, kinda like Mcdonald's and Krispy Kreme,
Your account describes CAAD bikes from the late 90's. Not now. My 2007 Six13 had the CAAD rear triangle (aluminum) and it felt like a vertically compliant Ti ride. GREAT bike. I've heard similar accounts of the all alu CAAD frames over the past five years.

I owned a CAAD 3 around 1997. Great race bike, but very stiff. Never bothered me that much. But the newer ones are a whole different experience.
Old 09-22-10, 07:53 PM
CyciumX
Gimme back my gears!

Bikes: Cannondale Caad9-5 2009, Scattante XLR TT 2009, Trek Y-Foil 77 1998

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by colombo357
Fixie Scattante with funny bars and a Trek Y-foil?

Nice taste in bikes!

Nice fridge decals too!

The sarcasm is thick enough to make me thirsty, but FYI...

2 x Y-foils
1 x BP Stealth
1X Scattante

and The One and only - Caad9

Old 09-22-10, 08:02 PM
fauxto nick
Cat 3 Meter - Don't Care

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by colombo357
Goofiest looking saddle and bars EVER.
Not really, it's a carbon Fizik Aliante and some Easton EA70's, pretty standard. It's called camera angle.
Old 09-22-10, 08:06 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Your stand also angles your bike nose down.

Originally Posted by mike868y
Why? I don't know too many people with allezs, but I've only heard good things about them.
Unless it's the S-Works Al Allez of yore, there's no comparison. I think the CAAD still had a nose up on those, but I have a soft spot for the red s works allez'.
Old 09-22-10, 08:26 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Your stand also angles your bike nose down.

Unless it's the S-Works Al Allez of yore, there's no comparison. I think the CAAD still had a nose up on those, but I have a soft spot for the red s works allez'.
I'm not calling you out, but unless you've ridden the new allez (granted, I have not ridden a caad or an allez, which is why I'd like to hear from someone who has), you seem to be falling under the common bf belief that the caad9/10 is the best aluminum bike ever. It very well may be, but I would like to hear from someone who has ridden the new allez.
Old 09-22-10, 08:43 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I'm not calling you out, but unless you've ridden the new allez (granted, I have not ridden a caad or an allez, which is why I'd like to hear from someone who has), you seem to be falling under the common bf belief that the caad9/10 is the best aluminum bike ever. It very well may be, but I would like to hear from someone who has ridden the new allez.
This is true, but you have to understand that it is a cult following...it does not matter if there are others out there, only CAAD matters...not that there's anything wrong with that

I have a 2009 Allez and picked it over a CAAD9 5 or was it a 6...I forget... Anyway, I just found it more comfortable and a better fit. I tried the 2011 Allez with Apex and I found it a bit stiffer than the 09, my LBS let me try it on for a few hours.
Old 09-22-10, 08:55 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-?

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fauxto nick
[Originally Posted by colombo357
Goofiest looking saddle and bars EVER.0 Not really, it's a carbon Fizik Aliante and some Easton EA70's, pretty standard. It's called camera angle.

PWNED.

Old 09-22-10, 08:57 PM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=653849
Old 09-23-10, 01:49 AM
littlewing6283

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-23-10, 05:37 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rankin116
How can a bike be boring?
If you suck as a rider, you can't tell the performance differences, so you buy on looks and color.
Old 09-23-10, 05:40 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
Your account describes CAAD bikes from the late 90's. Not now. My 2007 Six13 had the CAAD rear triangle (aluminum) and it felt like a vertically compliant Ti ride. GREAT bike. I've heard similar accounts of the all alu CAAD frames over the past five years.

I owned a CAAD 3 around 1997. Great race bike, but very stiff. Never bothered me that much. But the newer ones are a whole different experience.
Exactly. BTW...that CAAD3 frame was the one where Cippolini looked into the camea afer breaking the Giro stage win record and said, "Cannondale makes the best bikes."
Old 09-23-10, 05:47 AM
fortega00
Rock'N'Rolla

Bikes: '09 Felt F1SL Team Issue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just received my CAAD10-4 yesterday. What a machine. I have never anticipated a bike so much, let alone an aluminum. It will be built today and will give my first impressions on the ride. I just gave up my 09 F1SL with Dura-Ace for an the most advanced aluminum design yet and sram rival. Some think I'm crazy, but i think this bike is going to be hard to keep in stock this year. Only downside is the wheelset. I'm thinking either Mavic R-Sys premiums or a set of Easton EC90SL's. I'm not into the weight game, but the bike weighs in at 17.5lbs with Keo Classic pedals and the stock hoops. I'll probably throw on some Keo Blades before taking it out. Looks like one hell of a bike, I'll post pics up later. The other anticipated bike is the Look 695.
Old 09-23-10, 06:07 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by fortega00
Just received my CAAD10-4 yesterday. What a machine. I have never anticipated a bike so much, let alone an aluminum. It will be built today and will give my first impressions on the ride. I just gave up my 09 F1SL with Dura-Ace for an the most advanced aluminum design yet and sram rival. Some think I'm crazy, but i think this bike is going to be hard to keep in stock this year. Only downside is the wheelset. I'm thinking either Mavic R-Sys premiums or a set of Easton EC90SL's. I'm not into the weight game, but the bike weighs in at 17.5lbs with Keo Classic pedals and the stock hoops. I'll probably throw on some Keo Blades before taking it out. Looks like one hell of a bike, I'll post pics up later. The other anticipated bike is the Look 695.
Dumb question and not being a smart aleck, but how do you know it is a great machine and the weight if it hasn't been built up yet?
Old 09-23-10, 06:17 AM
fortega00
Rock'N'Rolla

Bikes: '09 Felt F1SL Team Issue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
Dumb question and not being a smart aleck, but how do you know it is a great machine and the weight if it hasn't been built up yet?
Good question. I guess I worded it wrong. The guys put it together for me yesterday so they could weigh it. One of my mechanics loves Dale's so he was dying to see what it weighed. I through pedals on it that were laying around to get a rough idea of the build weight. So technically, its built, just not finished i.e. cables, derailler adjustments, fit position.

How do I know its a machine? There are no visible welds, the fit and finish, and the tube sizing on the bike are stunning to look at. The one question everyone asked yesterday was " That's aluminum?" It does look at first glance like a carbon frame because of the tube shapes. I'm not sure how it rides yet, but it does looks like one of those bikes that just goes when you mash the pedals.

Does that make more sense?
Old 09-23-10, 06:27 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Does that make more sense?
Makes perfect sense, like I said I wasn't trying to be a smart aleck or negative. Thanks for the reply, I look forward to reading your ride review for it.
Old 09-23-10, 06:30 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Why ? Risk, price and non-aero seem to make them about the worst choice for wheels.

I'm tempted to take my late 80's 3.0 for a ride. Can't remember what it was like.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 09-23-10 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-23-10, 07:19 AM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
Exactly. BTW...that CAAD3 frame was the one where Cippolini looked into the camea afer breaking the Giro stage win record and said, "Cannondale makes the best bikes."

Awesome!
Old 09-23-10, 07:27 AM
aham23
grilled cheesus

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9 Custom, 06 Giant TCR C2 & 05 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
all these "i got a CAAD10" post with no pics are dumb. post the pic so we can see it and give it the proper BF Caad love.

the 2010 frameset have the same MSRP as the 2009 @ $849.

what i enjoy most about my CAAD9 is the way the bike responds when i jump on it. instantly i feel the bike surge forward. later.
Old 09-23-10, 07:29 AM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The one question everyone asked yesterday was " That's aluminum?" It does look at first glance like a carbon frame because of the tube shapes.
That was exactly the first thing I thought when I saw one (same impression
with my Trek 1.5 too...people swore it was a Madone at first sight).

Matter of fact, the CAAD10 tubes remind me a lot of the Trek 1.5's.
Old 09-23-10, 07:37 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2ndGen

Old 09-23-10, 07:39 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Why? I don't know too many people with allezs, but I've only heard good things about them.
I'd buy a spooky before a specialized. Actually, I'm not sure which I'd like more the spooky or a 10. The spooky skeletor was a really sweet riding bike.

Also, I really don't like specialized, so I wouldn't buy one of their bikes.

The new Allez come with a 105 componentry. That doesn't really inspire confidence in a frame for me. If a company is selling a frame with mid line parts, then that says what their intentions of the frame is.

None of them suck, but all I'm saying is that if anyone knows Al, it's Cannondale.

Originally Posted by 2ndGen
That was exactly the first thing I thought when I saw one (same impression
with my Trek 1.5 too...people swore it was a Madone at first sight).

What came first, the chicken or the egg.

In this case, it was definitely the CAADs. i.e. you have that backwards.
Old 09-23-10, 07:41 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd buy a spooky before a specialized. Actually, I'm not sure which I'd like more the spooky or a 10. The spooky skeletor was a really sweet riding bike.

The new Allez come with a 105 componentry. That doesn't really inspire confidence in a frame for me. If a company is selling a frame with mid line parts, then that says what their intentions of the frame is.

None of them suck, but all I'm saying is that if anyone knows Al, it's Cannondale.
Spookys look so bad ass, they are just pretty pricy (especially now that the prices got raised). I'm just blown away that spec is selling the allez frameset for 550.
Old 09-23-10, 07:50 AM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

What came first, the chicken or the egg.

In this case, it was definitely the CAADs. i.e. you have that backwards.
Ok...show me a CAAD10 tube design in the CAAD series "BEFORE" the 1.5.
Compare the C9's straight classic down/top tubes to the 1.5's and to the C10's tapered tubes.
C10's also have straighter stays like 1.5's and "not" like the C9s.
Even the fork is straighter on the C10 like the 1.5's.
(Speaking as a previous owner of a 1.5, current owner of
a C9 and witness of an actual C10 sighting in person.)

CAAD9

Trek 1.5

CAAD10

Last edited by 2ndGen; 09-23-10 at 11:47 AM.
Old 09-23-10, 07:51 AM
2ndGen
CAADdict

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
This it?

Old 09-23-10, 10:10 AM
rankin116

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What does this even mean? What does this link tell you about Cannondale's intentions for the CAAD9 in 2009? https://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...cts/2009/Road/

Like the spec lists have nothing to do with costs of components or manufacturing, or distribution, or etc. C'mon dude, get a grip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.