Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Maintenance after long rainy ride

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-22, 09:06 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts

Over the weekend I rode a 600km brevet, almost all in light to medium heavy rain. It included twenty or so miles of gravel/dirt roads. At times my shoe covers were coated with a layer of mud and grit, later cleared off by rain.
Due to a last minute issue, i had a rear fender only, so you can imagine how much crap was flung onto the drivetrain.

Frame is steel, bearings are cartridge. Chain is newish, wheels are new, BB is pretty new.

I wonder what level of cleaning is recommended.
The next day, I hosed the bike down, washing away as much grit as possible from the drivetrain, disc calipers, derailleurs, and other surfaces. I then cleaned the exposed surfaces with a rag and Simple Green, rinsed, and wiped down what I could. Finally i applied chain lube, and sprayed WD-40 in all pivot points.

Brake pads are shot, so those will be replaced.

I wonder if i should go to the next level, disassembling jockey pulleys, replacing cables, even inspecting and potentially replacing bearings.
Old 06-11-22, 06:09 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Thoroughly clean drivetrain. Assess bearing smoothness, replace/repack as needed. Assess cable movement, replace as needed.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-11-22, 07:01 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 430 Posts
Ditto the above. I assume you were careful with the hose, and didn't direct a jet of water into the bearings. Cartridge seals aren't that good.

RD jockey wheels are easy enough to clean out when you get a chance. If you have external cable housing, the important piece to check and service is the loop at the RD. I have a bike with the loop run up the seat stay rather than the chain stay, and I have more problems with that than anything else in the rain.

Sometime soon you may want to take wheels off the bike to check the hubs, maybe even remove the crankset to check the BB. You may get a different feel in the bearings without the mass.

And service your frame pump if you have one, before it's too late and you need it. Ask me how I know.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 06-11-22, 07:36 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
And service your frame pump if you have one, before it's too late and you need it. Ask me how I know.
Excellent advice. These things lead a rough existence with almost complete neglect until the day you really need them. I've had the same experience! One way to help them survive is to wrap electrical tape over the valve end to keep out dirt and water when they aren't in use.
Old 06-11-22, 08:01 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Finally i applied chain lube, and sprayed WD-40 in all pivot points.
I recommend NOT using WD-40 on any lubed joints and bearings unless you plan on using it just for cleaning and use proper lubes afterwards. It has a solvent that will dissolve grease and WD-40 is a very poor replacement.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 06-11-22, 08:14 AM
crowbike

Bikes: 2023 Cervelo Soloist 2007 Specialized Tricross 2017 Colnago CRS 2001 Schwinn Homegrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 22 Posts
Remove the seatpost and invert the bike. If any water drains out leave the seatpost out for whatever time it takes dry.
Likes For crowbike:
Old 06-11-22, 02:44 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Over the weekend I rode a 600km brevet, almost all in light to medium heavy rain. It included twenty or so miles of gravel/dirt roads. At times my shoe covers were coated with a layer of mud and grit, later cleared off by rain.
Due to a last minute issue, i had a rear fender only, so you can imagine how much crap was flung onto the drivetrain.

Frame is steel, bearings are cartridge. Chain is newish, wheels are new, BB is pretty new.

I wonder what level of cleaning is recommended.
The next day, I hosed the bike down, washing away as much grit as possible from the drivetrain, disc calipers, derailleurs, and other surfaces. I then cleaned the exposed surfaces with a rag and Simple Green, rinsed, and wiped down what I could. Finally i applied chain lube, and sprayed WD-40 in all pivot points.

Brake pads are shot, so those will be replaced.

I wonder if i should go to the next level, disassembling jockey pulleys, replacing cables, even inspecting and potentially replacing bearings.
Lots of good advice in this thread. The question none of us can answer is how good the seals are on your bearings. With good seals, you probably would have no issues. With poor seals you might need to repack all the bearings. As suggested, turn your hub axles and crank with a light touch and feel for any grittiness. And as suggested, use a better lube that WD-40 for the various pivot points. A drop of actual oil would be a better approach. Let it soak in and maybe even go for a few rides, and then wipe everything to prevent gunk accumulation on oily surfaces.
Old 06-11-22, 04:37 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Originally Posted by HillRider
Excellent advice. These things lead a rough existence with almost complete neglect until the day you really need them. I've had the same experience! One way to help them survive is to wrap electrical tape over the valve end to keep out dirt and water when they aren't in use.
Indeed, I discovered the pump was essentially a squirt gun when i was cleaning things up. I've never seen that before. Lesson learned.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-11-22, 04:51 PM
downtube42

Thanks, good info. Looks like I have some more work to do this weekend.