Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Square taper crankarm's thread is stripped, what now?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-12-22, 12:36 AM
ClayH 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 20 Posts

We have a Santana tandem in for a tune. While installing new chains we discovered that the eccentric front bottom bracket would need adjusting. We have to remove both crank arms since both sides of the bottom bracket have to be adjusted equally. That is when we found that the captain's drive-side crank arm is stripped so a normal crank-puller tool won't work. We tried to get a gear puller from Harbor freight in there but the arms are thick and don't hook the back of the arm very solidly. We have to be careful so as not to damage this original, 30-year-old bottom bracket.

We also tried a torch thinking the arm might heat up more than the spindle...to no avail.

Any suggestions for getting this arm off using other methods/tools? Your creativity will be appreciated.
Old 09-12-22, 02:28 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
1. A split plate type puller, assuming you can fit it in.
2. I’m assuming you want a non destructive method, but cutting a split in the crank arm will get it off.
3. Supporting the bike with the BB spindle resting on something to protect the bearings, you can gradually tap the arm off. This doesn’t really work well with non drive side arms.
4. Assuming you can get the other side off and remove the crank and BB from the frame, if you know someone with an arbor press they may be able to press it out.
5. Once upon a time I saw a kit for tapping a slightly larger thread in the dust cover location for just this issue, not sure how common those are.
6. If you only want to save the arm and not the spindle, you can always grind the spindle out. However this might cost you more time and grinder bits than the part is worth.

Say you do get it off, are you planning to put it back on again and repeat next time, or are you planning to replace the stripped part?
Old 09-12-22, 05:53 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,343 Posts
Quick. Easy, and gentle on components.

Jacobs chuck wedges, #6.

Fill the space with cone wrenches to get within the working range.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 09-12-22, 07:38 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Gear puller will work but (1) you have to put something in/on the BB spindle to push against - a partially inserted crank bolt sticking out proud of the crank arm will work, and (2) you may need some additional plan for holding the 'fingers' of the puller on the back of the arm - a large pair of vise grips or a clamp or a friend holding a pair of channel lock pliers, just to keep the fingers from slipping off the back of the arm.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 09-12-22, 07:45 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Something is not making sense, you should be able to adjust the chain tension with the cranks on.

2x on the wedges for the removal. I've also used the pickle fork method.
Old 09-12-22, 07:52 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Jacobs-6...3269/205565213

Last edited by dedhed; 09-12-22 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-12-22, 09:14 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Pickle fork. $13 at the O’Reilly’s near me. Put it between the frame and the crank arm and whack the end of the fork with a hammer. Should pop off without much effort.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-12-22, 09:15 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by dedhed
Your link is very bad. You should check it.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-12-22, 10:58 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by ClayH
We have a Santana tandem in for a tune. While installing new chains we discovered that the eccentric front bottom bracket would need adjusting. We have to remove both crank arms since both sides of the bottom bracket have to be adjusted equally. That is when we found that the captain's drive-side crank arm is stripped so a normal crank-puller tool won't work. We tried to get a gear puller from Harbor freight in there but the arms are thick and don't hook the back of the arm very solidly. We have to be careful so as not to damage this original, 30-year-old bottom bracket.

We also tried a torch thinking the arm might heat up more than the spindle...to no avail.

Any suggestions for getting this arm off using other methods/tools? Your creativity will be appreciated.
I assume you work in a shop. It might be worth your while to invest in something like this. https://steintool.com/portfolio-item...ractor-system/
Not worth it for a one time use but mine has been worth it over the years
Likes For Dan Burkhart:
Old 09-12-22, 12:01 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I'm guessing you're getting a security warning from your browser. I've seen that numerous times here that turned out to be false alarms.

The BF software defaults all links to HTTPS - even if the original link posted is non-secure HTTP. My guess is that the original link was nonsecure HTTP and that the site in question doesn't do HTTPS properly (or at all). Even today, some sites don't support HTTPS for all links.

The nonsecure version of the link worked for me. Simply delete the "s" from the leading "https:" in your browser's URL window, then refresh/reload the page. (Depending on your browser's settings, you may have to enable nonsecure HTTP also).
Old 09-12-22, 12:07 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,916 Posts
SSL certificate is expired:
Issued On Sunday, August 12, 2018 at 7:00:00 PM
Expires On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at 7:00:00 AM
Old 09-12-22, 07:57 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Hondo6
I'm guessing you're getting a security warning from your browser. I've seen that numerous times here that turned out to be false alarms.

The BF software defaults all links to HTTPS - even if the original link posted is non-secure HTTP. My guess is that the original link was nonsecure HTTP and that the site in question doesn't do HTTPS properly (or at all). Even today, some sites don't support HTTPS for all links.

The nonsecure version of the link worked for me. Simply delete the "s" from the leading "https:" in your browser's URL window, then refresh/reload the page. (Depending on your browser's settings, you may have to enable nonsecure HTTP also).
Not only the security warning but the page I navigated away from was replaced with a website in an east Asian language that was a devil to get rid of.

Old 09-12-22, 08:05 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
I assume you work in a shop. It might be worth your while to invest in something like this. https://steintool.com/portfolio-item...ractor-system/
...I bought one, too, and I don't have a shop. It's been well worth the initial investment to me over a period of 8 years or so.
I originally bought it when I was working Saturdays at the bike co-op here. I was seeing more and more stripped crank arms from people who didn't understand how to pull one without damaging it.

I have some of those Jacobs chuck wedges, and while they usually work, the Stein tool is just easier to use and allows you to effect a repair to the stripped threads, via an insert.
Old 09-12-22, 10:34 PM
ClayH 

Originally Posted by jccaclimber
1. A split plate type puller, assuming you can fit it in.
2. I’m assuming you want a non destructive method, but cutting a split in the crank arm will get it off.
3. Supporting the bike with the BB spindle resting on something to protect the bearings, you can gradually tap the arm off. This doesn’t really work well with non drive side arms.
4. Assuming you can get the other side off and remove the crank and BB from the frame, if you know someone with an arbor press they may be able to press it out.
5. Once upon a time I saw a kit for tapping a slightly larger thread in the dust cover location for just this issue, not sure how common those are.
6. If you only want to save the arm and not the spindle, you can always grind the spindle out. However this might cost you more time and grinder bits than the part is worth.

Say you do get it off, are you planning to put it back on again and repeat next time, or are you planning to replace the stripped part?
We are replacing the crankarm, want to save the spindle and BB. I think we are going to go through a couple of dremel wheels tomorrow.
Likes For ClayH:
Old 09-12-22, 10:57 PM
cyccommute 

We are replacing the crankarm, want to save the spindle and BB. I think we are going to go through a couple of dremel wheels tomorrow.
If you don’t want to spend the money for a pickle fork, you might look into loaner tools at Autozone. They have pickle forks you can borrow. Put the bike on your car and you can probably knock off the crank in the parking lot.

Old 09-12-22, 11:49 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26247 Post(s)
Liked 10,229 Times in 7,098 Posts
...once more, unless you are somehow pressed for time, with the oversized crank puller from Stein and the repair inserts they sell with it as a kit, you can repair that crank arm.
Easily repair stripped out extractor threads with this piloted tap. The threads are larger in diameter than the original and have a coarser pitch, and can be used to remove the crank arm, which can then be replaced or put back into service with our dust cap extractors and made as good as new.

The set includes:
  • Pilots for 8 and 15 mm internally threaded spindles (typical of square taper and ISIS spindles) and 10 mm stud type spindles
  • Precision made hardened tool steel piloted tap
  • Heavy duty shop type extractor
  • Two dust cap-type one key release extractors (also available separately)
This is the best solution for removing stripped out crank arms AND they will be as good as new when the one key release extractors are installed!

https://steintool.com/portfolio-item...ractor-system/
...no cutting, no grinding, no pounding. Piloted tap so it goes in straight. Repair insert restores the original threading. The whole kit costs $120.
Old 09-12-22, 11:56 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
That won’t be too bad. Stop a bit shy of the spindle and use something to split the very last part.
Old 09-13-22, 01:53 AM
Gary Young

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
If you don't intend to reuse the crank, Unior makes a puller (#1662/4) that cuts new threads. The advantage over the Stein tool is that it's considerably cheaper. I find it takes less effort than a picklefork and it's more portable.
Likes For Gary Young:
Old 09-13-22, 07:34 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3429 Post(s)
Liked 2,817 Times in 1,717 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Young
The advantage over the Stein tool is that it's considerably cheaper. I find it takes less effort than a picklefork and it's more portable.
For a bike shop, the Stein is the no-brainer. Cost--at $120--should be a non-issue.
Old 09-13-22, 08:45 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
The easiest thing to do is remove the bolt and ride the bike. The crank arm will probably loosen up pretty quickly, but you never know as it might be corroded/frozen in place. Works every time.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 09-13-22, 09:39 AM
MudPie

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Pretty slick system, and saves purchase of new crank set. $120 for tool and two extractors doesn't seem to costly. Good to know it exists and within budget striking distance, if I ever need. Better yet, I'll convince my tool-junkie friend to buy, and I'll just borrow as required.
Old 09-13-22, 02:29 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
The easiest thing to do is remove the bolt and ride the bike. The crank arm will probably loosen up pretty quickly, but you never know as it might be corroded/frozen in place. Works every time.
There is that. Perhaps don’t remove the bolt completely so that the crank doesn’t fall off, however.

Old 09-13-22, 09:47 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Counter experience, couldn't get the DS SqTr crank off my bent about 12 yrs ago and dropped the project for a time, then finished the rebuild but forgot
the crank fixing bolt. Rode bike ~8-9 miles before it finally broke loose, had to one leg it 3-4 miles back to the car, using my R foot to hold the crank on.
So yes it works, but may take longer than expected or a good high torque hill climb to break loose.
Old 09-14-22, 12:24 AM
ClayH 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...once more, unless you are somehow pressed for time, with the oversized crank puller from Stein and the repair inserts they sell with it as a kit, you can repair that crank arm.

...no cutting, no grinding, no pounding. Piloted tap so it goes in straight. Repair insert restores the original threading. The whole kit costs $120.

That tool looks great. Thanks for the tip.
Old 09-15-22, 03:03 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
There is that. Perhaps don’t remove the bolt completely so that the crank doesn’t fall off, however.
I was giving the benefit of the doubt to the OP that they would realize the need to carry the bolt with them for when the crank arm loosened.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.