Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

The Helmet Thread 2

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.
View Poll Results: What Are Your Helmet Wearing Habits?
I've never worn a bike helmet
10.40%
I used to wear a helmet, but have stopped
4.80%
I've always worn a helmet
41.60%
I didn't wear a helmet, but now do
25.20%
I sometimes wear a helmet depending on the conditions
18.00%
Voters: 500. You may not vote on this poll

The Helmet Thread 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-22, 08:26 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
The one thing I find annoying about helmet rhetoric is whenever a cyclist crashes or collides with a motor vehicle. The response from unaffiliated parties is always the same: "It's a good thing they were wearing a helmet." It's spoken even when the cyclist didn't hit their head. Nobody says it's a good thing you car had airbags in a low-speed collision where the airbags didn't deploy.
Or when they're squashed by a cement truck. Sure, the cyclist would have lived, if only they'd been wearing a foam hat. ::eyeroll::
Old 10-19-22, 01:48 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Every objection to the use of bike helmets applies to every other type of helmet. A helmet won't save a soldier from a direct hit from a tank shell or a construction worker from being crushed by a steel girder, so why should they bother to use helmets?
Old 10-24-22, 10:06 AM
eythan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I started wearing mine 100% of the time about 3 years ago.. since then, it has saved my bacon twice. Now I won't even test a bike out without one.

It indeed won't save me from a car hit, but It sure works to iron out my clumsiness!
Old 11-12-22, 02:33 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Here's an interesting article about MIPS helmets. I don't have one, and now I don't feel bad about it.
Old 11-24-22, 11:29 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Every objection to the use of bike helmets applies to every other type of helmet. A helmet won't save a soldier from a direct hit from a tank shell or a construction worker from being crushed by a steel girder, so why should they bother to use helmets?
But what if the construction worker is only hit by a nut or bolt that has fallen a couple hundred feet. I bet he would be glad he had a steel helmet.
Old 11-24-22, 11:54 AM
Trakhak

Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
But what if the construction worker is only hit by a nut or bolt that has fallen a couple hundred feet. I bet he would be glad he had a steel helmet.
Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I was arguing in favor of bike helmets.

People often argue against the use of bike helmets by pointing out that a helmet won't save a rider who is hit head on by a car traveling 60 miles per hour. My point was that extreme examples can be used to argue against the use of any type of helmet---military, construction, etc. If only extreme circumstances are considered, then all helmets are arguably useless.

By the way, I believe that most modern construction helmets are polyethylene, not steel.
Old 11-24-22, 12:02 PM
alanf

Bikes: Devinci Millenium, Gary Fisher Joshua

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I worked with a guy that had a gold coloured construction helmet. He was awarded it by the company because his prior helmet saved his life.
Old 11-24-22, 12:58 PM
M1T

Bikes: Several Italian bikes from the 50's - 83, 4 English Lightweights (1949-1970), Riding bikes-Trek 760, SOMA Triple Cross gravel bike, SOMA SAGA DC touring bike, Pivot Les Fat for winter riding and long distance bikepacking. One modern Carbon bike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 32 Posts
Head first into a roadside marker

Saved my life? Guessing yes: Concussion, whiplash, broken neck, and shattered T3

My skull would have looked like the inside of the helmet (see photos). This was the result of a 15 MPH crash.
Old 01-17-23, 03:51 AM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 219 Times in 139 Posts
The Cult of Bike Helmets

Interesting article from slate .com:
https://slate.com/technology/2023/01...d-to-wear.html

They make the case that mandatory helmet laws for bicycles are counterproductive. Very interesting.
Old 01-17-23, 06:48 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
I noticed a father and son riding Sunday. The child looked to be 7-9 years old. I was surprised that neither wore a helmet. I do think there is a helmet requirement here for children under 12.

For me, wearing a helmet is like using seatbelts. It is just something I naturally do.
Old 01-17-23, 06:54 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Their entire premise is ridiculous. If helmets make cycling seem too dangerous, then airbags in cars should make you want to walk. Their statistic about more cycling deaths don't take into account that more people are riding, and more drivers are distracted while driving.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 01-17-23, 06:54 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 843 Posts
one of my new year resolutions is to stop wearing a helmet. I am 64yoa and never started wearing a helmet until I started racing and was required to wear one. So it has been about 40 years of wearing one but this is the year I stop. Probably going to feel weird for a while. I will however wear a helmet when I am on a beer drinking ride...

Last edited by jadmt; 01-17-23 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-17-23, 07:08 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Laws mandating bicycle helmets due to collisions with motorists instead of stricter traffic enforcement is like mandating flak jackets for students instead of...well, you know.

But I wear my helmet to mount my camera and head light.
Old 01-17-23, 08:32 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Putting the responsibility of safety solely on individual shoulders all but guarantees failure, said Kathleen Bachynski, an assistant professor of public health at Muhlenberg College, in Allentown, Pennsylvania, who has studied bike helmet and sports injuries. “It’s an enormous burden,” she said. Asking individuals to spend money on helmets, lights, and reflective gear without investing in better transit culture ignores the fact that the real danger to cyclists comes from behind the wheel, not from behind handlebars.

“We can talk about bike helmets because it’s something we can blame for individual decision-making,” said Alison Bateman-House, an ethicist and medical historian at New York University who has studied mandatory helmet laws.
Are these laws really designed to prevent injury or shift responsibility when an injury occurs?

In North Carolina, contributory negligence law prevents a someone from recovering any damages in an accident if their "negligence" is found to have contributed in any way to the incident or its outcome. This means that if a victim is only 1% "at fault" then they are prevented from making any recovery for their injuries. Not wearing a helmet, whether or not it was a significant factor, could be seen as "contributory". AFAIK, NC is one of the 2 states in the country that has not adopted a shared or comparative negligence law, so victims are sometimes out of luck. There is a bill before our General Assembly to change this, though.
Old 01-17-23, 08:35 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,566 Times in 3,764 Posts
Merged new helmet thread into the existing Helmet Thread 2.

Old 01-17-23, 09:29 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Their entire premise is ridiculous. If helmets make cycling seem too dangerous, then airbags in cars should make you want to walk.
I'd just make a straight comparison: if helmets make cycling seem dangerous then wearing a helmet while driving should make you want to walk.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 01-17-23, 01:13 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by HelpSingularity
Interesting article from slate .com:
https://slate.com/technology/2023/01...d-to-wear.html

They make the case that mandatory helmet laws for bicycles are counterproductive. Very interesting.
Some of the comments on the Slate.com site are just as wacky and hysterical as found on BF about the alleged protective powers of bicycle helmets.
Old 01-17-23, 01:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Moe Zhoost
Are these laws really designed to prevent injury or shift responsibility when an injury occurs?
When the all-ages mandatory cycling helmet law passed in Vancouver, WA it was primarily used as a tool to harass the homeless population. After it passed it was easy for a LEO to spot a guy they don't like, then use their lack of helmet while cycling as a pretense to detain them, run their ID, etc.
Old 01-27-23, 07:44 PM
Joearch

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV Disc Ultegra

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 31 Posts
Wear your helmet!

Had a pretty good wipe out this morning. Had to make a sudden course adjustment to avoid another cyclist turning in front of me. Happened on slick smooth concrete and I guess to much rear brake. Went into a skid as I swerved and bike lost all traction. Next thing I new I was horizontal and going down hard. My leg, hip, shoulder and side of the helmet took the force of the fall. I am guessing the POC/Rapha helmet saved me. The styrofoam material on that side of the helmet fractured in a few places. Done with my favorite helmet! In any case I biked away. Not alot of choice as I was almost 20 miles from home. Sore but okay. Bianchi took a couple of scratches on the shifter and tape, but no frame damage. Happened so quickly.

QUALITY HELMET WAS CRITICAL.
Old 02-08-23, 08:16 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Weenie hats

I've been solidly hair in the wind since i could pedal. But, since 60 has come and gone I'm thinking I don't want the next fall to be "the fall" is there any real difference in brands, or is any weenie hat pretty much ok?
I was looking here https://weightweenies.starbike.com/l...p?type=helmets
Old 02-08-23, 08:21 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Any will do better then nothing. Get one from the WlaMart till ya make up your mind what ya rally want.

I am not a mandatory helmet nazi, but wearing a helmet has definitely saved my life for sure. Start wearing one as soon as you can...
Old 02-08-23, 08:28 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Helmets are kind of a personal thing. They all seem to fit differently. Go to a LBS and try on different brands and different models. Find the most comfortable and make certain the strap fits snuggly under the chin. Helmets work. They have saved my head in the past.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 02-08-23, 08:32 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 416 Times in 217 Posts
Those all appear to be from like 20 years ago... I don't know why you would buy a vintage helmet.
They have actually changed too, we got MIPS now. Supposed to help.

Imo the most critical thing is that it is comfortable and fits you well. Which requires trying a few on. They are 'universal', but different ones suit different people. Especially if you're between sizes.
Likes For Soody:
Old 02-08-23, 09:22 PM
Chuckk
Groupetto Dragon-Ass

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 368 Posts
Anything you could buy at WalMart would be better than my collection of vintage wear

Like any cap, they keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
And the brains inside
Likes For Chuckk:
Old 02-08-23, 09:27 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 1,894 Times in 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
Anything you could buy at WalMart would be better than my collection of vintage wear
What's that one closest to camera? Never seen anything like it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.