Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bifocal Sunglasses

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bifocal Sunglasses

Old 07-28-20, 10:51 PM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
Bifocal Sunglasses

I'm looking for bifocal sunglasses for cycling. Has anyone bought glasses from Dual Eyeware? Comments? Alternatives?

Thank you,
Robert
Old 07-29-20, 12:14 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yep, I got the Dual FL1 (now discontinued), their lowest priced bifocal sunglasses, almost exactly a year ago. They're fine, no problems. I'd consider getting another pair, if they made some without a frame over the brow. The Dual FL1 doesn't hinder my view.

I was generally satisfied with low priced Radians bifocals for only $10, but the frame over the brow blocked my view slightly when I was in the drops. The Dual FL1 had no frame over the brow of the lens, so it's better suited for my road bike rides. I still wear the Radians clear and sunglass bifocals on my hybrid -- no problems with the frame hindering my view.
Old 07-29-20, 06:50 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,001 Posts
Yeah.. I tried the Duals.. once. Nothing wrong with them, maybe just me. I got them to supposedly make it easier to switch from road distance to garmin, but found that it doesn't work for me at that intermediate distance that my out-front garmin sits at, or it just took too long for me to get my eyes to refocus correctly.
Old 07-29-20, 07:20 AM
ridenow
Let's hammer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've had several sets of them. Work great. Nice and light. I wear contacts, and their coverage is good for keeping the wind out and preventing dryness.
Old 07-29-20, 08:07 AM
mac_flyer9

Bikes: 2002 Airborne Manhattan Project / 2019 Trek Domane SLR

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts
I use hydrostatic readers on my regular sunglasses. May be an option for you. Sport RX also has some prescription options available, but at a cost. Good Luck.
Old 07-29-20, 08:52 AM
TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Tifosi makes some sunglasses with readers built in that work well for cycling.
https://www.tifosioptics.com/bifocal-cycling-glasses/
Old 07-29-20, 09:04 AM
Gundo

Bikes: Domane SLR 7

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I have the Tifosi reader sunglasses and am very happy with them. I need the readers for my Wahoo computer and to read any cue sheets I might have. The sunglasses are good. Stay in place and provide good coverage.
Old 07-29-20, 10:43 AM
Robert A

So, just a basic question about optics and overall quality. Is there any meaningful difference between the brands discussed here (Tifosi, Dual, etc.), all of which are reasonably priced, and the Oakleys and others that cost four times the price?
Old 07-29-20, 12:26 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I got my Rx Oakleys from SportRx. They came with genuine Oakley Rx lenses and I have had zero issues with them.
Old 07-29-20, 12:29 PM
Robert A

Originally Posted by oldwinger14
I got my Rx Oakleys from SportRx. They came with genuine Oakley Rx lenses and I have had zero issues with them.
Okay, but that's prescription. I'm only looking for nonprescription bifocals.
Old 07-29-20, 12:31 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Originally Posted by Robert A
Okay, but that's prescription. I'm only looking for nonprescription bifocals.
Sorry....missed that you were focused on non-Rx sunglasses!
Old 07-29-20, 12:34 PM
Robert A

Originally Posted by oldwinger14
Sorry....missed that you were focused on non-Rx sunglasses!
No prob -- I wear prescription most of the time, but my vision is good enough on the bike without, except for reading. I trash cycling glasses, so paying for Rx for the bike is a waste for me.
Old 07-29-20, 01:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 3,299 Posts
You can find these at a lot of places online. They are very hard to find locally. Cheap and who cares if they get run over or stepped on. Use a cotton towel to clean them and they'll last years. Use a paper towel to clean them and they'll last two weeks.

For bright sun

For overcast days

For night time and very low light
Old 07-29-20, 02:51 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Id go hydrostatic readers for glasses https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hydrotac-...-1-50/38092965
a variety of magnifications
https://www.walmart.com/ip/OPTX-20-2...ll&athena=true
Old 07-29-20, 03:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

So, just a basic question about optics and overall quality. Is there any meaningful difference between the brands discussed here (Tifosi, Dual, etc.), all of which are reasonably priced, and the Oakleys and others that cost four times the price?
I don't see any difference in lens quality between my cheap Radians bifocals, Dual FL1 bifocals, and decent quality reading glasses. They're remarkably good for, presumably, polycarbonate lenses in affordable products.

So far no scuffs on the Dual lenses, and only minor scuffs on the Radians. But I've had the Radians longer and tend to be careless with 'em. I've stuffed them into a jersey pocket with my keys, asthma inhaler, pepper spray on a metal D-clip, etc., and dropped the glasses on the pavement several times. Not bad at all for the money.

However, again, if you ride in the drops a lot or use aero bars, do consider frameless lenses, or at least glasses that omit the brow frame. That slight obstruction really annoys me with I'm trying to get as aero as possible. But for riding the hoods and tops, or my hybrids, no problem, the glasses frame doesn't matter.
Old 07-29-20, 03:59 PM
Robert A

Originally Posted by canklecat
I don't see any difference in lens quality between my cheap Radians bifocals, Dual FL1 bifocals, and decent quality reading glasses. They're remarkably good for, presumably, polycarbonate lenses in affordable products.

So far no scuffs on the Dual lenses, and only minor scuffs on the Radians. But I've had the Radians longer and tend to be careless with 'em. I've stuffed them into a jersey pocket with my keys, asthma inhaler, pepper spray on a metal D-clip, etc., and dropped the glasses on the pavement several times. Not bad at all for the money.

However, again, if you ride in the drops a lot or use aero bars, do consider frameless lenses, or at least glasses that omit the brow frame. That slight obstruction really annoys me with I'm trying to get as aero as possible. But for riding the hoods and tops, or my hybrids, no problem, the glasses frame doesn't matter.
Yeah, and just so you know, I often thread my glasses through my shifter cabling when not in use, where they often drop on the rough pavement (or worse). So spending $175 on name-brand glasses is a waste.
Likes For Robert A:
Old 07-29-20, 04:33 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Ditto, I'm kinda careless with glasses because I don't (yet) need prescription glasses. At 62 I just have the usual presbyopia, which these safety glasses/bifocals neatly solve. They're good and affordable. And, recently, posterior vitreous detachment, which nothing solves ... other than not getting old.
Old 07-29-20, 05:14 PM
oldwinger14

No prob -- I wear prescription most of the time, but my vision is good enough on the bike without, except for reading. I trash cycling glasses, so paying for Rx for the bike is a waste for me.
I found that when I got my more costly Rx Oakleys, that I have been very diligent at taking care of them and I hope it continues....but you never know. Even as adults, things happen!
Old 06-10-21, 07:36 PM
KJK

Bikes: 2022 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Disc, 1982 Bianchi Super Leggera

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
MSC has a selection of tinted safety glasses with built-in readers of varying strengths. I've been using them for a few years now.
Old 06-11-21, 09:56 AM
Sojodave

Bikes: The Blurple Specialized Roubaix Pro

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 75 Posts
I have a pair of Dual sunglasses with a bifocal. The biggest problem is that your GPS unit needs to be on your stem. If it's out front, your bifocal doesn't hit the right area of the eye and it doesn't help.