Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

recreating my rides

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-21, 10:16 AM
psuchuck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
recreating my rides

Hi all, I'm looking for some help.

I acquired a new wahoo kickr that I'm excited to use this winter. I'm not really interested in zwift of others. I just want to rerun my rides that I have saved on Strava. If anyone is doing that, can you please let me know how to do it? I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 11-07-21, 11:02 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
As far as I know, you can record your indoor rides TO Strava ( How to Record an Indoor Cycling Ride with Strava (indoorcyclingtips.com) ) but there is no way to transmit your rides FROM Strava to a smart trainer.
Old 11-07-21, 11:51 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I've done this on Rouvy. Upload the gps file but unless you upload video of the route you will only see your progress on the map.
Old 11-07-21, 12:17 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
In retrospect (20-20); an action cam would have been very handy to record all those rides, or at least a few of the epic ones. Depending on location and weather you could still do that.
Old 11-07-21, 12:22 PM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
And then there are these

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVb...SCqGDs6-_awaDg

I really like all that Euro stuff without suffering the jet lag and the expense. There are even some that I cycled way back in the 50s and 60s.
Old 11-07-21, 04:38 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
here is a free solution. quite boring but does the trick...

https://www.bikeforums.net/indoor-st...plication.html
Old 11-07-21, 04:48 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
BKool allows you to upload gps routes which you can then re-ride on your trainer. I haven't used it in the last year, but it was a bit hit and miss when I tried it. The gradient transitions are sometimes pretty dubious.
Old 11-27-21, 03:14 AM
grosey

Bikes: Planet X EC130

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
In RGT you can upload GPS files as 'Magic Roads'. (premium version). It will then create a virtual road for you to ride and track the route/gradient of the GPS file.

One thing you need is good GPS data, as I've experienced cycling on 0% gradient then in an instant it's 25% and the trainer locks up!

To avoid this you need to smooth the GPS file to take out any bad data This can be done with gpx smoother and gpx magic.
Old 11-27-21, 09:44 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,856 Times in 6,071 Posts
Originally Posted by grosey
In RGT you can upload GPS files as 'Magic Roads'. (premium version). It will then create a virtual road for you to ride and track the route/gradient of the GPS file.

One thing you need is good GPS data, as I've experienced cycling on 0% gradient then in an instant it's 25% and the trainer locks up!

To avoid this you need to smooth the GPS file to take out any bad data This can be done with gpx smoother and gpx magic.
I wonder if you'd get better data by plotting a route on Strava using the 'follow roads' setting. I've had Strava (or Garmin, or whoever) miss roads I was riding on, which no doubt screwed up the elevation profile.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 11-27-21, 10:59 AM
Jose R
downtube shifter

Bikes: Custom DeanUSA El Diente CTI, Rich Adams Track, Johnny Coast Fixed, Argon18 Gallium Pro

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I use the Garmin Tacx software app with my smart trainer, and I have imported saved GPS files (.gpx or .tcx). I have manually created routes in Strava, downloaded the .gpx file, and imported the file into the Tacx software. I then ride the route in GPS mode.
Old 12-23-21, 12:50 PM
Redbullet

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by psuchuck
Hi all, I'm looking for some help.

I acquired a new wahoo kickr that I'm excited to use this winter. I'm not really interested in zwift of others. I just want to rerun my rides that I have saved on Strava. If anyone is doing that, can you please let me know how to do it? I really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chuck
Yes, sure, there is at least one cycling application where you can upload your GPX files from your Strava rides or from other sources (with some modifications in order to smooth the rough GPS file; they also have an app that does that with a single click of a button). The scenery is standard generated by application, but road shape and gradients are very close to the real ones.
But wouldn't be masked marketing to post the names of the applications here?...